View Full Version : Feds Want Cell Phone Ban for Teen Drivers

Jerry Raia
09-23-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilepipeline.com/news/171000541' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilepipeline.com/news/171000541</a><br /><br /></div><i>"New drivers have enough things to worry about without adding cell phones and other wireless devices to the mix, federal safety regulators say. They want all states to make it illegal for teenagers and other novice drivers to jabber on phones. The National Transportation Safety Board on Tuesday voted to add to its annual list of "Most Wanted Safety Recommendations to States" a ban on novice drivers using any wireless communication devices."</i><br /><br />Good idea? Maybe but what about the radio, the cd player and the food?

yanathin
09-23-2005, 05:35 PM
I somewhat agree with that... but that's getting a bit generalized. I have an idea - ban the use of cell phones during the first six months of driving owning a license.. In California, that's the amount of time you can't drive with a passenger under 24 years old.

I'm 19, and I can honestly say I'm probably more responsible than most drivers on the road today. There are those select few that give teen drivers a bad name.

Rocco Augusto
09-23-2005, 06:06 PM
you want my honest opinion? ban all cell phone use from the driver of an automobile unless they are using handsfree/bluetooth headset/speaker. motorola makes a bad ass little bluetooth speaker and jabra makes some great handsfree headsets that are relitivly cheap.

just because someone is an older driver doesnt mean they should get special treatment. they can just as easily cause an accident while talking on the phone as a new driver can. on my way to work yesterday i got cut off twice by someone that was to busy on a phone to pay attention to the roads.

nikjones
09-26-2005, 06:53 PM
It's mad to discriminate against teens, the UK has introduced a ban on holding handsets whilst driving and I've no complaints. If you can't be bothered to plan ahead and use a hands-free set, you aren't fit to drive.

This does assume the main risk is the holding of the handset. As an ex-smoker who would happily drive whilst sparking up, I know how many times I've been lucky not to scrape something. Same with holding a handset. Anyone who says they've never had a drift, or had to change gears with no hands on the wheel, is possibly fibbing.

The point made about CDs, radio etc is, I think, a different issue - get rid of all those things (and passengers) and you can still start thinking about the day ahead, the day you've just had, etc and lose concentraiton on driving. This is an issue of being in control of the car.

subzerohf
09-26-2005, 10:09 PM
... the UK has introduced a ban on holding handsets whilst driving and I've no complaints. If you can't be bothered to plan ahead and use a hands-free set, you aren't fit to drive....

I'm all for legislation that requires the use of a headset while driving, for everyone that is - not just teens.