View Full Version : The Way Windows Mobile Software is Distributed Today Needs to be Roofed

Jerry Raia
07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2512' target='_blank'>http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2512</a><br /><br /></div><i>"If you are not that deep into it, there are two version of setup files for Pocket PCs (and Smartphones): cab files and exe file. Exe files are installed from the PC via ActiveSync. However, basically the PC is "only" unpacking the exe file which also contains a cab file and copies this to your device. From there, the Windows Mobile device automatically starts the cab and installs the application. Some developers also provide cab versions of their applications. These cab files have to be either copied to the device (or can be directly downloaded - as I tried today) and can be executed/installed directly from the device; without requiring a PC in the middle."</i><br /><br />Our friend Arne Hess brings up an issue that has always bothered me. I think that any software for a Smartphone should be able to be downloaded directly to that phone and installed. A number of developers only offer .exe installation programs that need a PC to install the software to the phone. One workaround I have used (but does not solve the problem of direct download) is to stop at the beginning of the .exe installation process and then go hunt for the .cab which by then has been extracted. It can usually be found in the local/temp directory. Now at least I have the .cab file and can store it on my SD card.

kennyg
07-19-2005, 02:27 AM
Something that might help you hunt down those CAB files. In order for ActiveSync to find them when later when a device is connected, Microsoft tells us developers to put the CAB files in either the Program Files directory with other installed software, or under the Microsoft ActiveSync directory with a name matching the software name. All software that I have installed puts it in one of these two spots.

I also have a CAB file available for all my software, many times for folks on the road and need to re-install and don't have internet access except on their devices!

Kenny
Code City Limited

Jerry Raia
07-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Good point. Some developers don't even do that though. :?

Mike Temporale
07-19-2005, 03:19 AM
I hardly ever use a CAB file. If that's the only thing available, then I'll use it. But for the most part, I install from my laptop.

Maybe if they had a way of bundling both into one file and it could automatically detect where it's running from. (I know not really possible, but it would be ideal. ;) )

Stinger
07-19-2005, 09:37 AM
I'm going to take the easy route and blame Microsoft... ;)

What Microsoft need to do is make their installers platform independent. The same file can be installed from a PC, from the phone/PDA or even over-the-air. That way the end user (or the operator) wouldn't have to worry about developers taking the easy option.

I believe that Symbian already does something similar?

PPCMD
07-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Since I moved to the MAC OS I need the CAB install options. I had to email all of the developers who apps are on my MPx220 to get the CAB files. Most were helpful, some didn't even respond. My wife still has an XP machine but to me that isn't the point. I don't want to have to use her computer evertime I need to load or reload my machine. CAB files should be the real option.

Jerry Raia
07-20-2005, 01:01 AM
The cab files should be primary. Some developers use the .exe install to push some of their other products and perhaps in their case they don't want to offer a cab file.

PR.
07-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Psion had a perfectly good install routine in the Series 5 days, an SIS file could be run from the desktop or the PDA and it would install fine.

The problem I have with the WM solution is what mess it makes. The EXE installers usually dump things in Program Files and the Start Menu that you don't need, the Add/Remove in ActiveSync doesn't show what version the software is listed as so even when its listed as available to install I still re-download it off the Internet because I want the latest version. One of the biggest annoyances is EXE files dumping entries in the Desktop PC's Add/Remove programs what's the point?!

MS should have changed the installer default to a new format called WIS which either the Desktop or PDA/Smartphone can run and install the WIS files are all stored in a folder within the ActiveSync folder called Installers which was used to generate a list of apps in the ActiveSync Add/Remove programs window, the WIS format would allow developers to require user input such as entering your serial numbers before the program is installed or any other variable information other information included such as what version it is and what device it runs on. It should also allow developers to say what programs supersedes another program so Pocket Informant 2005 removed Pocket Informant 5 listings