View Full Version : Stop sound alert from playing

jimmell
07-01-2005, 12:13 PM
I used to be able to do this, but with my new phone (Audiovox SMT 5600), I cannot. When I receive an alert (VM, txt, etc.), the associated WAV file palys all the way through to completion, with no way to silence it, other than turning the phone off or covering the speaker On a different phone, I could stop the file from continuing by pressing any key. Anyone know of a tweak to fix this?

Mike Temporale
07-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Just press the volume key - doesn't matter if it's up or down - it will silence speaker. At least it works that way for incoming calls. It should be the same for anything else. At least I would think it should. :)

jimmell
07-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Nope, I thought so too. It appears only to work for incoming calls but will not silence the VM alert.

Mike Temporale
07-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Well, that's silly. :?

volcomjerk
07-13-2005, 06:04 PM
I have the same freaking problem and its pissing me off its so hard to send or recieve an MMS or TXT message at work without that dumb alert going on full blast only to alert everyone that I have a new TXT message! This needs to be fixed and is a serious issue. I wish I could complain but I don't know who to complain to. Cingular would just want to switch out the phone but I know I'll just have the same problem. Stupid douches.

Mike Temporale
07-13-2005, 07:12 PM
You could always put your phone in silent mode when you're at the office. ;)

jimmell
07-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Too many workarounds for something that is supposed to be a convenience. Setting the phone to silent all day at the office is not the most efficient way to handle things. As suggested earlier, it appears the only way to handle this one is to truncate your audio file to 10 seconds or so and then let it play out. Sounds like another design flaw (see my other posts about not being able to easily disconnect from GPRS with this phone).

Sven Johannsen
07-14-2005, 05:11 PM
You have three options on each profile, Ring, Alarm, Notification and System. I think SMS incomming is Notification. You could set that to just vibrate and leave the others alone.

Jerry Raia
07-16-2005, 04:38 AM
You might take a look at Soundz Cool. (http://www.aimproductions.be/smart_catalogue_title.asp?product_id=109) I use it and have a real short tone assigned for email and messages. You can also assign no sound.