View Full Version : What Do You Use Your Camera (Phone) For?

Kris Kumar
07-31-2005, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2533' target='_blank'>http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2533</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Most of today's mobile phones as well as all Smartphones (except the first generation phones) but also many Pocket PCs and Pocket PC Phone Editions have a camera today - in different qualities. From QCIF to 1.2 Megapixel and some (regular phones) even have 2 Megapixel cameras with auto focus instead of widely used fixed focus technology. As always, if you have something new, you have to find the cases you want to use it for. An MP3 player is easy, listening music on the go and a camera seems to be a low-brainer too, snapping photos - but in which situations do you snap pictures and what do you do with the shots?"</i><br /><br />Arne Hess over at <a href="http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2533">the::unwired</a> has shared his thoughts on the many uses for the camera on his Smartphone and is inviting readers to share theirs. Given the quality of the photos from the camera phones, I treat the photos as <i>disposable photos.</i> While shopping if I come across an interesting product, I take its snapshot as a reminder and to grab the make-model information, so that I can research it when I get home. Everytime I have taken photos of my family or friends with that camera, I have been pretty disappointed. I liked Arne's idea of taking the photo of the parking lot. That is a cool use for the camera phone. 8) What do you use your Smartphone camera for? Did you use it this weekend?

David McNamee
07-31-2005, 06:04 PM
I don't remember who I stole the idea from, but I snap pics of the "You Are Parked In..." signs when I park in a garage. I tend to forget where I left my car :oops: Very useful if you are in a large garage like the airport, or the parking megaplex at Universal Studios Florida.

I also take "normal" pics when I've forgotten my camera.

Kris Kumar
07-31-2005, 06:26 PM
I also take "normal" pics when I've forgotten my camera.

The "normal" pics I took with the camera phone were also because I had forgotten my main camera or because no one had a camera. But they are always disappointing. And they look odd in the album which contains photos from Canon Digi-Rebel!

I was hoping that the MPx220 with its 1+ Megapixel camera would bring some decency. But even though it has awesome resolution, it has other problems.

Kris Kumar
07-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Here's another good use for the camera on the phone :?:

If you rent a car, there are times when the key chain does not have the license plate number, well use the camera phone to take a snap of the plate.

Mona13
08-01-2005, 12:46 AM
I got rear-ended and took a picture of the guy's license plate. Turned out he had given me all false info, but I was able to get the correct info from the DMV!

Mona13

surfer
08-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Well I use mine for the ocassional snapshot to send as mms to friends. If I need to take a better picture i just bring my regular camera. :D

Bill Harrison
08-01-2005, 10:28 PM
I was behind a fender bender on a very busy street. I was able to snap a few pics of the scene so the cars could get off the road to safety due to the danger of being stopped in the intersection. When the police arrived, they were able to look at the photos to see exactly what had happened.

Its also very nice to ALWAYS have a camera with ya. In the past there have been many times i said "dang, i wish i had my camera right now". Now, I do!

Mike Temporale
08-03-2005, 12:37 AM
I don't remember who I stole the idea from, but I snap pics of the "You Are Parked In..." signs when I park in a garage.

Now that's a good idea. I haven't lost the car yet, but I don't want to start either. :lol:

Mike Temporale
08-03-2005, 12:39 AM
I got rear-ended and took a picture of the guy's license plate. Turned out he had given me all false info, but I was able to get the correct info from the DMV!

Mona13

I would guess that this is one of the more common reasons for getting a camera phone. It's the main reason I bumped up my wife's phone to a camera phone version. Thankfuly she has yet to use it for this, but I like the idea of it being there, just in case.

Mike Temporale
08-03-2005, 12:55 AM
Here's what I last used my camera phone for; Last Thursday, I walked out the front of my clients office building in downtown Toronto and instantly noticed that the street out front of the building was lined with black cars that had little red lights on the hood and the roof. There was 4 cops on motorcycles at the front, 4 at the back, and a dozen or so cops on Mountain bikes. All hanging out in front of the building. After a little speculation with my co-workers, we checked with a photographer hanging out on the street and learned that the Prime Minister of Canada (The same thing as the President of the USA - for all of you not familiar with Canada) was in meetings in our building.

Sure enough, a short 15-20 minutes later, he walks out the front door, but stops short of getting into the cars. Instead he turns and starts walking towards me and my co-workers. Shakes our hands and continues walking along down the street. I snapped my picture just as he was turning and heading towards us. I was too taken back by his willingness to walk the streets that I didn't even think to snap another picture of him shaking our hands. The picture didn't turn out too good, but that's him in the centre with the white dress shirt on.

http://www.bluerocket.ca/images/CameraPhone-Picture-PM.jpg

Mona13
08-03-2005, 01:22 AM
That's a pretty clear pic for a camera phone. Which phone do you use?

Mona13

Mike Temporale
08-03-2005, 01:39 AM
That's a pretty clear pic for a camera phone. Which phone do you use?

Mona13

I've gotten much better - if my hand is stable and the lighting is even. I'm using a Orange C500 (same as a 5600).