View Full Version : Converting Video for Smartphones! (DETAILED GUIDE)

Rocco Augusto
06-30-2005, 12:31 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This guide is intended for individuals that want to convert movies/tv shows to size and resolution suitable for Microsoft Windows Mobile Smartphones!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PocketDivxEncoder

-------------
Files Needed
-------------
PocketDivxEncoder (free - http://divx.ppccool.com)
Betaplayer (free - http://betaplayer.corecodec.org)

(This is most likely the easiest way for neophytes to video editing to get decent quality Divx files on their Smartphones)

-------------
Guide
-------------
Download PocketDivxEncoder and Betaplayer. Install Betaplayer to your Smartphone and then open PocketDivxEncoder.

01) Select the Smartphone picture (first image to the left)
02) Select file to encode
03) Select output file
04) Select output options
05) Click 'Direct Encoding' button

VOLA! You're all finished. Pretty simple, just 5 easy steps.

VirtualDub/VirtualDubMod

-------------
Files Needed
-------------
VirtualDub (free - http://www.virtualdub.org)
VirtualDubMod (free - http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net)
Xvid 1.0.3 (free - http://www.koepi.org)
Betaplayer (free - http://betaplayer.corecodec.org)

(The difference between VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod is that VDM converts MPEG files. If your video files are in MPEG or the Matroska container format than this version of VD is for you. This guide is intended for individuals that want more control over their output files than you usually get with PocketDivxEncoder)

-------------
Guide
-------------
Install the Xvid codec to your PC as well as Betaplayer to your phone. Unzip VirtualDub/VirtualDubMod to a location of your choosing and you're all set to go!

01) Open VirtualDub
02) Select filters (VIDEO>FILTERS)
03) Click Add
------ Resize
------ New Width (176)
------ New Height (220)
------ Filter Mode (Bicubic)
------ Click OK
04) Click Add
------ Rotate
------ Right by 90 degrees
------ Click OK
05) Exit Filters
06) Apply 'Full Processing Mode' for video (VIDEO>FULL PROCESSING MODE)
07) Enter compression settings menu (VIDEO>COMPRESSION)
08) Select 'Xvid MPEG-4 Codec' and click the 'Configure' button
09) Xvid Settings
------- Profile @ Level (AS @ L5)
------- Encoding Type: (Single Pass)
------- Target Bitrate (kbps): 200 *click Target Quantizer to get bitrate*
10) Apply 'Full Processing Mode' for audio (AUDIO>FULL PROCESSING MODE)
11) enter compression settings menu (AUDIO>COMPRESSION)
12) select 'MPEG-3 Layer-3' and select the bitrate '24kBits/s, 12,000Hz, Stereo 3KB/s'
13) Save processing settings (FILE>SAVE PROCESSING SETTINGS)
14) Open file to encode (FILE>OPEN VIDEO FILE)
15) save output file (FILE>SAVE AS AVI)

Feel free to play around with the settings. These are the settings I use when encoding to my Audiovox 5600. Different Smartphones might yeild different results. Attached (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/VirtualDub-Smartphone-Settings.vcf) are my processing settings so you can just load them and encode (FILE>LOAD PROCESSING SETTINGS)

-opti-

-------------------------------------------
NOTE: I would write a guide for converting files to WMV format through Windows Media Player 10 except I have never honestly tried to convert files that way, for Smartphones, since I don't like the WMV codec (to fuzzy for my taste). Also from my understanding you can only do so if your phone has WMP10 on it already, which a lot of older Smartphones do not.

EDIT: 11/11/2005 - After FIVE months I have finally got around to encoding some WMV files to update this guide. Unfortunatly though I could not find a method of encoding those files where you would not only get 'good' picture quality but small filesizes as well. An hour long show came out to about 78MB at 128kbps and the image quality was VERY poor to say the least. That same file encoded with Xvid came out to about 56MB and the quality was fantastic. Go with Xvid if you want the best possible results. :)
-------------------------------------------

Just wanted to say thank you to Mike and the rest of the SPT crew for refering individuals to this guide. Also a special thank you goes out to everyone that has sent me thank you letters and input about ideas I could use in the updated version of this guide that I am working on. All questions and comments are always welcomed so keep em coming!

David C
07-01-2005, 05:36 AM
I can share my way for converting to WMV files--No additional player needed.

1. Get the .VOB
2. Use DVD2AVI and end up with .d2v and .wav file
3. Use VFAIPConv-1.05-EN and turn the .d2v into a virtual .avi file
4. Use Windows Media Encoder 9, and encode using the .avi for video and the .wav for audio. On my I600, I have the video at 195k CBR and Audio at 48k VBR.

Play using Window Media Player, or use Betaplayer with ASF plugin to watch the movie at full screen.

Spatulator
07-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Pocket Divx Encoder is great software. Its free, easy to use, makes good quality movies for smartphone. Encoding time is fast, what more could you want.

Rebecca
07-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Here is a tip for the ones encoding in Vdub or pocketDivx Encoder:

Instead of AVI choose OGM with ogg audio. This will make a much smaller file with VBR audio.

And I use the following settings on my SMT 5600 with great results:

PocketDivx Encoder/VirtualDub:

Video: Divx 165kbps or Xvid (same results), 20fps, double pass
Audio: ogg, 48kbps 44khz stereo (to choose custom audio settings in PD Encoder you have to touch a small unoticiable arrow besides the audio quality slider).

Windows Media Encoder:

Video: WM 9 VBR 130 or 145 kbps depending on the movie, 20fps
Audio: WM 9 VBR 48kbps

balaaan
07-02-2005, 11:35 PM
First of all, thanks a lot for this great post.
I'm trying to use VDM to resize my mpeg files but can't find the Audio tab on the VDM menu. I tried downloading & installing audio codecs with no luck..

Can someone help in explaining how to add audio codecs &/or show the Audio tab?

Thanks
balaaan

Rocco Augusto
07-03-2005, 04:08 AM
First of all, thanks a lot for this great post.
I'm trying to use VDM to resize my mpeg files but can't find the Audio tab on the VDM menu. I tried downloading & installing audio codecs with no luck..

Can someone help in explaining how to add audio codecs &/or show the Audio tab?

Thanks
balaaan

i forgot to mention it in my guide, for VDM on the audio side you have to right click the audio stream listed and there will be the same options that you would have for the regular VD. once i get home ill write out a more detailed way to do so! SORRY!

-opti-

Rebecca
07-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Question for the video Gurus:

I don't understand what's the difference between Xvid and DivX, besides Xvid being free source.

As far as i understand both are based on the same code from project Majo.

Is there any difference in quality or is one better than the other for smartphone use?

Thanks

Rocco Augusto
07-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Question for the video Gurus:

I don't understand what's the difference between Xvid and DivX, besides Xvid being free source.

As far as i understand both are based on the same code from project Majo.

Is there any difference in quality or is one better than the other for smartphone use?

Thanks

main difference is xvid is just divx spelled backwards ;)

in all seriousness though you hit the nail on the head stating the differences. divx is a closed source codec while xvid is open source, free for anyone to use. i personally prefer xvid for encoding to smartphone because i get better quality picture and faster encode speeds using the same settings for divx5 and divx6.

to be honest i really excitied waiting for divx6 to come out because of all the hype behind it and the promise for better quality files at smaller file sizes. after playing around with it though my honest opinion was that they dropped the ball and took a step down from divx5. using the same settings i would have used for a divx5 video i got a divx 6 video with tons of artifacts.

until something better comes along im gonna stick with xvid. its small, light weight, produces great quality video. right now its the best codec in my opinion but when it comes to codecs everythings relative, its all a matter of opinion, in the eye of the beholder ;)

-opti-

peters
07-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi everybody!

I read verry interesting discuss about video converting a few days ago. I love you my SMARTPHONE because this is freedom, really freedom!
I create many, many movies and think than my information could be help to many people.
At first, you have to put a basic question. What is better? SlideShow or Really fluently moving pictures. My choise is simply becauce I allways prefer just QUALITY!
What you need?

GuardianKnot (full)
BeSweet
OggMux
XviD codec
BetaPlayer (in Smartphone)

...and... a little bit of time

Why NOT DivX? Because isnt free and mainly DivX with bitrate under 200kbps produce very, very, very ugly pictures!!! XviD is the bright winner in this possition.
This is my recipe for you smile:

Run GuardianKnot.
0; Personalize your GuardianKnot
1; Decrypt DVD
2; Prepare the VOBs (all basic instructions are in the boxes)
3; After project saving you have to switch direct to Resolution section and click on the OPEN button. Select your e.g. movie.d2v. Then check Input resolution, IPAR (The most of DVDs are anamorphic) and switch Disable in CROP section and click on AutoCrop button. After few seconds GK crop all black borders. You have to change output resolution down to Width: 220 and Height: 160 ( W/H modul=2). I like wide screen but SmartPhohe display has size too little and 2,35:1 is useless. I use a little trick. Change the value of cropping (only vertical size)(click on arrows) in the Crop section. You have to watch information in AspectRatio box. Optimal is value between 1.44 to 1.33 (crop L/R is about 90). What more information do you need for this? Just Total movie lenght and movie preview. You have to drag the slider in the preview window and check the movie composition (how far are the actors heads etc.). You can set the start of credits and if is all correct and usable and Save and encode. Check the First Pass in XviD, Second Pass (must be selected B-frames!!!) (optimal bitrate for full screen is 180kbps) and thats all for VIDEO. Whole process take the time for about 1-2 hours. You must create sound, yet. Ideal tool is BeSweet. Open ac3 file, select downsampling to 44.1kHz. Output format is OGG with 56kbps. It takes for about 30min. Now you have to mux video+audio. OggMux is very simple tool but good. Muxing takes a few seconds.
Thats all.
I know, exists a many form how to create good movie for SmartPhone, but this is very simple, very quick and without compromises. All parametres are optimal and balanced. Benchmark on Betaplayer has sufficient reserve (175%) and movie experience is really charming. I tell you flat than this movies are the right reason why my friends are sad. Sad because their mobile phone looks like a toy for children.

Sorry, my english is horrible because I started to learh this wonderful language just a few months ago.

Very, very thanks for your time whitch you spended with my lines...

Peter

Note: You can change a many parametres, but at first you MUST to try your configuration because the reachest is our time.

Rebecca
07-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Does anyone else besides me is using OGG audio on their encoded films?

Mike Temporale
07-11-2005, 02:00 AM
Does anyone else besides me is using OGG audio on their encoded films?

Well, I'm still new to all this. I used optikalsaint guide last weekend and using the PocketDivxEncoder method I was able to easily encode and transfer a movie I've been meaning to watch. Works like a charm. Not sure if that's OGG or not, I suspect not, but it's nice.

peters
07-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Of course. OGG is the best audio format espacially for low bitrate. Congratulation. You are become the user with THE HEAD!

Rocco Augusto
07-15-2005, 03:30 AM
as mnay good things as i have read/heard about OGG im still very fond of mp3. maybe it has to do with me not liking change that much. i have decided though since i was able to get mike to watch movies on his smartphone i might as well experiment with OGG and add a section of that to my guide for others users that might want to try the codec. :)

-opti-

P.S. - if there are any other ways that users might be interested in me writing a guide for let me know. if you want a nice DVD to smartphone guide i'll write it. different programs you would like to see me use besides virtualdub i'll do it. i want to make this guide as big as possible!

peters
07-15-2005, 06:32 AM
Hey everybody!

STOP! Why do you like a mediocrity? Why?
PocketDivXEncoder has good looking GUI but result of video converting is still like bike driving. If you like Rolls Royce driving feelig you must to learn a conversion of High Society. I`ll prepare guide with more screen shots. This will be very easy. I promise you. Realy. I`ll refer about this on time. Be patient.

Peter

Rocco Augusto
07-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Hey everybody!

STOP! Why do you like a mediocrity? Why?
PocketDivXEncoder has good looking GUI but result of video converting is still like bike driving. If you like Rolls Royce driving feelig you must to learn a conversion of High Society. I`ll prepare guide with more screen shots. This will be very easy. I promise you. Realy. I`ll refer about this on time. Be patient.

Peter

the pocketdivixencoder guide was written for individuals that wanted to dabble in video conversion but weren't ready to get down and dirty with it. its basically a n00bs guide which is why the virtualdub guide was written after so they would have a choice or either ease or control.

next thing im working on is a guide to rip from dvd to smartphone. there are a couple of no hassle tools there that i will write guides for as well as a couple more control guides for those individuals that don't mind a lil dirt on the hands ;)

-opti-

Kingsfan
11-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Hello\,
I just installed pocket divx and betaplayer.
I am trying to encode a surf video and am getting the following error:
"Not enough free space on destination disk. Available free space-0
Free space needed: 1305 Mo

Rocco Augusto
11-10-2005, 09:53 PM
the error message sounds like you do not have enough free space to encode the video. try using the virtualdub method that i posted earlier, that might help :)

EDIT: i've searched all day yesterday trying to find any reference to taht error message that you posted and I could find none. which program were you using when you got the error message? what operating system are you using? what are your system specs?

any info you can provide me with might help me in finding a solution for you :)

Rocco Augusto
11-11-2005, 08:55 PM
so im updating the guide. im thinking of adding images for the step by step instructions to make it easier for the encodingly challenged to get movies on their smartphones.

i have recieved a ton of feedback since posting this guide and i would love to hear more ideas and thoughts that anyone would have for version 2 of this guide. if you want to share those ideas with me please feel free to forward them to my PM box here at SPT or just post it here in this thread :)

-opti-

Rebecca
11-24-2005, 01:29 PM
I would love to see that DVD to SP guide :wink:

About OGG: you can encode your movies in 40kbps and they will sound simmilar to mp3 at 96k but this is a huge size difference.

Rocco Augusto
11-25-2005, 01:02 AM
I would love to see that DVD to SP guide :wink:

About OGG: you can encode your movies in 40kbps and they will sound simmilar to mp3 at 96k but this is a huge size difference.

im working on it. im a little backed up at the moment because we just opened up a bunch of new cingular store locations in my city and im in charge of helping out with those and setting up all the computer equipment. the good news is im about half way through with the guide :)

-opti-

Sven Johannsen
11-25-2005, 08:07 AM
At the risk of being stoned, what's wrong with using MP10 to sync content to your Smartphone, assuming it has MP10 on it? If it's in your desktop video library and playable, even avi and pvr-ms (ms recorded TV), you just open up Sync, select the files and say GO. It converts and compresses all by itself.

Maybe not afficionado quality, but dirt simple, and we are talking about viewing on a tiny screen after all.

Rebecca
11-25-2005, 01:15 PM
At the risk of being stoned, what's wrong with using MP10 to sync content to your Smartphone, assuming it has MP10 on it? If it's in your desktop video library and playable, even avi and pvr-ms (ms recorded TV), you just open up Sync, select the files and say GO. It converts and compresses all by itself.

Maybe not afficionado quality, but dirt simple, and we are talking about viewing on a tiny screen after all.

The problem with using MP is that you don't have control of the end result, for example you can not convert movies in full screen you are only limited to small video size, also it is slower.

Rocco Augusto
11-25-2005, 08:16 PM

there is nothing wrong with using it if it is your thing. i didn't include it in the guide though due to the lack of controll and quality in the end product.

while you do have a tiny screen i don't feel we should settle for sub par results. i will however include a section to sync transcoding in the next guide.

Sven Johannsen
11-26-2005, 01:58 AM
I guess if you are really into watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or the Matrix on a 2" diagonal screen, you will do what it takes to make it good. I'm into taking the 640x480 home videos of my Grandkids and getting them on my phone to annoy my coworkers with. My phone is typically hooked up to the PC syncing anyway, so I just need to rate the new videos 5 stars, maybe downgrade a couple and the 5 star videos playlist transfers as I sleep. I agree it would be nice if the result came out appropriate to whatever size screen it was going to, but hey, I get out of it what I put into it.

Rocco Augusto
11-26-2005, 02:22 AM
I guess if you are really into watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or the Matrix on a 2" diagonal screen, you will do what it takes to make it good. I'm into taking the 640x480 home videos of my Grandkids and getting them on my phone to annoy my coworkers with. My phone is typically hooked up to the PC syncing anyway, so I just need to rate the new videos 5 stars, maybe downgrade a couple and the 5 star videos playlist transfers as I sleep. I agree it would be nice if the result came out appropriate to whatever size screen it was going to, but hey, I get out of it what I put into it.

Thats why I'm gonna include a lazy mans guide to video encoding in the next guide release ;)

Rocco Augusto
12-18-2005, 12:07 AM
UPDATE: I know I promised to have an update in a couple weeks and I apologize that it hasn't been released yet. I was suppose to have my WM5 device back in November but as you all know the 2125 was delayed and I do not have the funds to purchase an SP5(m) online :(. Once I receive my new device I will post my new conversion guide so it will have optimized options for the new QVGA screen as well as the improved hardware in WM5 devices.

I could release the guide that is optimized for WM2003SE hardware based devices but I don't want to release two seperate guides or leave some users out in the cold. I know could probably use the emulator to test my converted files but I want to use an actual device so I can push the conversion to limit to get the best image quality possible.

Now if anyone wants to lend me a WM5 device so I can finish the guide quicker I will be more than happy to do that too ;)

juni
12-28-2005, 08:07 AM
I was playing around with copying dvds yesterday. Quick question: Why not just let DVD2AVI save the avi file (you can choose codecs, I find divx the best)?

Windows Media Encoder can let you choose a file both for video and sound. I tried using the same encoding profile I use for my HX4700 with a smaller width and height but 500kbs was a bit too much for the little device. :D

Kris Kumar
12-29-2005, 04:57 AM
optikalsaint, thanks for this guide.

I never thought I would watch video on my Smartphone. But with the QVGA screen and iTunes download of a Monk episode. I was desperately trying to convert the .M4V format (Apple's DRM enabled MPEG-4 :twisted: ) to something I could watch on my Smartphone.

That is when I hit this post. Thanks. I have been able to convert some videos and watch them on my Smartphone. I now have some cartoons and Seinfeld episodes on my Smartphone. 8) And waiting eagerly for the QVGA optimization tips. ;-)

But the Monk episode will have to wait till iTunes releases a Window Mobile client. :evil:

Rocco Augusto
01-01-2006, 12:37 AM
optikalsaint, thanks for this guide.

I never thought I would watch video on my Smartphone. But with the QVGA screen and iTunes download of a Monk episode. I was desperately trying to convert the .M4V format (Apple's DRM enabled MPEG-4 :twisted: ) to something I could watch on my Smartphone.

That is when I hit this post. Thanks. I have been able to convert some videos and watch them on my Smartphone. I now have some cartoons and Seinfeld episodes on my Smartphone. 8) And waiting eagerly for the QVGA optimization tips. ;-)

But the Monk episode will have to wait till iTunes releases a Window Mobile client. :evil:

or until i find a way to encode it :twisted:.

im glad my guide was able to help you out kris. hopefully once i get my wm5 phone i can get this guide finished. if not ill just try to finish it up with basic qvga settings (320x240 instead of 176x220) :)

ashmore0425
02-18-2006, 02:47 AM
I am trying to convert tv shows that I recorded on media center and I am having no success. I am not high tech so the SIMPLEST directions would be grgeat. I have an Audiovox 5600. Thanks.

Rocco Augusto
02-18-2006, 10:14 PM
I am trying to convert tv shows that I recorded on media center and I am having no success. I am not high tech so the SIMPLEST directions would be grgeat. I have an Audiovox 5600. Thanks.

unfortunatly i havent been able to find a good way to convert video from MCE to a smaller file size for smartphones except using the import/sync wizard in Windows Media Player.

The downside is the file quality isn't really that good unless you turn the bitrate up really high which will cause the phone to stutter on playback... its a catch 22.

i know i said i would have an updated guide soon and i will, I just have to rewrite it from scratch due to my work laptop being stolen. I've been really busy at work training new hires so I just havent had the time to start rewritting it. Once I have a nice new guide ill send it over to Mike and the gang :)

ditch_azeroth
04-18-2006, 12:31 PM
cool guide... can i add some tricks? ^_^

anyway, i dont bother with virtualdub too much because i only use TCPMP to play videos (and pocketmusic for music ^_^) one thing you need to know - pocketdivx encoder dont like wmv's and mov's too much (and a few other formats). you have to encode these to mpg's, lossless/etc avi's or whatever before you can convert it to pocketdivx. i use tmpgenc most of the time. why? because it's easy to use and has tricks that can help you improve or maintain the quality of the video that you are about to encode. it also has batch encoding. total video converter is also as good... so i use either of those. always remember though that the more processes of encoding a video file goes through, the more chances that you will cause some loss of quality - though it's unnoticeable to the untrained eye most of the time... so they say...

anyway, if you have a 132mhz smartphone like me (HTC e200 voyager), chances are that your phone will stutter when you play the encoded video file. this is due to hardware limitations. specifically, phones like mine can only play around 16-18 frames per second without problems. most videos are around 23.976 - 30 frames per second. this is a problem. what you can do is drop the frame rate a few frames... on a relatively small screen, the difference is near negligible. same goes for the audio part - small speakers... not really to much to fuzz over about... unless you got senheisser headphones... as for the ogg thing, it is a nifty trick... but i dont bother with it too much because the amount of space you save is directly proportional to the amount of hassle you get in doing so. so if anybody is interested, here's how i encode videos for my smartphone ^_^:

- get/rent/rip/download a video and rip/encode it to avi or mpg
- fire up pocketdivx encoder (get v0.03.60 - its got niftier features. v0.03.50 has the ogg thing... again, i dont bother with that too much)
- select the device (very cool idea btw)
- "1" open file to encode
- "2" select where you want to save finish product (or you could skip this part, it saves the file on the same directory but with an appropriate extension on the filename)
- "3" set the file size and quality. the more you move the bars to the right, the better the video and sound quality gets. flush right means best quality. default settings are not too shabby. if you want to fool around with the other settings like changing the output size or cutting the clip, dont let me stop you. the settings are already maximized for smartphones so actually, dont bother touching anything (except for the sliders - if you want to)
- if you have a 132mhz processor like me, hit advanced options>frame rate< and change it to 16.0 or 18.0
- feel free to fool around with the other settings. no-brainer descriptions are there when you mouse-over the said tweak
- hit "Encode Now" to finish the thing
- transfer file to your memory card via card reader or activesync (though i doubt you can get past the 40MB mark)
- fire up TCPMP on your smartphone (they got version 0.72 now... lots of improvement)
- hit play and enjoy

and that's all there is to it. call me nerdy and childish but i watch a lot of naruto and bleach on my phone. quality is good enough that i can ready the subtitles. if you have questions, fire away. i'd be glad to help ^_^

zilla31
12-02-2006, 04:46 PM
potentially dumb question but what's the diff between betaplayer (the link to that seems to be timing out for days now BTW) and TCPMP?

ditch_azeroth
01-08-2007, 06:04 PM
hmm... well, betaplayer is pretty much the older versions of tcpmp. now, tcpmp v1.04 or something... and it's now called the Core Player. personally, i still like version 0.81rc1. cheers ^_^

zilla31
05-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Is PocketDivxEncoder still the way to go? I've been using it for a while but was thinking about a change for encoding vids for my wm6 t-mo dash. Any new/good alternatives?

onlydarksets
05-13-2007, 04:12 AM
Is PocketDivxEncoder still the way to go? I've been using it for a while but was thinking about a change for encoding vids for my wm6 t-mo dash. Any new/good alternatives?

It's hands down the easiest for non-VOB conversions. The "best" is probably Tmpegenc Xpress, but it's not freeware. However, it will accurately handle anything you throw at it.

There is a new version of PocketDivxEncoder (0.3.96). It appears to incorporate jelwood's modifications to mencoder (http://babgvant.com/forums/thread/3815.aspx), which means it can natively handle Windows Media Center files (DVR-MS).