View Full Version : T-Mobile To Release SDA Smartphone This Week?

Kris Kumar
10-16-2005, 10:00 PM
According to <i>bizwarrior</i> on <a href="http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=749112">HowardForums.com,</a> G4 Video Game Television showed the upcoming T-Mobile SDA on one of its TV shows called the Attack of the Show. Not only did they show the much awaited Wi-Fi and EDGE enabled T-Mobile SDA, the show mentioned that T-Mobile is releasing it this week. 8O :clap: <br /><br /><i>"I just saw a segment on G4TV on the AOTS show where they had 3 samples of phones to be released next week. One of them was the SDA which is suppose to be the HTC Amadeus branded by T-Mobile. The reviews I have seen on this phone have been excellent. Here is the G4 web page link from the show where they previewed these phones. They also showed the SDA streaming video from the web by wifi. Very impressive."</i><br /><br />I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that this information is true. Wish the episode in question was available online on the <a href="http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/index.html">G4 Video Game Television website.</a> :-( If somebody has access to the channel or has seen the episode, can please confirm if this news is true. The Attack of the Show blog confirms that they received <a href="http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blog/AOTB/post/505946/Cool_Stuff__101405.html">three T-Mobile phones</a> for review but unfortunately the link they have posted for the SDA is not correct. Which needless to say makes things a bit confusing. :? Personally I am a bit tired of all these speculations, rumors and news reports. I want this Smartphone in the stores now!<br /><br /><b>Update:</b> According our reader <i>hummeriah,</i> who watched the replay of the show, the presenters stated that the new phones will be launched next month. :-)

Mike Temporale
10-17-2005, 01:28 AM
This week?! I'll be pretty happy if it's true. It's about time someone released a WM5 Smartphone. The OS has been out for too long already - let's start the phone rollout. 8)

Oh, and WiFi enabled just plain rocks. :rock on dude!: Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie. :lol:

me
10-17-2005, 05:34 AM
This week?! I'll be pretty happy if it's true. It's about time someone released a WM5 Smartphone. The OS has been out for too long already - let's start the phone rollout. 8)

Oh, and WiFi enabled just plain rocks. :rock on dude!: Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie. :lol:

Well, I would be very surprised if it's true, especially on T-Mobile! This week? Who'd like to bet on that??

It is so easy for rumors to spread on the Internet.

hummeriah
10-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Luckily they showed this episode later. I Replayed it and here are a few more details:

1) One of the models was the SDA (music version) (with the giant fin we saw in FCC photos)
2) The actual dialog about T-mobile was: "T-mobile sent us a bunch of new phones. They announced that they are coming out with a slew of new phones next month. They're exclusive to T-mobile." Then they showed the PEBL, the SDA and some unimpressive slider phone.
3) The SDA was running a video in Windows Media Player--allegedly streaming video over the Wi-Fi connection. (the video was tiny--I watch videos on my Typhoon and even before zooming to full screen they dwarf the content shown on the SDA-not sure what the source of their file was)
4) They said everything shown was a pre-production model, so maybe the fin on the SDA will go the way of the Dodo

So those lusting after the 8310 like me, may need to bring it back down to a simmer for awhile.

Kris Kumar
10-17-2005, 12:02 PM
2) The actual dialog about T-mobile was: "T-mobile sent us a bunch of new phones. They announced that they are coming out with a slew of new phones next month. They're exclusive to T-mobile." Then they showed the PEBL, the SDA and some unimpressive slider phone.

Ahh! Next month. So the wait goes on. :) :-( :twisted:

Mike Temporale
10-17-2005, 12:58 PM
So, at least a couple weeks, or a month and a half at the most. :(

Thanks for the info hummeriah ! 8)

possmann
10-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Oh November is going to be a tough month financially...

Christmas shopping, new phone, Xbox360 - ouch.

me
10-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Hmmm......What happened to the title of this thread--"this week"? (Post appeared weeks ago.)

I guess I can say---I told you so! :lol:

Kris Kumar
11-01-2005, 01:07 AM
Hmmm......What happened to the title of this thread--"this week"? (Post appeared weeks ago.)

I guess I can say---I told you so! :lol:

:rotfl:

The original post was based on a reader's post in the Howard Forum. And our reader hummeriah corrected our expectations. It is supposed to be next month. :wink:

I am also annoyed with the speculation. :(

fruehling
11-04-2005, 12:48 AM
In case anyone is interested in seeing the demonstration of this sweet phone, you can see it here:
http://www.greenfairy.org/TmobileSDA.wmv

Sorry about the words across the middle, I was using shareware. And sorry about the URL, I had to borrow the server space.

Kris Kumar
11-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks. for sharing the video. 8)

fruehling
11-04-2005, 05:49 PM
No problemo! I was dying trying to find it and finally got a torrent of the right show. It's great to hear for myself that t-mobile sent them 3 phones to show that are going to be released "next month" which is now this month. GET OFF YOUR ASS T-MOBILE! I'M READY FOR THIS PHONE!

fruehling
11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Well, perhaps bad news. I called T-mobile to ask them when this is coming and the first guy at the prepaid desk had no idea what I was talking about. Then he transferred me to the contract people. She looked in some computer that showed all upcoming releases. There were two quad-band phones with wifi coming this month (some nokia and another one), but she didn't know what a smartphone was and there was nothing about an SDA. I asked for a supervisor but she said that they would have the same info. Maybe one of you guys would have better luck getting to the bottom of this? Any ideas how to contact the PR manager for T-mobile USA who might have sent "Attack of the Show" these phones?

Kris Kumar
11-09-2005, 01:38 PM
This is annoying. :evil:

T-Mobillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle. :evil: :roll: :cry:

me
11-15-2005, 04:36 AM
It is supposed to be next month. :wink:

:(

Hmmm---"next month", written in October----Ahhh, that's now, November, we are now in "next month".

Any idea when it will really be available, on T-Mobile USA? Any bets?

Kris Kumar
11-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Hmmm---"next month", written in October----Ahhh, that's now, November, we are now in "next month".

Any idea when it will really be available, on T-Mobile USA? Any bets?

Yes, we are in the next month. :-)

I am keeping my fingers crossed. Anxiously waiting.

Kris Kumar
12-09-2005, 04:59 AM
Okay, According to engadget, TMobile is un-wrapping the Samsung T809 slider phone this monday.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000013071689/

Why is this news interesting?

Well, this was one of the three phones shown on the G4 TV show, the same show in which the SDA was also shown.

So is the SDA going to be released next week? :?

Kris Kumar
12-10-2005, 11:14 PM
PEBL is now listed on T-Mobile as coming soon.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000480071965/

Two down and one more to go. :-)

fruehling
12-29-2005, 01:50 AM
Is there any more news on this? I want this phone so much because of the extra reception from the hump. But if it doesn't come out soon, or have a more certain date, I will have to get the Qtek or Imate version. I want this so much. Please contact me if you know a way to get your hands on one for testing or want to get rid of the one you are testing. I am willing to pay more than the qtek or imate costs. I live near Tmobile headquarters if that helps.

me
12-30-2005, 10:42 PM
PEBL is now listed on T-Mobile as coming soon.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000480071965/

Two down and one more to go. :-)

Yep, but they still have never released even one Windows Smartphone, despite many announcements to that effect.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Kris Kumar
12-30-2005, 11:12 PM
That's one of the reasons why I decided to switch to Cingular and get the 2125.

fruehling
01-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Why would you buy that one instead of the qtek or imate version? Price? Wifi is crucial for me.

Kris Kumar
01-01-2006, 09:30 PM
- Price.
- Wanted to switch to Cingular (Better monthly plan).
- WiFi is important, but with T-Mobile I will have to wait indefinitely and will get tied into another contract which I dont want. I want Cingular service.
- Will buy an i-mate when the price comes down. Or if I think I need Wi-Fi. For now EDGE is awesome.

fruehling
01-01-2006, 10:55 PM
I am planning to use T-mobile to go with a monthly unlimited use of their wifi hotspots since they are pretty much everywhere. I mean if I can't get word about when this darn thing is going to come out.

With EDGE, don't you have to pay for data use? Or is that included at some unlimited level for a price?

Kris Kumar
01-01-2006, 11:43 PM
With EDGE, don't you have to pay for data use? Or is that included at some unlimited level for a price?

T-Mobile and Cingular both offer "unlimited data" for $19.99. And that includes EDGE if the device is EDGE capable.

fruehling
01-02-2006, 05:13 AM
That's interesting. So why would I ever need Wifi then? Is EDGE just as fast as wifi?

Kris Kumar
01-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Is EDGE just as fast as wifi?

EDGE is not even close to Wi-Fi.

GPRS is 25-40 Kbps.
EDGE is 100-145 Kbps.

Wi-Fi I don't have any real numbers but should be close to 1 Mbps. The problem with Wi-Fi on Smartphone is that the processor on the Smartphone cannot handle the Wi-Fi speeds.

Wi-Fi is not really about speed on the Smartphones. It is is about free Internet. And access to local network. ;-)

Rocco Augusto
01-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Is EDGE just as fast as wifi?

EDGE is not even close to Wi-Fi.

GPRS is 25-40 Kbps.
EDGE is 100-145 Kbps.

Wi-Fi I don't have any real numbers but should be close to 1 Mbps. The problem with Wi-Fi on Smartphone is that the processor on the Smartphone cannot handle the Wi-Fi speeds.

Wi-Fi is not really about speed on the Smartphones. It is is about free Internet. And access to local network. ;-)

i think wifi on the smartphones runs at a max of 2mbp/s (megabits per second)

Kris Kumar
01-04-2006, 12:11 AM
i think wifi on the smartphones runs at a max of 2mbp/s (megabits per second)

Wow, that is cool, given that the processor on the Smartphone is not that great. 8)

fruehling
01-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Well that is good news and good reason to wait, or get the wifi one.

Kris, have you noticed that the reception is better with your new phone compared with the 5600? Does the hump make a difference in your experience with this? The signal in my house is really terrible with my 5600 and it would be worth waiting, for me, if the signal is really improved with the hump.

Kris Kumar
01-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Kris, have you noticed that the reception is better with your new phone compared with the 5600? Does the hump make a difference in your experience with this?

I am pretty sure that the hump is making a big difference. 8)

But I can't back it up with numbers or test scenarios. I used to be a T-Mobile customer using the SP3i. But now I switched to Cingular with the 2125.

I can tell you for sure that 2125 has better reception than the MPx220.

But between 2125 and SP3i (SMT5600) can't tell. Because the SP3i didnt have 850Mhz support and 2125 does have it. And the signal on the SP3i is weak. And I am sure that it is because it is using the 1900MHz and the 2125 is on 850Mhz probably.