View Full Version : Some Highlights of What's New in Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2

Mike Temporale
10-29-2005, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/10/27/44OPenterwin_1.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/10/27/44OPenterwin_1.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The sexy stuff starts with new features. Microsoft is definitely looking to cash in on America’s gadget craze: Exchange is now capable of a variety of new smartphone and PDA-type features, centering on something called Direct Push Technology. This deal sends out whatever Exchange information the user’s entitled to, including not only e-mail but calendaring, contacts, the whole shebang. What’s nice is that this push is fairly intelligent. First off, it’s encrypted, and the Redmondians showed me a live demo of just how quick a transfer could be. Further speeding things up is that large messages and attached files are truncated. You can view pieces and then decide whether it's something you need to see in its entirety or to spare the bandwidth for something else."</i><br /><br />Oliver Rist, over at InfoWorld.com, has a nice write up that covers off some of the bug fixes, and a lot of the new features that Exchange Service Pack 2 offers. While Direct Push may be the biggest part of SP2, there are other cool new features for the desktop users like using Sender Policy Framework (SPF) to identify phishing scams. I've been meaning to setup an Exchange server, and it's starting to look like it will be sooner rather than later. :mrgreen:

runbuh
10-29-2005, 05:44 PM
When are we going to clear up this stuff about the Messaging and Security Feature Pack? From what we have seen with SP2, YOU DON'T GET DIDDLY for Push Email and cool admin tools for mobile devices until you get MSFP and the web tools for admin that come with it. Please tell me I'm wrong and that we just overlooked something!

HalM
10-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Please tell me I'm wrong and that we just overlooked something!
Nope, I think you are dead on. We'll need the MSFP. :)

wshwe
10-29-2005, 09:06 PM
One would hope reputable sources such as Infoworld and Smartphone Thoughts would get their facts straight. Alas that is not the case here. To get push email you must employ SP 2 and MSFP.

HalM
10-29-2005, 09:46 PM
One would hope reputable sources such as Infoworld and Smartphone Thoughts would get their facts straight. Alas that is not the case here. To get push email you must employ SP 2 and MSFP.
And a WM5 device helps too. :D

runbuh
10-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm getting all kinds of stories from cellular carriers, and no helpful info from Microsoft. Things I'd like to know about MSFP:

- When will it come out? (USA, and globally)
- Is it provided by the carrier, or by M$?
- If provided by M$, can it be applied to any WM5 device?
(we'd like to use something like Symbol/Intermec handhelds for plant maintenance and email where data connectivity is available via Wi-Fi)
- If provided by the carriers, what devices will they support?
- If the MSFP is something that has to be "applied" to a device, then what happens if you wipe the device? Do you have to re-apply MSFP?
- With MSFP and SP2, can you limit the number of devices sync'ing to an Exchange account? Right now, I can take three different devices and sync them to my Exchange account with no one the wiser. With WM5, MSFP, and SP2, I hope that's not the case.

OK, OK, I'll stop with the endless questions. It's just hard for me to plan my deployment roadmap without more information from M$.

Mike Temporale
10-30-2005, 03:24 AM
And a WM5 device helps too. :D

wshwe - We do have our facts straight, thanks. In order for Direct Push to work, you need a update to the server AND to the client. This post deals with the features released in the server update, which is already available. The Client update, is not yet available, so there isn't too much detail about it floating around.

HalM - That's correct, you will need a WM5 device for MSFP.

Mike Temporale
10-30-2005, 03:38 AM
- When will it come out? (USA, and globally)

I think it's out - or close to it. However, you have to wait for the device manufacturer to release the update. So it would be impossible to say exactly when it will be available.

- Is it provided by the carrier, or by M$?

In most cases, Microsoft provides it to the device manufacturer, who in turn releases it to the carrier.

- If provided by M$, can it be applied to any WM5 device?

I don't expect it will be released to the end user by Microsoft, so No.

- If provided by the carriers, what devices will they support?

Who knows? That's up to the individual ODM and they haven't told anyone anything - yet.

- If the MSFP is something that has to be "applied" to a device, then what happens if you wipe the device? Do you have to re-apply MSFP?

Basically, you're asking if this is a ROM update or just a patch. I would expect it to be a ROM update. It wouldn't be a very good security pack if you could just reset the device and get past it. ;)

- With MSFP and SP2, can you limit the number of devices sync'ing to an Exchange account? Right now, I can take three different devices and sync them to my Exchange account with no one the wiser. With WM5, MSFP, and SP2, I hope that's not the case.

This would have nothing to do with MSFP. It would be all server based. You should be able to ask any Exchange admin that has setup SP2 to find the answer to this.

Kris Kumar
10-30-2005, 06:09 AM

We do have the facts straight. :-) When Mike reported the release of the Exchange Service Pack last week in this post, (http://smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9463) it was mentioned that MSFP is needed.

The thing that is frustrating and confusing is that Microsoft did not bake it into WM 5.0. Which as a developer I believe is because WM 5.0 was released before Exchange Service Pack.

And now I believe Microsoft is supposed to release the MSFP to carriers and device manufacturers. And you will be getting the update from the vendor who sold you the device. Which means delays. I think if I remember correctly the carriers and device manufacturers are supposed to release it towards the end of this year. I don't think there is a fixed or known release date.

Kris Kumar
10-30-2005, 06:13 AM

This would have nothing to do with MSFP. It would be all server based. You should be able to ask any Exchange admin that has setup SP2 to find the answer to this.

I think MSFP and SP2 both have to be installed to limit the number of devices syncing to an Exchange account. I think there is some kind of policy provisioning that can be done. So that Exchange will service or sync devices that are provisioned and older or un-provisioned devices will be not allowed to sync. I will see if I can find the document.

Kris Kumar
10-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Regarding the availability of the MSFP...here is another link. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9045)

According to the article, devices with MSFP will appear during the later part of 2005 or early 2006. :-(

"some of the mobility features contained in this CTP download are not yet available for testing, pending availability of Windows Mobile 5.0 devices that have the Messaging &amp; Security Feature Pack installed. Those devices will be available later in 2005 and 2006."

HalM
10-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Kris and Mike, on this and other forums I have seen mention of needing to update the WM5 devices with a Feature Pack. I'll be the first to admit that I may have missed something on Direct Push but in all the documents from MS that I have read I see no mention of this.

I consistently find 3 requirements: SP2, WM5 devices and Microsoft Feature Pack for Exchange. If you add Sami Khoury's blog ( http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2005/06/07/406035.aspx ) discussing the overall design of Direct Push, it seems to me that is all you need. If the device is Internet enabled, all it needs to know is with whom to set up a "heartbeat" connection and that would be part of provisioning, just as it is done now. All management and security features must be pushed to the device from the server, not vice versa.

Long way to go, but can you guys point me to something definitive from MS talking about a Feature Pack for the devices as well as MSFP for Exchange?

Thanks!

runbuh
10-30-2005, 04:32 PM
wshwe - We do have our facts straight, thanks. In order for Direct Push to work, you need a update to the server AND to the client. This post deals with the features released in the server update, which is already available. The Client update, is not yet available, so there isn't too much detail about it floating around.

HalM - That's correct, you will need a WM5 device for MSFP.

The InfoWorld article describes such features as Remote Wipe, Device Policies, etc. My understanding is that, ON THE SERVER, you don't have the admin tools for Remote Wipe, Device Policy, etc. without the SERVER update that comes with MSFP. So - are these extra admin tools a part of SP2, MSFP, or what? Those are some of the facts we'd like to get straight.

I am not our exchange admin, but one of our admins and I sat down, read the docs, installed SP2 on our lab server, and could not find ANY tools that provide this type of administration. I'll be more than happy to admit we missed something, but if these SERVER-based tools are not part of SP2, then I wish folks like InfoWorld would quit talking about these tools as if they were a part of SP2.

Please - someone either kick me in the pants for being ignorant, or kick the Microsoft marketing machine in the pants so that technical articles are at least clear on these features.

runbuh
10-30-2005, 04:38 PM
In most cases, Microsoft provides it to the device manufacturer, who in turn releases it to the carrier.

I have had folks from Microsoft, Cingular, and Verizon tell me that same thing, and other folks from these same compaines tell me that MSFP will be a download from Microsoft. Sorry, Mike, but I honestly don't know who to believe because there is no official statement from Microsoft covering the details of MSFP. Is it too much to ask for something official from Microsoft outlining how MSFP will work?

wshwe
10-30-2005, 05:29 PM
And now I believe Microsoft is supposed to release the MSFP to carriers and device manufacturers. And you will be getting the update from the vendor who sold you the device. Which means delays. I think if I remember correctly the carriers and device manufacturers are supposed to release it towards the end of this year. I don't think there is a fixed or known release date.Will carriers have financial incentive to release MSFP in a timely manner? Do carriers make more money off of Blackberry or WM devices?

Mike Temporale
10-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Kris and Mike, on this and other forums I have seen mention of needing to update the WM5 devices with a Feature Pack. I'll be the first to admit that I may have missed something on Direct Push but in all the documents from MS that I have read I see no mention of this.

I consistently find 3 requirements: SP2, WM5 devices and Microsoft Feature Pack for Exchange. If you add Sami Khoury's blog ( http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2005/06/07/406035.aspx ) discussing the overall design of Direct Push, it seems to me that is all you need. If the device is Internet enabled, all it needs to know is with whom to set up a "heartbeat" connection and that would be part of provisioning, just as it is done now. All management and security features must be pushed to the device from the server, not vice versa.

Long way to go, but can you guys point me to something definitive from MS talking about a Feature Pack for the devices as well as MSFP for Exchange?

Thanks!

I can't point you to anything. We've linked to numerous stories, and I don't really have the time to search for any of them right now. However, it is my understanding that MSFP is not for the server. The security and feature pack is meant for the device. It will need to be installed before you can enjoy Direct Push. One of the features and security measures will allow you to push other updates down to the device from your Exchange server, but I don't expect you can push the actually MSFP. The device needs to be aware of Direct Push before it could ever receive a update via Direct Push. :wink:

Mike Temporale
10-30-2005, 06:03 PM
The InfoWorld article describes such features as Remote Wipe, Device Policies, etc. My understanding is that, ON THE SERVER, you don't have the admin tools for Remote Wipe, Device Policy, etc. without the SERVER update that comes with MSFP. So - are these extra admin tools a part of SP2, MSFP, or what? Those are some of the facts we'd like to get straight.

These are part of SP2, but are not enabled until you have MSFP and a Windows Mobile 5 device. So there may be a small patch that needs to be run on the server to activate these when you install MSFP, I don't know and I don't think we'll know until it is actually shipping.

Mike Temporale
10-30-2005, 06:05 PM
I have had folks from Microsoft, Cingular, and Verizon tell me that same thing, and other folks from these same compaines tell me that MSFP will be a download from Microsoft. Sorry, Mike, but I honestly don't know who to believe because there is no official statement from Microsoft covering the details of MSFP. Is it too much to ask for something official from Microsoft outlining how MSFP will work?

Well, I can't help you there. I'm telling you what I know. If you don't want to believe it that's fine. I'm not the official source, and I can't help you with that.

Mike Temporale
10-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Will carriers have financial incentive to release MSFP in a timely manner? Do carriers make more money off of Blackberry or WM devices?

Well, this is pretty tricky. They have no financial incentive other than the potential increase in sales of WM devices. Unlike the BlackBerry that requires the carrier to allow and support BB traffic on their network, Direct Push has been designed to work in a way that the carrier doesn't have to do anything. So they don't need a server in the back room to allow Direct Push to work. If you have a server and device that support it, then away you go.

HalM
10-30-2005, 11:20 PM
However, it is my understanding that MSFP is not for the server. The security and feature pack is meant for the device.
Mike, thanks for the reply. Last month I did a presentation to a large customer group on the topic of ActiveSync with the assistance of MS, including 4 MS produced PPT decks. The MSFT was always refered to as "Microsoft Feature Pack FOR EXCHANGE."

It just seems to me that MSFP would go on the server. Then during client provisioning the relationship between the device and the corresponding Exchange enterprise is made including Group Policy for Device Password Security. Other required "features" would be installed during provisioning as well.

On the other hand, without a NOC, more responsibility does fall to the device. How much, I have no idea.

Mike Temporale
10-31-2005, 02:16 AM
Last month I did a presentation to a large customer group on the topic of ActiveSync with the assistance of MS, including 4 MS produced PPT decks. The MSFT was always refered to as "Microsoft Feature Pack FOR EXCHANGE."

That just doesn't seem to fit in with what I know. The first thing that stands out is that they are missing the Security part. They've added password policy that is enforced across all devices, device wipe to clear the device if it's lost, and certificate support for authenticating against Exchange. Also note, that none of those features are server related - really. They may be admin from the server, but really, they are device specific features.

I found this blog post by Jason Landridge:
What is Direct Push and how does it work?

With the release of Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 and Windows Mobile 5.0 devices equipped with the Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) customers will have a different experience of mobile messaging with Exchange 2003. Essentially what Direct Push provides is a mechanism to ensure your device is always up to date with the latest information in your mailbox.

A little later on in the post he says:
So how do I get this Direct Push working?

For customers who are on Exchange 2003 it's really simple - you just need an Exchange 2003 Front End Server with the Mobile Services enabled running Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 (you don't need to upgrade all backend mailbox servers) and a device running Windows Mobile 5.0 with MSFP. Those devices will be available later this year - around the same time as Service Pack 2 is scheduled to be released (Second half of 2005)

For customers who have devices which are using a previous version of Windows Mobile (eg 2003) you can either upgrade them to Windows Mobile 5.0 (if there is an upgrade available) or continue to use the existing Synchronisation solution. You have to have Windows Mobile 5.0 for Direct Push.

Which doesn't indicate anything about MSFP being an Exchange install.

You can read the full post here. (http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/2005/8/22.aspx) Maybe there is another "feature pack" for Exchange? I would say that this is a long shot, but I can't really explain why you got a different story. Unless the person giving you the information wasn't fully informed. :(

Kris Kumar
10-31-2005, 03:33 AM

I am not our exchange admin, but one of our admins and I sat down, read the docs, installed SP2 on our lab server, and could not find ANY tools that provide this type of administration. I'll be more than happy to admit we missed something, but if these SERVER-based tools are not part of SP2, then I wish folks like InfoWorld would quit talking about these tools as if they were a part of SP2.

Please - someone either kick me in the pants for being ignorant, or kick the Microsoft marketing machine in the pants so that technical articles are at least clear on these features.

You will be happy to know that you are absolutely sane and you don't have to be worried about getting kicked. ;-)

Found something that will make you happy.

Check out this Exchange 2003 SP2 FAQ (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/sp2/faq.mspx) by Microsoft.

Q. How do you administer the new remote wipe feature in SP2?
A. The new remote wipe capability requires the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Web Administration tool, one of a collection of Web tools that will be available in late 2005. The Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool was created as a separate Web tool so that Help desk staff or non–Exchange Server administrators can be delegated the right to manage devices.

Does that clarify things? :-)

Kris Kumar
10-31-2005, 03:41 AM
Just to summarize - for the new Direct Push email and remote administration features like security provisioning and remote wipe, following things are needed:

- Exchange Server 2003 with Service Pack 2 [Available now from Microsoft]
- Windows Mobile 5.0 devices [Available now, at least some vendors]
- Microsoft Security &amp; Feature Pack for WM 5.0 devices [End of year 2005 or early 2006, thru carriers and device vendors]
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Web Administration tool for Exchange Server [End of year 2005, from Microsoft]

So there is some fine print. ;-) Microsoft definitely needs to be kicked. :evil: They seem to be losing it. Not sure if it is because Mr. Bill Gates just turned 50 (http://feeds.feedburner.com/neowin-main?m=537) or because Microsoft itself is soon going to be 30 years old. :rotfl:

runbuh
10-31-2005, 06:10 AM
Kris and Mike,

Thanks for helping us dig through this. Mike - this wasn't about whether or not we believed you. We get WAY more real info out of you, Kris, and the many contributors to this web site, than the official sources! This was about getting something official from Microsoft and having Microsoft ensure that people are telling the whole story. Non-technical people (read: management) read articles like the one in InfoWorld and then ask us why we haven't got all this up and running yet. The Microsoft marketing machine has done a bang-up job of getting people excited about the potential of WM5, some of us just need to have the facts in order to temper people's enthusiasm a bit (and develop an implementation plan).

I think the pieces of the puzzle are falling in to place.

Now if I could just get my hands on a device from Verizon or Cingular. Patience is not one of my virtues. :P

Kris Kumar
11-01-2005, 01:00 AM
It's not the first time that Microsoft has hyped up the product features before launch. Unlike other companies that might not announce its products and its features before launch date. Microsoft likes to get a feel from the market.

Also, in this case Microsoft wants its lovers, haters and the investors that the formula to attack BlackBerry is in the works. :-)

HalM
11-24-2005, 12:08 AM
Mike, I just sat through a MS webcast on Troubleshooting ActiveSync. Seems you are correct about the Feature Pack. It was RTM'ed to the device manufacturers on November 14th. Now we'll have to wait for i-Mate to get it to us!

FWIW, I still think there is a server piece, but no word either way on that as of yet.

Cheers!

Kris Kumar
11-24-2005, 02:17 AM
FWIW, I still think there is a server piece, but no word either way on that as of yet.

It is called "Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Web Administration tool".

Microsoft has been super secret about it. I mean secret regarding the availability date. It is supposed to be early 2006 as well. :-( :evil: