View Full Version : modify smt 5600 home screen - How to Add Contact Info?

dbob
09-01-2005, 06:17 PM
I'd like to have my name and contact info on my home screen. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Mike Temporale
09-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Unfortunately, this isn't an option like it is on the Pocket PC. I'm sure there are a number of different "hacks" to do this. Here's the first thing that comes to mind.

Open up the wallpaper your using in Photoshop (or whatever you have) and physically add the information to that image. Then save it, and copy it back to the phone. Sure it's not a slick as using some plugin, but it's free!

If I think of any other ways, I'll post it back here. I'm sure something will come to me.

dbob
09-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I am using an image of Darth Vader as my home screen with one of the standard screen info styles on top. Of course, I'd have to learn to do photo manipulation.

Maybe you can suggest to one of the programmers to come up with a plug-in for this purpose. I can't be the only one who would pay to have this info on my home screen in case of misplacement.

Maybe, asking other readers for their suggestions as to what little 'tweak-ins' would be of interest would yield beneficial results?

How about the home screen design programs - are you aware of any that work well with the smt 5600 :?:

encece
09-05-2005, 01:27 AM
There certainly is an option built into the phone for showing this info on the homescreen. It's the Owner plugin which will allow you to show the name, phone number, email address, or notes.

Owner Info Plug-In
Description: Displays the information from the owner control panel

Text wraps if necessary: Yes

Receives selection: No.

Hide on phone lock: No

Class ID: {4824B576-EFFE-45cf-BAE9-649B930CD244}

The following variables are supported: <name/>, <phone/>, <email/>, and <notes/>. They show the owner's name, phone number, e-mail address, and owner notes, respectively.

To control the background of the plug-in, use the <background/> tag.

The following XML shows an implementation example for this plug-in.

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{4824B576-EFFE-45cf-BAE9-
649B930CD244}" height="20">
<background>
<format state="selected" bgcolor="#2A2CC5"/>
</background>
<label>
<text><name/></text>
</label>
</plugin>

dbob
09-05-2005, 03:52 AM
Respectfully, it's a 'g(r)eek' to me.

I'd love to put your info to good use, but how....?

Where do I access the code input point, etc? 8O

encece
09-05-2005, 04:15 AM
Simply, You need to do a little work.
You can edit the XML file forund in the windows directory or the application data/home directory and add the code or you can download/buy one of the few homescreen editors that will help you create a homescreen much easier.

If you go to Settings>Home Screen and change your Home Screen Layour to Windows Simple....you'll see an example of how the owner infor shows up on the bottom of the homescreen. this just uses the name tag...but you can add more.

Do a search on homescreens here and on other Smartphone Forums to see examples of different homescreen layouts. If you are a real novice, I'd recommend buying one of the apps.

dbob
09-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks again for your info and your time!

I think in my case the safe course to take is to use an app which has been proven to work with the smt 5600 and to stay out of the directory.

Bob

ctmagnus
10-16-2005, 06:50 AM
<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{4824B576-EFFE-45cf-BAE9-
649B930CD244}" height="20">
<background>
</background>
<label>
<text><name/></text>
</label>
</plugin>

I did a straight copy and paste, but somehow the first line wrapped in your code. The whole thing should be

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{4824B576-EFFE-45cf-BAE9-649B930CD244}" height="20">
<background>
</background>
<label>
<text><name/></text>
</label>
</plugin>

and then you've got your lovely name on your home screen :)

dbob
10-17-2005, 07:20 PM
I'd like to add my name and phone number and possibly my email address to my home screen.

I've read the other entries in this thread and am leary of editing my phone's directory.

Which home screen design app have you used on your smt 5600 and will it permit this?

To me, it's worth the cost of an app to protect (hopefully) my investment.

Also, I've entered my personal info as the first entry in my contacts - do you have any other suggestions?

:?: :D