View Full Version : MPx220 -- Won't power up without sim?

maggie2101
08-27-2005, 12:31 AM
I have an MPX 220 and decided to replace it with an Audiovox SMT5600. When I got the 5600 I took the sim out of the mpx and put it in the 5600 so that I would have the new sim, still in the little card, to put in the box when I sell the mpx. After doing so, I checked to see if the mpx would power up without a sim and it did.

Two months later, when I was ready to ebay the MPX, I tried to power it up to do a hard reset. It would not power up so I charged the battery. Now, even with the battery charged, it won't power up. So...does it have to have a sim in it to power up? Is the battery messed up? I just want to get it ready to sell. Before swapping sims to test it out I thought I would ask.

Mike Temporale
08-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Well, it doesn't need the sim to power up, but it does need the sim to do anything once it's powered up. I never understood why that is. It would be nice to access the PDA features without a SIM. :?

Sounds to me like you're battery is acting up. I would pull the battery out of the phone for a good couple hours. Then put the battery back in the phone and plug it in - Don't turn it on. Leave it to charge for a good couple hours - or 4. Don't try and turn it on, or anything. Even if the charge light doesn't come on, just leave it plugged in. Return after a considerable amount of time, and try turning it on while it's still plugged in.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes. (It's worked a number of times for me. ;) )

maggie2101
08-27-2005, 02:06 PM
I will try that today and report back. Thanks so much for answering.

rdecker
08-27-2005, 11:10 PM
My 220 does everything but phone functions without the SIM......odd

Jerry Raia
08-28-2005, 01:14 AM
My 220 does everything but phone functions without the SIM......odd

It does? I couldn't get mine past the boot screen without a sim card. What ROM version are you running?

maggie2101
08-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Well that worked, it powers up now and I was able to do the master reset. Now it is ready to sell. Thanks!

Mike Temporale
08-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Well that worked, it powers up now and I was able to do the master reset. Now it is ready to sell. Thanks!

That's great news! I hope the sale goes well. 8)