View Full Version : SMT5600 telephone number matching / contacts

oturn
08-20-2005, 05:45 PM
When I dial a phone number on my SMT5600, it attempts to match the number to a contact number. All of my contact numbers start with an area code, but I never use the area code when dialing manually (unless they are out of the area!). Unfortunately, because of this, the phone can't match the number to a contact. It there any way around this besides re-entering all of my contact numbers without area codes, or using the area code when I dial?

Mike Temporale
08-20-2005, 08:10 PM
You can dial by the persons name instead of the number. (It's a smart search, so don't tap the key over and over again from the right letter - use it in the same way as T9)

While we're talking about contacts, it's worth mentioning; You should have all your contacts entered in the '+1 (nnn) nnn nnnn' format - if possible. You're phone is smart enough to know if the call is local or not. This makes a difference if you're traveling outside of your local area and need to call someone that's now long distance, but normally is not. So no matter where you are, you can call a contact without getting an annoying message from your carrier that this isn't a local call. ;)

oturn
08-20-2005, 09:01 PM
I do use the name matching, but sometimes it's just quicker to start dialing the number, instead of trying to get the letters right. So there's really no solution?

ctmagnus
08-20-2005, 11:23 PM
While we're talking about contacts, it's worth mentioning; You should have all your contacts entered in the '+1 (nnn) nnn nnnn' format - if possible. You're phone is smart enough to know if the call is local or not. This makes a difference if you're traveling outside of your local area and need to call someone that's now long distance, but normally is not. So no matter where you are, you can call a contact without getting an annoying message from your carrier that this isn't a local call. ;)

I had all my contacts setup that way, but then Spb released Diary and their Contacts plugin started truncating all the phone numbers it displayed. So I ditched the +1 on all phone numbers in Outlook and Diary looked proper again. But now that I have a device that I can dial from (other than via Bluetooth) I'll have to reconsider it.

Come to think of it, I dialed a LD (the Kanaskis area to Calgary) number from my SMT5600, using the in-built Contacts app and a (nnn) nnn-nnnn (Telus Mobility, to be exact) number a few weeks ago and nobody complained. Hmmm.

Mike Temporale
08-21-2005, 01:34 AM
Come to think of it, I dialed a LD (the Kanaskis area to Calgary) number from my SMT5600, using the in-built Contacts app and a (nnn) nnn-nnnn (Telus Mobility, to be exact) number a few weeks ago and nobody complained. Hmmm.

SMT5600 on Telus Mobility? Are you sure, 'cause Telus is CDMA, and the 5600 - last time I checked - isn't. ;)

It seems to depend on the carrier. Some will correct the number and allow your call to continue, while others will reject it. To play it safe, the actual GSM standard is for numbers to have the country code in front and then the system determines if it's needed or not.

We had a really great thread on this back in Feb of last year. Arne Hess from the:unwired was able to shed an amazing amount of light on this. At least I think so, anyway. If you're interested, here's the link:

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4961

ctmagnus
08-21-2005, 01:50 AM

SMT5600 on Telus Mobility? Are you sure, 'cause Telus is CDMA, and the 5600 - last time I checked - isn't. ;)

From a Rogers phone to a telus phone :twak: ;)

It seems to depend on the carrier. Some will correct the number and allow your call to continue, while others will reject it. To play it safe, the actual GSM standard is for numbers to have the country code in front and then the system determines if it's needed or not.

Interesting...

We had a really great thread on this back in Feb of last year. Arne Hess from the:unwired was able to shed an amazing amount of light on this. At least I think so, anyway. If you're interested, here's the link:

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4961

Also interesting...

Mike Temporale
08-21-2005, 01:56 AM

From a Rogers phone to a telus phone :twak: ;)

Oh.... I gotcha. My bad. :oops:

So Rogers has allowed that to pass, while Fido has rejected that for me. At least they used to. Since I switched all my contacts, I've never had a problem again. :D