View Full Version : Be Careful About Installing Software on Your New Windows Mobile 5 Device

Mike Temporale
11-18-2005, 09:00 PM
I've had my i-mate SP5m for almost 2 weeks now and it's been a great experience, with one small exception. I mistakenly installed an application that didn't support Windows Mobile 5 yet. While this shouldn't be a big problem, it was. The program installed fine, but wouldn't run. So I attempted to uninstall it. Unfortunately, it wouldn't uninstall. I tried more than a couple times. It would appear to go through the motions, but nothing changed. What's worse is that it created an error when the phone started up. Something about failed to find some DLL. :(

So, what does all this mean? Hard Reset. It's a shame that I've had to take such a drastic approach to such a new device. I figured it was better to reset the device to normal and play a little more careful from now on. ;) I would have installed Sprite Backup, but they don't even support Windows Mobile 5 yet. :( And given my recent problems doing a restore with the competitors backup tool, I wasn't about to try them again. :evil:

The point of all this? Be careful about the applications you install on your new device! ;)

Jerry Raia
11-19-2005, 01:51 AM
Now there is bound to be some growing pains with a new OS and device. Hard resets are good for the soul. :lol:

Kris Kumar
11-19-2005, 03:08 AM
Mike, I hope you learnt a lesson. Serves you right for not listening to me and Jerry. ;-) :-)

Oh my god! I am sounding like Jerry!

Jerry Raia
11-19-2005, 03:10 AM
...and what is wrong with that?? 8)

ARW
11-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Anybody tried to run Power Tasks on their WM5 device?

It's the only thing that isn't working on my SP5m that in theory should be working. Developerone says the pre-release should be no problem, but it freezes my phone up any time I edit or create a new task. Further, there is no uninstall in remove programs so I can't cet rid of it.

Guess I'll have to try a hard reset and look for another Task solution.

encece
11-19-2005, 12:54 PM
PowerTasks didn't work for me either, Though PowerCalendar did I think. I use Facade on my homescreen so I didnt really need either anymore.

An cool thing about WM5 is that when uninstalling a program, and it has trouble doing so, it pops up a message saying the uninstall was incomplete, but do you want to remove it from your programs list anyway. Then you can go delete the rest of the program yourself.

But the reason I think I am getting this problem is that the phone seems to have trouble deleteing things from the storage card. I can end all tasks and then manually delete things, but there seems to be an end process command missing when uninstalling applications. I dont remember needing to end all tasks before uninstalling anthing in WM2003.

Another example of this is while using BeezStream Podcast application. After listening to the podcast, I chose to delete the MP3 file....which it could not do. I needed to end the WMP process. Then delete the file manually. There is something funky going on there.

Mike Temporale
11-19-2005, 01:09 PM
An cool thing about WM5 is that when uninstalling a program, and it has trouble doing so, it pops up a message saying the uninstall was incomplete, but do you want to remove it from your programs list anyway. Then you can go delete the rest of the program yourself.

huh? I never got this message. Mine went through the motions, reported that everything was gone, but if you looked in the start menu you would find the icon, and all the files are still on the phone. :?

But the reason I think I am getting this problem is that the phone seems to have trouble deleteing things from the storage card. I can end all tasks and then manually delete things, but there seems to be an end process command missing when uninstalling applications. I dont remember needing to end all tasks before uninstalling anthing in WM2003.

Well, I never had to end any processes before uninstalling on my 5600 and I haven't run into that on this phone - yet. I do recall checking the task manager to make sure the program wasn't running after a couple failed uninstall attempts. I even restarted the phone. Nothing seemed to fix it. :(

Mike Temporale
11-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Mike, I hope you learnt a lesson. Serves you right for not listening to me and Jerry. ;-) :-)

Oh my god! I am sounding like Jerry!

...and what is wrong with that?? 8)

:mrgreen: I listened. I just didn't pay attention. ;)