View Full Version : A Day in the Life of Your Windows Mobile Smartphone

Mike Temporale
06-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Smartphones are more than just a phone, I think we all understand this or else we wouldn't be here, right? ;) For me, I rely on my phone to wake me up in the morning. At that point, it's main use is keeping me connected to the internet and up-to-date on email. It also doubles as my MP3 player for my train ride to the city, and the camera helps to snap quick pictures of various interesting things that I come across as I run from client to client. The calendar keeps me informed of where I need to go next, and Pocket Streets helps me find my way, if I haven't been there before. On the off chance that I arrive early, it also has a couple games to keep me entertained. ;) On top of all that, it still has to work as a phone, and luckily it hasn't failed on any of these points.

It wasn't that long ago that I had to carry multiple devices, and it still didn't offer as much as my Smartphone. So what about you? What role does your Smartphone play in the course of your day? Do you think you could spend a day or two away from it? I don't think I could.

scottb
06-15-2005, 06:51 PM
I use my smartphone for e-mail all the time. My contacts and calendar are on it and it's the first place I look to see what my next appointment is or when looking for someone's phone number or e-mail address. I use it for alarms to remind me of daily events, as well as when bill payments are due. There are a few games on it that get occasional use. It is also where I go to get headlines and news. And, finally, I use it as a phone too!

thoughts
06-16-2005, 05:27 AM
Mike, Could'nt agree with you more! Have a look at http://pathlesspath.blogspot.com/ to see my thoughts on the same. The potential is enormous!

Mike Temporale
06-16-2005, 10:52 AM
Mike, Could'nt agree with you more! Have a look at http://pathlesspath.blogspot.com/ to see my thoughts on the same. The potential is enormous!

Awesome. By the way, I love the title of your Blog post. ;)

subzerohf
06-16-2005, 07:28 PM
... Do you think you could spend a day or two away from it? I don't think I could.

Having had a wide screen (16x9) tv for the last 3 years, I can no longer go back to what I had (4x3) before. The same goes with my phone, I don't think I will ever go back to "less intelligent" phone ever.

BTW, on top of email and appointment, I rely on the phone to check weather. Living in a region (Ontario, Canada) where temperatures can vary by as much as 15 degrees celcius within 24 hours, I need to be up-to-date on the forecast. I know, you can check it on the web or on tv. But why? All I have to do now is to take a glance at the Home screen on my phone. 8)

Mike Temporale
06-16-2005, 07:31 PM
I rely on the phone to check weather. Living in a region (Ontario, Canada) where temperatures can vary by as much as 15 degrees celcius within 24 hours, I need to be up-to-date on the forecast. I know, you can check it on the web or on tv. But why? All I have to do now is to take a glance at the Home screen on my phone. 8)

Hey subzerohf, What are you using to view the weather? Most of the apps I looked at didn't touch Canada. I eventually gave up looking. :(

Santa Fe
06-16-2005, 11:23 PM
My smartphone is my extra brain. It seems like I have all kinds of important but hard to remember numbers, facts, to-dos, lists and just stuff that I need to refer to. E-wallet and Smartphone Notes save me lots of time and embarrassment almost daily (not having to call my wife to ask is, as the commercial says, "priceless"... :)

subzerohf
06-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Hey subzerohf, What are you using to view the weather? Most of the apps I looked at didn't touch Canada. I eventually gave up looking. :(

It's Fizz Traveller (http://www.fizzsoftware.com). Or you can look for it in Handango. This program gets the weather data from Custom Weather. I find their forecast pretty accurate. They have many international cities to choose from, too.

gryph0n
06-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Here's a few things that I can think of

* OTA Exchange Activesync (Contacts, Calendar, and E-Mail)
* Phone
* Instant Messaging (using Agile)
* Entertainment (Movies, Music, Games)
* eBaying (Abidia Wireless)
* Checking Weather (WeatherBug)
* Checking Traffic (Pharos Smart Traffic)
* Checking Gmail
* Reviewing Powerpoint Presentations (Clearvue)
* Maintaining ToDo Lists (Power Tasks
* Password, etc Management (Code Wallet Pro)
* Web browsing (ThunderHawk and IE)
* GPS Navigation (Global Sat BT GPS, and Mapopolis)
* BT Modem (When cable goes out or on the road without WiFi availability).

Mike Temporale
06-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Here's a few things that I can think of...

Gee, it sounds like you don't use your phone much at all, eh? ;) :lol:

Mike Temporale
06-20-2005, 06:31 PM

It's Fizz Traveller (http://www.fizzsoftware.com). Or you can look for it in Handango. This program gets the weather data from Custom Weather. I find their forecast pretty accurate. They have many international cities to choose from, too.

Thanks! I got Fizz on there now, and I have loaded up my city, plus 5 other of my favourites places. ;)

nikjones
06-29-2005, 07:00 AM
I've just stopped using my C500! Trying to sync both smartphone and x50V (PPC) with Outlook wasn't working - Contacts would be deleted from 1 mobile device and stay on the other. Since both devices use Microsoft OS, data leakage from Outlook is NOT acceptable :evil:

However, I can't go back to a "dumb phone" so I've got an MDA Compact (aka i-Mate JAM) and am very happy with it. I wouldn't want a bigger device.

thenikjones

Mike Temporale
06-29-2005, 10:49 AM
I've just stopped using my C500! Trying to sync both smartphone and x50V (PPC) with Outlook wasn't working - Contacts would be deleted from 1 mobile device and stay on the other. Since both devices use Microsoft OS, data leakage from Outlook is NOT acceptable :evil:

That's strange.... I've been using both devices and sync'ing both for a while now and I haven't noticed that problem. :?

Anyway, MDA Compact is a nice device too. 8)