View Full Version : Upcoming Webcast - Windows Mobile and Your Small Business Server

Mike Temporale
10-11-2005, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.technet.com/windowsmobile4partners/archive/2005/10/10/412257.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blogs.technet.com/windowsmobile4partners/archive/2005/10/10/412257.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Next Monday (17th October) we will be hosting another LiveMeeting for our Partners. This time the topic will be "Mobilising Small Business Server 2003". The webcast will be broadcast 4pm - 5pm and will also be available for offline viewing afterwards. The webcast will be presented by Scott Millar of Exactive Ltd. Scott has a lot of experience with SBS2003 and Windows Mobile and will be giving an overview of the mobile capabilities of Small Business Server and how it integrates with Windows Mobile."</i><br /><br />This sounds like a very interesting webcast. I know that some of you run your own SBS and I have looked into using it myself. Perhaps once Microsoft releases their new Push Email I will finally setup SBS and finally enjoy the always on email experience. :)

pstrayhorn
10-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Exchange Activesync on a WM device accomplishes the same end result as push technology today, and you don't even have to wait for Exchange 2003 SP2! Exchange Activesync can be easily configured to notify your phone when you get new email. A message is sent via SMS to the phone that causes it to perform a sync. You'll have your new mail in about 60 seconds usually.</p>
Quoting Microsoft's web site:
"AUTD is a notification feature in Exchange Server 2003 that improves the user experience with a Pocket PC. This feature is available only on Pocket PC Phone Edition devices or Smartphones that are running Windows Mobile 2003 or Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. By default, AUTD is installed with Exchange Server 2003. When a new item is delivered to a user's Exchange Server mailbox, a notification message is sent to the user's device. The device then performs synchronization in the background so that the most current Exchange Server information is available."
Exchange Activesync FAQ (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/actsyncfaq.mspx)</p>

Oh, and SBS 2003 ROCKS!!!</p>

Mike Temporale
10-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Exchange Activesync on a WM device accomplishes the same end result as push technology today, and you don't even have to wait for Exchange 2003 SP2! Exchange Activesync can be easily configured to notify your phone when you get new email. A message is sent via SMS to the phone that causes it to perform a sync. You'll have your new mail in about 60 seconds usually.</p>

Yes, you can fake push email using this method. It's not the best solution, as it chews up SMS's like crazy. At $0.10 a message, it can really add up. Plus it heavily relies on the carrier getting that SMS to you in a timely fashion.

Microsoft's new Push email is a lot more efficient. In fact, a lot of people have reported getting their emails on their device before it arrives on their desktop.