View Full Version : Cingular Dropping the Motorola Q?

Jerry Raia
10-16-2005, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=10003' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=10003</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Remember this post about the Motorola Q possibly loosing EDGE? Also, remember this post giving us a sneak peak into Cingular's future? According to the sneak peak, and other various sources, it seemed as if Cingular would be adding the Motorola Q to its line. Well, according to a Cingular source, the Motorola Q has been dropped from the upcoming line. Several things could have contributed to this, including the lack of EDGE noted above. Other contributing factors could be Motorola's lack of solid Windows Mobile devices as of recent, or the upcoming release of several HTC Windows Mobile devices on Cingular."</i><br /><br />I am not surprised by this if it is in fact true. Cingular seems to have stayed closer to the cutting edge than Verizon has with regard to devices. In addition Motorola has been a rather big failure in the Smartphone arena. They have fallen short in their offerings. I was wondering if the Q would break this trend but after seeing the other very promising offerings by HTC for example, I have almost lost all interest in the Q.

Mike Temporale
10-16-2005, 04:26 PM
You know, I'm kind of in the same boat. I was really really interested in this when it was announced, But Moto's typically long wait between announcement and release combined with awesome new HTC devices has me loosing interested. Also, you have to consider the reports we found last week that stated the overall feel of the device was lacking. I can't help but think that the Q is really following in the MPx220's steps. :? I hope I'm wrong.

encece
10-16-2005, 04:28 PM
To tell you the truth, I dont understand what all the interest in this device was anyway. I think the Razor name lured many of us in. How many apps wouldnt work on the landscape screen? Plus, If I was going to but a bigger device with a keyboard...I'd rather have a PPCPE. It kind of goes against what a smartphone is all about.

Kris Kumar
10-16-2005, 05:00 PM
I am guessing it is because the Verizon EV-DO version that Moto is probably focussing on. ;-)

I too am concerned about the keyboard not having the right feel etc. But hoping that it is something Moto is working on or that it is a personal opinion.

The device does have a lot of potential. Moto needs to get it out otherwise they are just going to bring a bad name to the Windows Mobile platform especially the Smartphone platform. :-(

Not to forget Treo with Windows Mobile Pocket PC is waiting to snap up the market not attacked by the Q. I think both cater to different demographics and there is some overlap. But if Moto Q does not make it out the door, Treo will have to take over.

Jerry Raia
10-16-2005, 05:05 PM
It is not a good sign when you start hearing bad things about a device before it hits the streets.

Stinger
10-16-2005, 06:04 PM
With Motorola coming very close to buying PalmSource, perhaps this will be their last Smartphone and instead they'll concentrate on Linux?

Well, I can dream, can't I? ;)