View Full Version : Good and Cingular to Support SMT5600 and MPx220 with GoodLink 4.5

Mike Temporale
07-12-2005, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.good.com/index.php/pr_2005071105_g.html' target='_blank'>http://www.good.com/index.php/pr_2005071105_g.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Good Technology, the leading provider of industry standards-based wireless handheld computing software and service, today announced GoodLink 4.5 for Microsoft Windows Mobile-based Smartphones. Adding to its breadth of handheld choices on the Windows Mobile-based Pocket PC, Palm and, in the future, Symbian-powered Nokia handhelds, Good will now support a greater range of line of business needs with a highly portable, cost-effective handheld platform. GoodLink 4.5 for Windows Mobile-based smartphones will initially be available on the Motorola MPx220 and Audiovox SMT5600 and supported through global carriers including Cingular Wireless in the U.S."</i><br /><br />Wireless, always-on email is fast becoming the killer app of any mobile device, if it hasn't already, and everyone is gunning to be your always-on provider. That's <i>Good</i> news. :wink: The press release also mentions that <i>"IDC forecasts 8.6 million Windows Mobile Smartphone users by year-end 2006."</i> Which is more <i>Good</i> news. :lol:

rdecker
07-13-2005, 07:46 PM
I am a big user of Cingular's Express Mail system; it is also a push email service that also gives you access to calendar and contact information. I'm not sure what the difference is between it and the Good Link offering.

Express Mail is client based - Maybe Good Link is server based.

Express Mail is offered at no extra charge but an unlimited data plan is a good thing to have.

Ralph

nskgti
07-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Good is the same (and often better)concept as a Blackberry BES system. The security is a little tighter on Good and their are some more features available, but Good does not manufacture devices...

I know I will be moving away from my Treo 650 running Goodlink and going to my SMT5600 when this comes available... My work requires me to carry a blackberry, but I prefer my Treo to a blackberry. Since we have both Good and BES at Cingular, I have both set up on my corp email and use my blackberry while at work and my treo (soon to be Audiovox) while I'm out at night. I don't respond to emails much at night anyway, so this will work out great.

Mike Temporale
07-14-2005, 02:40 PM
So you'll be swaping SIMs all the time? Doesn't that bug you?

jimmymacv
07-15-2005, 02:38 PM
I thought you can have different phone numbers for two devices that access the same msexchange server to synchronize with?

SassKwatch
07-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Wireless, always-on email is fast becoming the killer app of any mobile device, if it hasn't already,.....

I hate that.....because it's almost assuredly true.:) And because it reminds just what a contarian I remain. It boggles my mind at times that so many wish to be more and more connected all the friggin' time. Heck, I LIVE for the days when I can *disconnect*. :)

Mike Temporale
07-20-2005, 01:28 AM
I hate it because it makes it sound like the only thing these devices are good for is email and that's just not true. There is so much more to a Smartphone than just always on email.

As for disconnecting; My wife would love it if I could do that a little more. Unfortunately, my work requires that I be plugged in a little more than the average person. :) And I love it. :mrgreen: