View Full Version : Are You Talking to Me?

Kris Kumar
09-29-2005, 11:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.statesman.com/life/content/auto/epaper/editions/saturday/life_entertainment_34439fcc660652f800b2.html' target='_blank'>http://www.statesman.com/life/content/auto/epaper/editions/saturday/life_entertainment_34439fcc660652f800b2.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Natacha Vilson was catching up with an old friend she had bumped into on a New York street recently when, without even saying "excuse me," the friend suddenly began talking into space. Because he was using a tiny wireless headset perched on one ear that was barely visible, she didn't realize at first that he had taken a call on his cell phone and was no longer talking to her. Vilson, a college student, was put off. Finally she said: "I'm talking to you, will you please take that off?" Such mix-ups are becoming more frequent as the small, robotic-looking phone headsets that perch in the wearer's ear become the latest high-tech accessory of choice."</i><br /><br />How many times have you been in a situation like Natacha Vilson? And felt stupid and then annoyed? :evil: We often talk about cell phone etiquette. And now according to the Wall Street Journal, the Bluetooth headset is opening up a new chapter in the cell phone etiquette guide. The good news for the Bluetooth headset users is that, they can get away with a conversation they have with the headset. Had they used a cell phone for the same conversation, they would have been <i>sshhh-ed</i>? The bad news is that now the by-standers and people around you think that you some kind of crazy person, who loves talking to yourself. :lol: What are your thoughts?

dbob
09-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Having said that - I've been speaking to myself for years.

I use a Bluetooth headset, since it's alot safer and easier to receive or make voice-control calls in the car. My headset allows me to tap the call button to redial a dropped call or busy number (Jabra BT 250v).

I minimize the number of calls I make in public. While in public places, I try to keep my voice low. I have received strange looks since my phone is not being held to my head. :lol:

Mike Temporale
09-30-2005, 06:39 AM
I've been speaking to myself for years.

Yeah, it's when you start to answer yourself that we really need to start to worry. :lol: ;)

In regards to the headsets; Just today, I walked up to Ed Hansberry and started to talk to him. Of course, I didn't notice that he was already in mid conversation with another person - using his headset. :oops: I've also had it done to me with my Bluespoon AX. That's so small most people don't even notice it.

When in public places, I try and find a quite location to talk so that I won't end up bugging people and I don't look like a total freak who talks to himself. ;)

Lorenzo
09-30-2005, 07:54 AM
As far as I'm concerned I hate having to answer my phone while I'm in public. For this reason and because I don't have to drive a car, I do not own a BT headset.

If I happen to receive a call while i'm talking to someone I just apologize, explain that my phone is ringing and then answer the phone while getting out of the way. That said I try to shorten the conversation as much as possible in order to avoid annoying the person that might be waiting for me to finish minding my own business over the phone.

This is not just a question of "etiquette" for me, it's just that I try to avoid giving what I don't want to receive.

Sven Johannsen
09-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Funny, I saw the thread title and thought of Ed too. If you were on the side with the Borg appliance, you knew he was on the phone, but from the other side you thought he was just nuts. I thought it was particularly amusing because of Ed's historic position on BT.

Personally I would think it's pretty darn rude to take a call when with someone else, without even excusing yourself to do so. That's true whether you have a BT headset or not.

P.S. that second part wasn't directed at Ed at all. Looking at it, it sounded like it might be. Ed was of by himself when initiating the call but got caught in the frenzy when food appeared.

Kris Kumar
09-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Because of the Borg factor, I rarely use the BT headset in a public place (I use the cell phone directly). I use the BT headset only in the car.

Mike Temporale
09-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Funny, I saw the thread title and thought of Ed too. If you were on the side with the Borg appliance, you knew he was on the phone, but from the other side you thought he was just nuts. I thought it was particularly amusing because of Ed's historic position on BT.

Personally I would think it's pretty darn rude to take a call when with someone else, without even excusing yourself to do so. That's true whether you have a BT headset or not.

Well, in all fairness to Ed, he was off in the corner of the room. He did move back towards the group of us - but that was mainly to get from being locked out of the dinner room. ;)

Mike Temporale
09-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Because of the Borg factor, I rarely use the BT headset in a public place (I use the cell phone directly). I use the BT headset only in the car.

Ya.... I try to do that too. But I will use my headset if I know I'm going to talk for a while or if I know that I need to use my hands (be it for driving, opening doors, carrying parcels, etc...) Ultimately I try not to have conversations in locations that would require this, but sometimes it is avoidable.

OSUKid7
09-30-2005, 03:03 PM
I had stuff like this happen all the time at a Tech conference this summer. It's near impossible to tell they have a headset on if you're looking at them from the other side! :lol: I say we need virtual status indicators above everyone's head to tell if they're on a call. Just don't ask me how they would make something like that. ;)

Ed Hansberry
10-02-2005, 01:36 PM
In regards to the headsets; Just today, I walked up to Ed Hansberry and started to talk to him. Of course, I didn't notice that he was already in mid conversation with another person - using his headset. :oops:
:-)

yeah, I was talking to my kids at home. Three MVPs came up to me, but they all figured out quickly I was on the phone. It does make you realize though how easy it is for a non-techie to not understand what is happening.

Mike Temporale
10-03-2005, 03:58 AM
Three MVPs came up to me,

It's nice to know I wasn't alone. I actually feel a little better about that now. :lol:

TimeHunter
10-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Whatever happened to not taking a call while you are in face to face conversation?

After all, this article was really about taking incoming calls, not placing outgoing calls.

Last I checked, every mobile allows you to silence the ringer, and you only lack voicemail if you choose. Even if you don't have voicemail, rare is the phone that doesn't have a caller log.

If it is an important call that you were expecting (and let's be honest, most aren't) then politely excuse yourself the same as you would if another person approached and needed to talk with you. Most manner rules already in place in polite society work quite well with little or no modification as applied to mobile use.

The real problem is that most of us, me included, could really make use of a remedial social etiquette course.

Kris Kumar
10-05-2005, 12:15 AM
The real problem is that most of us, me included, could really make use of a remedial social etiquette course.

Absolutely. :-)

Sven Johannsen
10-05-2005, 06:31 PM

Absolutely. :-)

Can't argue with that. Unfortunately I think the technology revolution has pushed actual social interaction into the background. It's sad when the guy two cubes away calls or e-mails me.