View Full Version : Cingular Asks FAA to Ban In-Flight Phone Calls

Jason Dunn
06-17-2005, 11:28 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.designtechnica.com/article7668.html' target='_blank'>http://news.designtechnica.com/article7668.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Cingular, the largest cell phone service provider here in America, has asked the FAA to ban in-flight phone calls, instead encouraging the use of text messaging. USA Today and CNN are both reporting that Cingular has sent a letter to the FAA and the Federal Communications Commission requesting they leave a ban on in flight phone calls. If the ban is lifted, then Cingular will still encourage their customers to use text messaging instead of making calls while in the air. Cingular spokeswoman Rochelle Cohen told USA Today "that people talking loudly or incessantly on cell phones in trains, restaurants or other closed venues is a constant source of grousing by its customers." Verizon is backing up Cingular's stance on this by saying there is not a big enough market for cell phones on planes because it would be hard to listen to a conversation."</i><br /><br />I'm with Verizon and Cingular on this one - planes are already a painful way to travel for the most part (in economy class at least): cramped space, myriad of sounds/odours from those around you, and no power for laptops. Now they want to introduce the possibility of someone yammering loudly in a "CELL PHONE VOICE" (people think they're being quiet, but really they're not) on the phone about their ingrown toenail for three hours straight? 8O I'll pass thanks. But if this does come to pass, and people decide making calls on a place is socially ok, I can see the sales of MP3 players and noise-cancelling headphones skyrocketing. :lol:

dollardr
06-17-2005, 11:49 PM
I agree!! Flying is painful these days - I just can't imagine being next to someone yacking away on their cell phone.

And what about all the goofy ringtones??? It still amazes me that people don't turn off their ringers in certain situations - its rude and obnoxious.

rbrome
06-18-2005, 12:01 AM
...planes are already a painful way to travel for the most part (in economy class at least): ... and no power for laptops. ...

Ah, I see you haven't flown U.S. Airways recently... they have power ports at every single seat on most of their planes - it's wonderful! :D

And for those who don't know - www.seatguru.com is a MUST for finding good seats on good planes. A true lifesaver for long flights! Man I love that site... 8)

Jason Dunn
06-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Ah, I see you haven't flown U.S. Airways recently... they have power ports at every single seat on most of their planes - it's wonderful! :D

Wow, that does sound nice. Too bad I never fly with them. :?

Mike Temporale
06-18-2005, 02:19 AM
Ah, the on-again, off-again debate on cellphone use in planes. I wish they would just decide and get on with things. While I would agree that it isn't something that I want to see happen, I don't fly much so it isn't a really big deal for me. :)

Jon Westfall
06-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I wonder if the fact that most carriers charge a premium for text messaging plays a part in this. After all, 10 cents an outgoing text is reasonable when its 1 text a day, but if you're on a plane trying to communicate what a 5 minute phone call could communicate, you might be texting back and forth 30 or 40 times. And quite frankly, the stupid noises most phones make when a text comes in are just as bad as someone yacking on them :)

bobmay
06-19-2005, 02:43 PM
I think this is a terrific solution to communicating while traveling. It gets my vote.

Jerry Raia
06-19-2005, 10:20 PM
I wish they would stop messing with all this stuff and just give us internet access on flights.