View Full Version : GPRS Monitor

Patrick
08-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Can you guys recommend any good software for monitoring GPRS data usage? I tried the Spb GPRS Monitor and it worked great for one day, and then stopped working.

Mike Temporale
08-11-2005, 08:18 PM
There are a lot of them out there. I can't recommend any, since I don't use one myself. If I had to choose, I would start with the Spb monitor, as their tools are typically really good.

Here's a link to all the titles found when searching for "GPRS monitor" at our affiliate store: http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/search.asp?keyword=gprs+monitor

Sven Johannsen
08-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Can you guys recommend any good software for monitoring GPRS data usage? I tried the Spb GPRS Monitor and it worked great for one day, and then stopped working.
Funny, same thing happened to me, only after a couple of days. Hadn't concerned me because with an unlimited plan, it was only for academic interest.

You and I should e-mail support, because Mike is right, SPB does typically have good products. Do you have it on an SMT5600? I do.

Patrick
08-11-2005, 11:11 PM
I agree, I have used some SPB stuff on the PPC and never had a problem. I did submit a support request through their website, and they have not responded yet. Interesting that you had the same problem.

I wish I had an unlimited plan. The data rates from my carrier (Rogers) are rather high. Since I am only using the phone for personal use, I find it hard to justify the expense. Hence the need for a GPRS monitor to keep me under the limit.

Sven Johannsen
08-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Ah yes, the joys of living in the US. Both Cingular and T-Mobile have $20 unlimited plans. Makes up for for most of the world hating your a$$.

I filled out a support thing at SPB too. Noticed one check box they had asked if it was installed to a memory card or RAM. Mine's on the card (like everything else). Wonder if the first suggestion will be to re-install to the RAM.

Mike Temporale
08-12-2005, 10:58 AM
After Sven's comment about Acedemic use, it got me thinking, and sure enough I did install this a while back. :) Installed and forgotten about. .

Anyway, I checked things out, and at first it looked like it had stopped working after two days, but upon closer examination it was just fine. When you're looking at the traffic chart, pushing up on the joystick will toggle the view between Year (the default), Month, and then day. Since it was on year by default, it showed a little activity in July and in August, but when I changed it to month or day view, it's plain to see that it's been busy everyday.

Oh, and for the record, mine is installed on the storage card. If that matters.

Sven Johannsen
08-12-2005, 05:13 PM
When you're looking at the traffic chart, pushing up on the joystick will toggle the view between Year (the default), Month, and then day.
Yep, knew that. and side rocker changes days, or months or years forward and back. Even the report you can generate just quits on mine after a couple of days.

Appreciate knowing your's is on the card though. Sort of kills that issue as a problem. Hmm.

I did also have one day in June it showed traffic, besides the 4 in July. Might have been when I re-installed stuff. I have pulled it and re-installed once or twice. Pulled because it wasn't doing anything and put back on because I'm an optimist ;)

Mike Temporale
08-12-2005, 05:31 PM
When you're looking at the traffic chart, pushing up on the joystick will toggle the view between Year (the default), Month, and then day.
Yep, knew that. and side rocker changes days, or months or years forward and back. Even the report you can generate just quits on mine after a couple of days.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

I'm sure you've done this a million times, but... Have you guys double checked the connection settings? Prehaps it is hooked on the wrong connection? :?

Sven Johannsen
08-12-2005, 06:17 PM

Oh well, it was worth a try.

I'm sure you've done this a million times, but... Have you guys double checked the connection settings? Prehaps it is hooked on the wrong connection? :?

I keep checking this, hoping it's wrong. I do wonder though. GPRS Monitor is set to Cingular GPRS, which is the name of the GPRS data connection. My data connections are all set to Automatic, so I can take advantage of when I am tethered to the USB. Wonder if I set them to Cingular GPRS, if that would make a difference. HMM, will try that.

EDIT: Nope, changed the internet data connection selection to Cingular GPRS and browsed around for a while. Still no data logged. I even rebooted to make sure that wasn't a problem. Guess I'm paying too much for the unlimited plan, since I'm not using any data ;) Course thats not what the Cingular statement says.

ctmagnus
08-13-2005, 05:57 AM
I use Efficasoft GPRS Traffic Monitor (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8876&highlight=gprs) and haven't noticed any hiccups.

Patrick
08-15-2005, 03:48 PM
I have a smt5600 and I installed the app to the storage card. I have fooled around with the different views (year, month, day) and generated reports, but they all only show traffic for two days. I also noticed that the today screen plugin stopped working. I used to be able to move the rocker left and right to change what info is displayed, but it is now stuck on the same view. Looks like there is definately something wrong with this software. Glad I tried the demo :D

Patrick
08-15-2005, 03:49 PM
I use Efficasoft GPRS Traffic Monitor (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8876&highlight=gprs) and haven't noticed any hiccups.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

subzerohf
08-29-2005, 05:03 AM
If you are still looking for one, I have been using All-Location Traffic Counter for almost 3 months. It works like a charm, never hiccups. It gives report for a specific day or month. It does not give a hour-by-hour report though. But it has a personal counter, you can reset the personal counter anytime you wish. I find it quite handy.

It has to be installed on the phone's memory, though.

Rebecca
11-24-2005, 01:17 PM
I also use and recommend the Efficasoft GPRS Traffic Monitor.

I previously tried the SPB one and it never registered data for me :cry:

Also the Efficasoft one has a home screen plugin and is cheap.