View Full Version : PQV and VCE rise again

bitbank
08-11-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm working on a big update to my Pocket QuickView and Virtual CE software (both PPC and SmartPhone versions). I've made some changes to make PQV radically faster at browsing images and I would like some feedback on how you would like it to operate. I will release a free beta as soon as it's a little more complete, but shown below is a screen shot of the new SmartPhone file selector. Right now it allows you to zoom through a directory full of images and shows the thumbnail image as you navigate. Any ideas on improving the usability would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry Bank

P.S. In case you didn't notice, the screen shot below is 240x320 taken from a SPV C550 (paid a fortune for it :( )
http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/downloads/pqv_sp.jpg

Mike Temporale
08-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Wow, sounds nice Larry. I look forward to giving it a try.

As for my thoughts, I would like something that can display the DCIM picture info (is that the right name??). You know the data about when and with what type of camera, etc... Prehaps, you could move the thumbnail to one side, and show this on the other side? My only other suggestion - without having used the app - is to change the black background on the preview window to white. It will make the picture look brighter and easier to see. Plus, white always has a cleaner look to it.

Just my $0.02. Looking forward to the beta release. :D

bitbank
08-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the tip about the background color. This is actually a user-settable option, but I will default to white.

The EXIF picture data is something that will be hard to fit along with the other info. I can add a menu option to display it (not everyone wants to see it all the time). How does that sound?

I'm really looking for feedback about the best way to navigate a directory of photos. Should the screen be all thumbnails with small names below? A tree view ? a tree/list view? All ideas are welcome.

Larry B.

Mike Temporale
08-11-2005, 03:35 PM
The EXIF picture data is something that will be hard to fit along with the other info. I can add a menu option to display it (not everyone wants to see it all the time). How does that sound?

Sure. Or what about displaying it over top of the thumbnail image? Kind of like the display window on a digital camera, where it shows you all sorts of image information overtop of the image - usually by use of icons and what not. The only really important stuff I want to see is usually the date when it was taken and the resolution. I agree that making it a user option would be the best thing. Then it doesn't hang in your face if you don't want it. :D

I'm really looking for feedback about the best way to navigate a directory of photos. Should the screen be all thumbnails with small names below? A tree view ? a tree/list view? All ideas are welcome.

All Thumbnails - I don't tend to like this idea for a couple reasons. First, it can take a good minute or two to generate all the thumbnails and that's always annoying. Also, scrolling through a list of icons is awkward. I never liked the 2 column wide and 4 row high layout.

Tree View - I typically prefer this because it allows one to easily see where you are in the hiearchy. However, on the small screen it chews into the free space needed to show the full filename and other details.

List View - Provides the most space to show filename and details and it requires just as much effort to navigate the folders. (ie: you still have to scroll to the top to move up a folder - the same as thumbnail or tree view) I think the breadcrumb along the top that shows the current location allows this to have a similiar feel as the Tree view in that you always know where you are, but provides the most space for displaying data without scrolling.

Hope that helps a little.

bitbank
08-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the idea about the info overlay. After thinking about it a bit more, I'm going to give it a try.

I've done some more optimization (writing part of the JPEG decode in ARM assembly language) and have some good results.

On an HP iPAQ h2215 (my slow test machine) PQV can extract and decompress a 160x120 thumbnail image in 32 milliseconds. To decompress the image at full size (2272 x 1704) takes 1 second from RAM and 1.5 seconds from CF/SD.

I am working on cleaning up the file browser and adding a nice display of the photographer's info (ISO. shutter, F, flash, etc).

More news soon...

Can any one find some load times from other photo software to compare with mine?

Thanks,
Larry B.

Mike Temporale
08-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Can any one find some load times from other photo software to compare with mine?

Well, how did you time that? I guess I could use my old iron man watch. I don't know if that's acurate enough. The only image software I have right now is Imageer for the PPC from Spb. I would like something as fast as that for my Smartphone. :D

Mike Temporale
08-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the idea about the info overlay. After thinking about it a bit more, I'm going to give it a try.

Cool, I'm glad you like the idea. I think it's pretty neat.