View Full Version : SP5 and SP5m Product Information Now Available on i-mate Website

Kris Kumar
09-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Looks like i-mate is preparing for the GITEX Dubai and the CTIA exhibitions. And hopefully we are days away from an official announcement, that will declare the launch dates for the two Wi-Fi enabled Smartphones. :) The product information for the i-mate SP5 and the i-mate SP5m can now be accessed on the i-mate website.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Kris-spet05-imateSP5s.jpg

The SP5 and SP5m share the same product specifications. They differ in only the outer body styling. The black SP5 is designed with the needs of a business user in mind. It has extra buttons to quickly access the E-Mail Inbox and contact list. The silver SP5m is designed for casual users. It has the buttons to start-stop music and to quickly launch the internet browser. Both the Smartphones feature Quad-band (850/900/1800/1900 MHz), EDGE and 802.11b. :rock on dude!: <!>

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Kris-Sept05-imatesp5m.jpg
The silver i-mate SP5m information can be accessed over here. (http://www.imate.com/DETAILS_SP5m.htm)

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Kris-Sept05-imatesp5.jpg
The information for the black i-mate SP5 can be accessed over here. (http://www.imate.com/DETAILS_SP5.htm)

Jerry Raia
09-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Put me down for a black one :)

Mike Temporale
09-25-2005, 06:56 PM
The only real difference is colour and design. All the features are the same. So, I really don't care which one I get. :mrgreen: I think Home and Back button layout on the silver model is nicer and easier to feel out in the dark - or without having to look first.

Jerry Raia
09-25-2005, 07:24 PM
I just have no use for the player keys. I'd rather have the Email button. :)

Kris Kumar
09-25-2005, 07:35 PM
I too like the layout of the buttons on the silver one. But the black &amp; silver one has the best styling. 8) The all silver version looks boring.

Sven Johannsen
09-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Would have been nice if there were two versions, one with and one without a camera, and each with four buttons you could assign to the functions you wanted.

Kris Kumar
09-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Would have been nice if there were two versions, one with and one without a camera, and each with four buttons you could assign to the functions you wanted.

I believe the button assignment can be changed. I remember reading some place that T-Mobile SDA (launched last year, the first one to have extra buttons) had a helper application that let its user configure the buttons. Pretty similar to the ones you see on Pocket PC devices. :-)

SteinE
09-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi there,

First time poster, long time lurker here. I’ve been following the developments on the SP5m ever since Qtek announced it back in August. I was thrilled at first what with the built in Wifi, EDGE, quadband and of course the QVGA display. But after seeing the specs on i-mate’s website I’m a little disappointed mostly due to the Bluetooth 1.1 and the USB 1.1.. This seems like the device I’ve been looking for, for quiet some time now, but alas my search isn’t over yet.

Mike Temporale
09-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure why that's the case. 2.0 should be standard on these devices, especially with USB. 2.0 can't add that much overhead, and the benefits easily outweights the cons. :?

Kris Kumar
09-26-2005, 03:38 AM
... I’m a little disappointed mostly due to the Bluetooth 1.1 and the USB 1.1.. This seems like the device I’ve been looking for, for quiet some time now, but alas my search isn’t over yet.

Hi SteinE, Welcome to Smartphone Thoughts :-)

Good point, with the improvements in the core chipset technology, you would think that by now Bluetooth 2.0 and USB 2.0 should be standard.

koifish
09-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi there,

First time poster, long time lurker here. I’ve been following the developments on the SP5m ever since Qtek announced it back in August. I was thrilled at first what with the built in Wifi, EDGE, quadband and of course the QVGA display. But after seeing the specs on i-mate’s website I’m a little disappointed mostly due to the Bluetooth 1.1 and the USB 1.1.. This seems like the device I’ve been looking for, for quiet some time now, but alas my search isn’t over yet.

I agree with Steine, USB 1.1 is a pain to transfer data with, the lack of A2DP provided by Bluetooth 1.2 will make it impossible to have Bt stereo headphones. My biggest disapointement is the outdated 200Mhz OMAP processor, same CPU was in the C500 but it was released years ago... dont get me wrong the wifi(b) and WM5 are great but won't justify me upgrading from a aging SMT5600

jimmymacv
09-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Can I buy this and use my Cingular USA chip in it?

Kris Kumar
09-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Can I buy this and use my Cingular USA chip in it?

By Cingular USA chip, I believe you are talking about SIM card. Yhe answer is yes. You can use your current Cingular service on these Smartphones.