View Full Version : Samsung Releases 8 Megapixel Camera Phone

Mike Temporale
11-03-2005, 05:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.telecomskorea.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=3016&Itemid=2' target='_blank'>http://www.telecomskorea.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=3016&Itemid=2</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Samsung Electronics today unveils the world's first 8-megapixel camera phone (model name : SPH-V8200). i-Tae Lee, President of Telecommunication Network, Samsung Electronics, demonstrated the SPH-8200 model at Analyst Day on Thursday. President Lee said, “Increasing the number of pixels while realizing digital camera-quality is a main task of developing handset camera module.” “The new phone offers image quality of premium digital camera and will be available in domestic market with in November.”, he added. As for the future of mobile handset, President Lee predicted, “Mobile phones will become the hub of all IT devices, being developed into “All in One” device that incorporates functions necessary for a variety of human activities"</i><br /><br />8 Megapixel! By gosh that's a lot of picture. I hope that the quality of the image sensors has also improved. Otherwise an 8 megapixel image is no better than a 5. megapixel image and pretty much worthless to the world. :wink:

Darius Wey
11-03-2005, 06:16 PM
8 Megapixel! By gosh that's a lot of picture. I hope that the quality of the image sensors has also improved. Otherwise an 8 megapixel image is no better than a 5. megapixel image and pretty much worthless to the world. :wink:

I'm surprised the phone doesn't die from just processing the image. 8O

Toddard
11-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Good point about the image sensor. I think the lens is also a factor -- not only the quality, but also the size. Smaller lens means less light for the sensor to work with. For this reason, I don't think a camera phone will ever replace a dedicated digital camera. However, it's good to know that improvements are continuing to be made. If we get to the point where a camera phone will produce decent quality 4x6 prints -- that's when I'll start to consider one for anything but throwaway pics. I don't print many pics; I just use the 4x6 print rule as a quality standard for digital images.

Jerry Raia
11-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm not a camera expert by any means but doesn't the sensor have to get bigger as the pixels go up? Wouldn't that make for a bigger phone?

ricksfiona
11-04-2005, 01:57 AM
If we get to the point where a camera phone will produce decent quality 4x6 prints -- that's when I'll start to consider one for anything but throwaway pics.

Agreed. I can definitely use the MP if I could get good prints at that size.