View Full Version : USB on SMT5600 - Can we use as host?

kal_smt5600_new
08-09-2005, 07:37 PM
HI,
Can we use the USB on the SMT5600 as a host? I am trying to connect
a GPS rcvr to the USB but i guess USB on SMT is a 'device' and cant be used as a 'host'.
Is this true?

Thanks for any tips & trics to get this work :)

Mike Temporale
08-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Yup, that's right. To my knowledge, there are no Smartphones that offer Host USB. You'll need to find another way to connect a GPS - either using Bluetooth, or maybe a special cable of some sort.

kal_smt5600_new
08-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks Mike ..
I feared so ..
You think a cable of some sort can be done? I was reading a 'how USB works' and it did not look possible.. Also, i did not see any config option
to map UBS to one of the serial ports etc ..

Do give me any pointers if this can be done and i will try it out ..

Thanks
Kal

Mike Temporale
08-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Oh, I don't know anything special. I do recall seeing a couple cable companies that specialize in making various different cables that allow phones to connect to other devices. However, I don't know if they have anything for GPS or the SMT5600.

I can't think of the company name, but I know they have been featured on Pocket PC Thoughts. Their cable is basically 2 ends. You pick the end you need for your phone, and then pick the other end you need for your device. Most of their cables are between phones and Pocket PCs. However they did have some other cables. Again, I don't know if GPS was one of them or not.

I know that's not much help, but it's all I know. Sorry. :(

Bill Harrison
08-13-2005, 06:41 PM
I am not sure whether the smartphone has serial capability in its plug. I highly doubt it does based on the limited number of pins available. This is the cable that is commonly used to connect serial gps transmitters to a pocket pc. Very few pocket pc's have USB host capability either, the toshibas being some of the few that do. So most people that have connected the pocket pc to a gps reciever have done so using a serial connection cable for the pocket pc, which I hightly doubt exists for the smartphone.

Bill