View Full Version : Going Mobile With Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition

Mike Temporale
11-08-2005, 08:00 PM
As many of you are already aware, Microsoft has just launched Visual Studio 2005. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio) This latest release allows you to build dynamic Windows, Web, Mobile, and Office-based solutions. Microsoft has created a number of different Visual Studio editions like Team, Professional, Office, Standard, and Express. Express is aimed at the hobbyist and beginner level developer. It's free for 1 year, and allows you to build experience and familiarity with the tools for a low entry cost.

The Express Edition (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx) offers almost all the same functionality as the Standard edition with the exception of a couple small things. The biggest one that you should be concerned about is that you cannot create Mobile solutions using Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition. I know this sounds like a huge limitation, and that it could be a show stopper for many of you, but it's not really as bad as it sounds. Here's a couple things you should keep in mind. While you can't create any new projects, you can continue to open and edit your existing projects. So you are not forced to run out and buy the full Visual Studio until you are ready to take on a new project. Also, it's worth mentioning that with ASP.NET, while you can't create a new Mobile site, you can create a new site that is mobile aware. All the standard ASP.NET controls are browser aware, and will display differently based on the browser that is connecting.

So, all hope is not lost. If you really must have the ability to create a new Mobile project, then you're going to have to shell out a little money. However, if you can live with open/edit of existing projects, then you'll be more than happy with the Express Editions. You can find out more, and even download a copy for free from the Microsoft website. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx) :)

Kris Kumar
11-09-2005, 05:54 AM
Express is FREE - wise move by Microsoft. 8)

BUT I am not happy with the fact that mobile developers cannot use Express or that Microsoft did not release an Express for Mobile version. Opening and editing project files seems like gimmicks to me. Can I build/compile the mobile solutions? I am positive that I will not be able to debug them. :evil:

The Standard and Professional versions are way too EXPENSIVE. I don't think mobile developers can make enough profit to break even. It is definitely not worth buying the development tool for just one or two applications. :evil:

Neil
11-09-2005, 08:08 AM
To clarify, the Express versions do not support mobile device development. There is no design-time support, you can't install the SDKs for Windows Mobile 5 in it, there are no emulators, no support for deploying applications, etc.

Note that mobile device development is now available in the Standard version of VS 2005. This is change from VS 2003 where Professional was required. Standard has a suggested price of $299 USD, whereas Professional has a suggested retail price of $799 USD. Upgrades are about $100 cheaper.

Neil

Mike Temporale
11-09-2005, 11:48 AM
To clarify, the Express versions do not support mobile device development. There is no design-time support, you can't install the SDKs for Windows Mobile 5 in it, there are no emulators, no support for deploying applications, etc.

Ok, now I'm a little confused. I was talking with a developer from the ASP.NET team about this at the pre-launch party Monday night. He was telling me that you can open an existing mobile application and continue to work on it. However, you couldn't create a new project. And now you're saying that you can't even do that. I'm sorry to ask but... Are you sure? :?

Kris Kumar
11-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Standard has a suggested price of $299 USD, whereas Professional has a suggested retail price of $799 USD. Upgrades are about $100 cheaper.

Standard is $299. :? That is not a bad price.

I thought Standard was priced higher than $299. So a developer has to sell 30 copies of her application for $15-$16 to break even (I believe software vendors like Handango and Smartphone.net charge upto $5-$6 as commission for the software sales, that leaves only $10 for the developer)

kiwi
11-09-2005, 03:05 PM
$USD 299?!!! wow!

We got given FULL standard versions of Visual Studio 2005 *AND* SQL SErver Std edition yesterday at the Toronto, Canada Launch!!

MS also included an exam voucher + TShirt in the swagg Bagg! 8)

Mike Temporale
11-09-2005, 03:15 PM
We got given FULL standard versions of Visual Studio 2005 *AND* SQL SErver Std edition yesterday at the Toronto, Canada Launch!!

MS also included an exam voucher + TShirt in the swagg Bagg! 8)

Ya, that was extremely nice of them eh! 8)

Kris Kumar
11-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Booooooooooo...I say Boooooooo. :cry:

Neil
11-11-2005, 10:24 PM
He was telling me that you can open an existing mobile application and continue to work on it.

He's mistaken, unfortunately. The SDKs aren't there for starters which would make it rather hard to build. Plus, without the project templates, you wouldn't be able to open even existing projects.

Note that Standard at $299 is for the full version. There's a LONG list of different developer tools that qualify for the upgrade price of $199. You can see the list of valid upgrades at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=129822&SiteID=1.

Neil

Jerry Raia
11-12-2005, 04:56 AM
I would really like to be able to buy the Standard Version online and just download it. I can't find it anywhere in stores yet. Why is it only MSDN subscribers can get hold of this but not someone who wants a full license of just VS?

Mike Temporale
11-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Well, it's like this for most of the Microsoft products. They celebrate the RTM date because they are done with it. It takes a little while to get it out into everyone's hands.

Jerry Raia
11-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah kinda figured that. :(

Kris Kumar
11-12-2005, 03:18 PM
In case you need to be convinced to buy VS 2005. Check this (http://www.microsoft.com/korea/events/ready2005/vs_song.asp) out. :-)

Mike Temporale
11-12-2005, 05:43 PM
In case you need to be convinced to buy VS 2005. Check this (http://www.microsoft.com/korea/events/ready2005/vs_song.asp) out. :-)

I don't know it that will convince anyone to buy it. It kind of scares me a little. 8O

Jerry Raia
11-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks Kris, I'm gonna have nightmares for a week now. :lol:

Kris Kumar
11-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks Kris, I'm gonna have nightmares for a week now. :lol:

Don't blame me. It came from the Microsoft Korea site. :?

Jerry Raia
11-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Definitely different 8O