View Full Version : CAB files - the defenitive way to install them!

biscan25
09-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Can anyone tell me it, cause i'm having real problems installing the to my t-mobile SDA (uk version)

Thanks in advance

Mike Temporale
09-13-2005, 02:21 PM
CAB files should be copied to your device. Once on the device, browse to the file and run it.

One thing to note, Pocket PC CAB files will not work on a Smartphone, and Smartphone CAB files will not work on a Pocket PC. So make sure you have the right CAB file for the device you are installing it to. ;)

biscan25
09-14-2005, 08:27 AM
figured out that much by my self :D

the problem is: when i paste the files over 'something' appears to not make the transition from pc to phone.

i'll try another cab file later and post the exact wording.

Mike Temporale
09-14-2005, 11:01 AM
paste the files

the files? You need to copy the whole cab file. Don't open it on your desktop and copy it's contents. Copy the CAB file itself to the device. ;)

biscan25
09-14-2005, 11:42 AM
thanks for the replies

i've downloaded gstart2003 to my desktop. Copied cab, and then went to paste and got the following message:

Microsoft activesync may need to convert files when syncing bewteen mobile device and desktop.
Note a converted files may not contrain all info found in the original file.

passted cab files to start menu accessories . pressed to run the files and

Error
cant find gstartsp2003 or one of its components. make sure the path and file name are correct and that all the libraries are available

signed confused!

Mike Temporale
09-14-2005, 06:51 PM
It sounds like a program on your machine is associated with the CAB file.

Open File Manager and click Tools / Folder Options / File Types and find CAB in the list. What program is associated with it?

biscan25
09-19-2005, 08:55 AM
oh dear off to flyer here cant even find the tools button on my file manager!!!

Mike Temporale
09-19-2005, 11:03 AM
On the desktop, right? Along the top of the file manager window you will have File, Edit, View, Favourites, Tools, and About.

:wink:

biscan25
09-19-2005, 11:55 AM
it states content type MIME
opens with explorer

hope this helps

and many thanks for the help by the way.

Mike Temporale
09-20-2005, 03:25 PM
I just double checked my machine, and there is no entry for CAB.

What's happening, is the CAB file is being treated as a different type of file, and ActiveSync is converting it before it copies it across to your Smartphone.

I would write down all the settings you have listed for CAB (just in case), and then delete the entry. It should fix your problems.

biscan25
10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
the saga contiues!!

nope messing with the association of files on the desktop didnt work.

but guess what it aint the desktop!!

i downlaoded a cab file from an sms and same problem again

any clues yet again needed