View Full Version : How to delete a file that won't delete?

me
09-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Audiovox SMT5600

I noticed, that although I had uninstalled the trial of Opera for Smartphones, a folder remained from it, at \Storage\Windows\AppMgr. I tried to delete the folder, using the File Manager that came on the phone. I got an error message, that it wouldn't delete ("Error-Failed to delete .......").

I looked in the folder. There is one file there, named 0F01.tmp. I tried to delete the file. Same error message, wouldn't delete.

I tried Resco File Manager. Same problem. I tried connecting to the desktop PC via ActiveSync, and using the "Explore" function of AS to delete the file from the Smartphone. I got the same error message.

I rebooted the smartphone, and again tried to delete the file with the phone's file manager. Still didn't work.

How can I delete a file in main memory that seems resistant to deletion?

Mike Temporale
09-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Using the built in file manager, check under the properties menu that there isn't any attributes set that might prevent it from being erased. (I don't have Resco, so I don't know if or how to check that using Resco).

Not sure that it will help or not. How big is the file?

me
09-26-2005, 03:47 AM
Using the built in file manager, check under the properties menu that there isn't any attributes set that might prevent it from being erased. (I don't have Resco, so I don't know if or how to check that using Resco).

Not sure that it will help or not. How big is the file?

I just looked under "Properties". "Read-Only" and "Hidden" are not checked, but "system" is. And the strange thing is, I cannot uncheck it (the system attribute).

Very strange. I could see that with a file in ROM, part of the original system files that came on the phone. But this was a file installed with the app "Opera for Smartphone", which I uninstalled. Why am I not able to change the "system" attribute, and delete the file?

Any other way to do it?

(I'm curious--if there is anyone reading who also installed the Opera for Win SP trial, and later uninstalled it, see if that file remains on your phone, and see if you can delete it.)