View Full Version : Headphone Use May Worsen Hearing Loss

Mike Temporale
09-14-2005, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/12/D8CJ24E83.html' target='_blank'>http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/12/D8CJ24E83.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Researchers fear the growing popularity of portable music players and other items that attach directly to the ears _ including cell phones _ is contributing to hearing loss in younger people. "It's a different level of use than we've seen in the past," says Robert Novak, director of clinical education in audiology at Purdue University in Indiana. "It's becoming more of a full-day listening experience, as opposed to just when you're jogging." Increasingly, Novak says he's seeing too many young people with "older ears on younger bodies" _ a trend that's been building since the portable Walkman made its debut a few decades back."</i><br /><br />I don't use headphones in the same manner that I did when I was younger. The days of <i>"it just has to be loud to be good"</i> are past for me, and my ears are thankful of that. However, I see a fair number of people with the music cranked so loud that I can clearly hear the song they are listening to 10 feet away. 8O I wouldn't expect that to be good for your ears, and according to this survey, it isn't. Does anyone here listen at those volumes?

Jerry Raia
09-14-2005, 05:21 AM
What?

Mike Temporale
09-14-2005, 05:31 AM
What?

:rotfl: Good one. ;) I think you're ears are shot due to all the jet engine white noise. :lol:

Jerry Raia
09-14-2005, 05:56 AM
Huh? :rotfl:

ina-nyminute
09-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Yes I do listen to music at loud volumes.
This is actually a problem that I've been considering.
When I excercise the volume on my "ipod" gets turned up(all the way to max) as the endorphins (spelling?) kick in.
When I'm running those last laps I really enjoy the loud volume.
At my age (47) I should be more careful with my hearing.

btw, I don't any more use an Ipod instead I use Creative's Nuvo 1 gig flash memory player with the Apple Ipod white ear buds which is a great combination only I wish it would go alittle louder!
Maybe I should be grateful the Creative player only goes to a certain volume, to protect me from myself.

PiPod
09-29-2005, 11:15 PM
i dunno, i don't think a study was really necessary...

it's kind of like the smoking research done that proved that smoking is bad for you. inhaling smoke never seems like a good thing to do, just like putting loud sounds inches away from your ear drum in not a good idea.