View Full Version : Live8 Sets Text Messaging Record

Mike Temporale
07-04-2005, 02:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10333974' target='_blank'>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10333974</a><br /><br /></div><i>"More than 26.4 million people from around the world sent text messages on Saturday in support of the Live 8 campaign to cancel the debts of the poorest countries, setting a world record, organizers said. ...the previous record for the most text messages sent on a single day for a single event was around 5.8 million for an episode of the television talent show "American Idol" where viewers vote for the winner."</i><br /><br />26 million times $0.10 per message... You know, I still think it would have been more productive to charge admission to the concerts and then donate 100% of the ticket price (and SMS fees) to Africa. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how this SMS record goes. I'm sure this is just the start of things to come. This record will be broken again and again in the next couple years I am sure.

Ed Hansberry
07-04-2005, 03:02 PM
26 million times $0.10 per message... You know, I still think it would have been more productive to charge admission to the concerts and then donate 100% of the ticket price (and SMS fees) to Africa.
Pure symbolism. "We feel good about raising our awareness of the situation in poor countries. We aren't doing anything about it, but we sure feel good about it. And congrats to you Bono for all of your free publicity!"

Group hug everyone. :roll:

gcherian
07-04-2005, 05:47 PM
I have a basic problem with this - most of the debt ridden countries in africa is still ruled by dictators and canceling the debt is kind of helping them and not the actual people. How can we make sure that all the aid and money reaches the people that need them and not in the hands of these thugs and armed gangs who black market even their children for arms and then fight and kill other tribes. Is this the solution to poverty in africa - I personally do not think so. Live 8 is a great marketing stunt and nothing more - if any one really think they want to help then directly interact with the people who need them, empower them by giving them education, and sustain that with providing jobs which will continue to feed their stomach and mind.

George

chucky.egg
07-04-2005, 07:10 PM
I disagree

It is symbolism, yes, but not in a shallow way - those (like me) who believe that in this day and age we can't continue to ignore other humans dying simply because they had the misfortune (?) of being born in an extremely poot country have voiced our opinions in a direct and specific way. That is not an option at general elections - you can never know why a party got voted into power.

I agree with the thoughts on making sure that the "extra money" these countries will have reaches the places it needs to, and I'm not niaive enough to think that all of it will, but that is out of our hands.
Cancelling debt is only on offer for those countries that meet certain criteria on good governance and tackling corruption. Measuring those things is another matter, but nobody said this was going to be easy.

As for getting involved first hand, well that's a grand idea, but frankly I don't get to spend enough time with my own son, and time is more precious than money to me. Our governments and other bodies are employed to do these things for us - to represent us, and in this case to represent our desire to see a more equitable system.

It seems to me that money can't solve (m)any problems, it only ever seems to be the cause of them, but I can't see how Live8 and the debt relief can be a bad thing.

Just my 2p