View Full Version : Couple of newbie (IE, stupid) questions! Cingular 5600

Bill Harrison
08-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Hiya, just got my 5600, so far so great! Love it. Heres a few stupid questions!

1. how in the heck do i capitalize! Sometimes it caps correctly, sometimes it doesnt. Is there a "shift" key? I could not figure it out.

2. How fast is the connection of GPRS? I was considering using blue tooth to my laptop as internet. How speedy is it in MBPS?

3. I know this sounds REALLY stupid, but is there a voip for smartphones? I have unlimited internet plan, and could use this instead of expensive minutes if i get close to going over on my plan.

4. Good ebook reader? I have some locked files, is it possible, My searches say no, but ?

5. Is it possible to change the little animation when an incoming call? I mean the one with the phone and little like rays coming out of it. LOL

Sven Johannsen
08-02-2005, 05:38 AM
Hiya, just got my 5600, so far so great! Love it. Heres a few stupid questions!

1. how in the heck do i capitalize! Sometimes it caps correctly, sometimes it doesnt. Is there a "shift" key? I could not figure it out.

When you type, up where the battery normally is, shows what mode you are in, it can be Abc, ABC, 123, etc. Each mode is covered in the manual but hitting * cycles you through the modes. ABC will get all caps.

2. How fast is the connection of GPRS? I was considering using blue tooth to my laptop as internet. How speedy is it in MBPS?

:lol: MBPS? we are talking Kbps, 19.2 if you are lucky. While you can connect your laptop through the phone via BT, it is not going to be an exciting experience. Certainly OK if you are going to check mail, but the typical graphic burdened web page du jour will be painful.

3. I know this sounds REALLY stupid, but is there a voip for smartphones? I have unlimited internet plan, and could use this instead of expensive minutes if i get close to going over on my plan.

Would be nice, but the limited data rate on GPRS is prohibitive for VoIP. MS does have a research project called Portrait, which does veryt low bandwidth Audio and Video believe it or not, but it doesn't seem to run on an SMT5600.

4. Good ebook reader? I have some locked files, is it possible, My searches say no, but ?

Kind of depends on the e-books you are wanting to read. I don't even like pleasure reading on my PPC. I couldn't imagine enjoying it on a SP.

5. Is it possible to change the little animation when an incoming call? I mean the one with the phone and little like rays coming out of it. LOLProbably, but I haven't an answer for you on that one.

Mike Temporale
08-02-2005, 02:26 PM
5. Is it possible to change the little animation when an incoming call? I mean the one with the phone and little like rays coming out of it. LOLProbably, but I haven't an answer for you on that one.

Yes it is. Stay tuned, I'm working on a article that covers that. ;)

Bill Harrison
08-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys! Thanks for the answers, and So far, a couple more quick questions:

Multiple Attachments? Is this possible? I took a few snapshots of a car that I needed to email the office to decide if we wanted it. I could find no way to attach more than 1, and had to send 4 seperate emails. Kinda screwy! Is there a way around this? I am using my gmail account if that makes any difference.

Notes? Does a smartphone have no notes program? I find this hard to beleive! After only a couple days of use, I can type with t9 pretty quickly, certainly faster than i can hunt and peck on my pocket pc's virtual keyboard.

Money? Microsoft money, or some sort of microsoft expense program i can sync to money on the desktop? It would be nice to track expenses while on the road!

This thing is SOOO close to having all i need, i cant wait for the 2005 models come out. Is it true that there is now just a common application for all windows mobile 2005 devices? So no more hoping for a smartphone version?

Mike Temporale
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys! Thanks for the answers, and So far, a couple more quick questions:

No Problem. Although, most of your questions have already been answered many times. You should try doing a quick search, you'll be surprised at the results. ;)

Multiple Attachments? Is this possible? I took a few snapshots of a car that I needed to email the office to decide if we wanted it. I could find no way to attach more than 1, and had to send 4 seperate emails. Kinda screwy! Is there a way around this? I am using my gmail account if that makes any difference.

Not that I know of, but I can't say that I have ever tried this. ;)

Notes? Does a smartphone have no notes program? I find this hard to beleive! After only a couple days of use, I can type with t9 pretty quickly, certainly faster than i can hunt and peck on my pocket pc's virtual keyboard.

Nope, but you can get something like SmartphoneNotes - which is a great little app.

http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=185

Money? Microsoft money, or some sort of microsoft expense program i can sync to money on the desktop? It would be nice to track expenses while on the road!

No Microsoft Money - but there are plenty of other applications out there that do this. However, I don't think any sync with money.

This thing is SOOO close to having all i need, i cant wait for the 2005 models come out. Is it true that there is now just a common application for all windows mobile 2005 devices? So no more hoping for a smartphone version?

No, it doesn't work that way. Basically, the Pocket PC is getting a Smartphone emulator. So most Smartphone applications will run on the Pocket PC without problems. However, Pocket PC apps will not run on the Smartphone. You just can't emulate a touch screen. ;)

Hope that helps.

Sven Johannsen
08-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Basically, the Pocket PC is getting a Smartphone emulator. 8O Hadn't heard that. Details? Link?

Mike Temporale
08-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Basically, the Pocket PC is getting a Smartphone emulator. 8O Hadn't heard that. Details? Link?

Alright, I stand corrected. I know that I read that someplace, but after a lot of searching with no results, I asked someone on the inside and have been set straight. It was just a rumor - there is no truth to it. So WM5 will not allow any applications from one platform to run the other. Unless of course the developer has specifically built an installer for the other platform.

Sven Johannsen
08-04-2005, 03:28 AM
Too bad. Thought you had some inside dirt. Maybe it was wishful thinking associated with the Smartphone and PPC emulator for the desktop.