View Full Version : An iPod is Cool but a Smartphone isn't

Jerry Raia
10-24-2005, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=10070' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=10070</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Think about it...the iPod Nano - has your choice of 2Gb or 4Gb flavors w/no moving parts - non-volatile memory in an incredibly small form factor, and the latest rendition of iTunes now lets you easily sync with Mac OS X Address Book and iCal and now also your contacts from Outlook Express or calendar and contacts from Outlook for the PC and isn't that the basics of what anyone would need out of their device? Build around it the best components you like from a Pocket PC Phone Edition or MS Smartphone device and you'd have something really compelling. Even the 30Gb 5G iPod has a thinner design than most iPAQs or HTC devices for that matter - building around that should produce something comparable - and definitely something smaller than Palm's LifeDrive."</i><br /><br />Interesting thoughts here but I wouldn't hold your breath for an iPod/iPAQ/Smartphone anytime soon. I don't think Cingular is having too much trouble keeping the ROKR (the new itunes phone) on the shelves either. Think about entering data on that iPod thumb pad interface. Talk about repetitive injury!

cesarfong
10-26-2005, 05:29 AM
i have nano ipod (4gb) and imate sp3, sp3i and some pocket pcs and of course my idea of mp3 player will be based on ipod devices.. but for the rest of think (video player, programming execution, store my information, application made by my own, POOM) MS has no limits :)

Cesar

Sven Johannsen
10-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Just a semi on the off topic thought. Remember the original iPAQ expansion sleeve concept. You had a special connector on the iPaq where folks could interface all manner of things like batteries, CF and PC card slots, TVs dishwashers, right to their iPaqs. I notice that iPods, Nano included, have a similar feature connector that allows you to attach speakers, remotes, FM transmitters, etc. relatively cleanly. I wonder. If HP/Compaq had not abandoned the sleeve concept, if someone wouldn't have made an iPaq sleeve that would hold a Nano and some battery.

Mike Temporale
10-26-2005, 07:28 PM
That's not a bad idea. If it was still around, I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested in it.

The biggest problem with the sleeve was that it was so big! I ended up mod'ing mine so that it ended up being built into my vaja case. It was a fraction of the size. Ah, the fun I had back in those days. 8) HP really wasted a lot of space with that design. :?