View Full Version : What will it take for your industry to consider a smartphone powerful enough to have it's own support budget?

gearman_boston
11-15-2005, 01:10 AM
I am a B.S. in Computer Engineering Technology, I have been looking for a position developing these devices.

In Colleges there are only three pieces of software that are required Microsoft Word (Any Version not Pocket Word) by the English Department (Published Quality), Any Spreadsheet including shareware or freeware, Mathworks MathLab for the Math Graduate Student and an Antivirus to protect Professors research. Most Professors demand computer print outs because paper kills all computer viruses. There are slots under the Professors door to shove papers under doors.

Giving a Professor a computer virus is a guarentied F! I have seen it happen!

Smartphones cannot run these software packages except a spreadsheet , someone will have to make an anti-virus software package.

The Air Force says it has to be used as an encripted paperless fax machine, that makes every electronic tracable, with no manpower on the budget.

What will a Smartphone have to do to have a support budget in your industry?

Mike Temporale
11-15-2005, 03:03 AM
Hi gearman, welcome to the site. Just a quick note; I've moved your post over here to the Just Chattin' forum. It doesn't really have much to do with buying or selling. ;)

In Colleges there are only three pieces of software that are required Microsoft Word (Any Version not Pocket Word) by the English Department (Published Quality), Any Spreadsheet including shareware or freeware, Mathworks MathLab for the Math Graduate Student and an Antivirus to protect Professors research.

Isn't that 4? Word, Excel, Mathworks, and AntiVirus. ;)

Smartphones cannot run these software packages except a spreadsheet , someone will have to make an anti-virus software package.

Hold on there! Yes they can.

Word - Maybe not your standard word processor, but you can use SmartphoneNotes, or Orneta's Notepad to jot down stuff.

Excel - Again, not the official one, but there is a spreadsheet app out there.

Mathworks - well, this is a pretty specific app - I've never heard of it, at least. So I can't comment on it. But I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't run on the Smartphone.

AntiVirus - There are a number of antivirus solutions for the Smartphone. AirScanner, eTrust, etc... Todate, there are still no virus's for the Smartphone, so it's kind of a waste. :D

If you really need these apps to be more complete versions, you should check out a Pocket PC Phone Edition device. Outside of that, you'll have to get yourself a OQO or something. :wink:

Jerry Raia
11-15-2005, 06:25 AM
My insider sources tell me there might be a math/graphics calculator program in the works. :worried: