View Full Version : Research Discovers That Phones Are Phones

Jerry Raia
09-21-2005, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/2005/09/009975.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/2005/09/009975.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Only 17% of those with a mobile use their phone for anything other than to make calls or send text messages on a daily basis, avoiding the more complex features available according to research conducted in the UK from Mobeon, reports 160characters.org. Mobeon concludes that, although the services may be clearly explained in accompanying manuals, users often do not understand the purpose of additional services and therefore do not feel any need to learn how to use them."</i><br /><br />There isn't too much more to do with a typical cell phone other than make calls and send text messages. I will assume they also include email in this. However if you are getting a Smartphone I would think it is exactly for using the advanced features. I wonder how many people who have gotten a Smartphone end up getting frustrated and not really using many of its features.

Mike Temporale
09-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Wait, are you saying that people just want to use their phone for calls? Bah! :lol:

egads
09-21-2005, 09:10 PM
I use my phone (Mpx220) as a phone, PIM, and run an occasional calculator or FlexWallet type program. What else would you want to do with a phone that has such a dinky screen?

Email, web browsing? That's tedious on a 640x400 screen let alone a SmartPhone screen. I know all of the features of my SmartPhone, I just choose not to use them because my PC/laptop do most of them sooo much better.

revolution.cx
09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Part of the problem is that phone carriers use the handset and account as a way to separate the user from his money as much as possible and in as shortsighted away as possible.

A few years ago this was true of voice services but it isn't so much now. More minutes are available, overages aren't as expensive and some carriers even rollover the minutes. Chock that up to competition and market maturity.

This leaves all the new account features and bells and whistles as the added revenue sources.

Ringtones, sending or saving that crappy phonecam picture, wallpapers, etc. are all extra.

Users know this and act accordingly. They understand that x amount of voice and y amount of SMS come with the account - everything else is gonna cost ya dearly. Even if there's an extra feature that is included for free the user is still lumping it in as an extra.

Until users feel they can use most of the extra services without a bunch of expensive and surprising extra charges on their accounts we're stuck with mainstream phone usage as being primarily voice.

Carriers are the devil. Really they are. The market will eventually even things out (hopefully) but in the meantime carriers are a blight on communications and innovation with their nearsighted view of how to make money.

Ned
09-23-2005, 02:04 AM
Hi,

When I purchase a cell phone, since its primary use is as a phone it must be a good phone to start.

Since I use the phone in the car I use the voice recognition feature of the phone and bluetooth to connect my headset.

I also use my phone's text messaging, email, and ability to run programs which are travel oriented and may or may not use my Internet connection. This is all for business travel, and staying in touch with clients at home and away. I have a bluetooth based keyboard in my brief case to use if I'm emailing or text messaging lengthly messages with clients.

Periodically, if I'm bored at a meeting in the evening I'll use the web on the phone and pull in the ball scores.