View Full Version : Microsoft is Ready to Become a Major Mobile Force

Mike Temporale
10-05-2005, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/story/0,10801,105067,00.html?source=x68' target='_blank'>http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/story/0,10801,105067,00.html?source=x68</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Windows Mobile devices have been ridiculed for being poorly designed and prone to crashing and for providing an inadequate telephony experience. But as with many things Microsoft, patience is rewarded for those who stick with the platform. The latest release, Windows Mobile 5.0, seems rock-solid and overcomes almost all the software problems of older versions. But software alone doesn't make for a great mobile experience. Hardware matters a lot, and form and function are intertwined. The latest crop of devices coming to the U.S. market reflects three trends that I believe will make them a success. This doesn't mean that Microsoft will dominate the mobile market the way it has the PC desktop; instead, it will likely be a strong player among many."</i><br /><br />Michael Gartenberg from ComputerWorld.com has posted his thoughts on Microsoft's future in the mobile arena. And according to him, things are starting to take shape, and Microsoft has a bright future ahead. I have to agree with him. What do you think?

randalllewis
10-05-2005, 06:03 PM
I am getting excited by this segment again. I was an early adopter of pocket pc's (My first was a Casio E100. What a brick!) and I also owned the MPX200 but various flaws and the cumbersome nature of the devices led me to eventually sell them all off. I now use a RAZR as my conjoined device. It is far from perfect, but the design is good and it will do until something better comes along. And that something better seems to be just about here. Several devices I've seen announced here and elsewhere look like they have fixed some of the problems that turned me off in the past. Windows Mobile 5 appears far superior to what I've used before and manufacturers seem to have hired a few designers who think about how products are actually used. I hope I can begin 2006 with a great WM device.

Jerry Raia
10-05-2005, 06:52 PM
I thought they already were a major mobile force!

Santa Fe
10-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Big fish in a little pond so far. I hope they can make the pond bigger.

sojourner753
10-05-2005, 11:57 PM
"... The latest release, Windows Mobile 5.0, seems rock-solid and overcomes almost all the software problems of older versions.

Rock solid seems to be an over-statement of the new OS. Atleast from what I've read from other forums the feeling seems to be growing that WM5.0 was not ready for release.