View Full Version : External Antenna for the SMT 5600

frbill
06-06-2005, 11:20 PM
I am moving to an area in IL where cell coverage with Cingular is dicey. I would like to try and use an external antenna but no one seems to think there is an antenna that will work with the phone. Does anyone here have any experience with this problem? Also if I find the antenna adapter I may also put in line a 3 watt booster. Any direction or guidance would be appreciated.

Peace,

Fr. Bill Kessler

Mike Temporale
06-07-2005, 12:49 AM
I haven't heard of anyone adding an antenna to their phone. There is an external antenna mount on the back of the phone, I just don't know how or what you would connect to it. I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about it either. :?

frbill
06-07-2005, 04:26 PM
I called Wilson Electronics and apparently since Cingular brought out the phone they are getting a rig ready so you can hook up an external antenna. I guess I will just have to wait until they come out with their kit.

Peace,

Fr. Bill Kessler

Mike Temporale
06-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Oh, neat...

These look like more of a car mount antenna. Do they have something that is small and connects nicely to the phone?

Here's a link for anyone else that's looking http://www.wilsoncellular.com/welcome.htm

frbill
06-07-2005, 05:13 PM
That is what the tech I got on the phone told me. They first build an antenna adapter then you can attach it to one of their external antennas.

Peace,

Fr. Bill

dbk123
06-14-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm using a Smoothtalker with a connector to the phone that works for signal but is not a great physical fit.

http://www.smoothtalker.com/

I get three to four bars in my basement office with an antenna sitting inside a nearby basement window. Without the antenna and booster I can only occasionally connect. Make sure you get the AC adapter instead of the car adapter.

There is no connector specifically built for the phone, but the Audiovox 9900 connector works. I'm planning on getting some o-rings and maybe some electrical tape to see if I can make the physical connection less wobbly. I hope they'll make a better connector soon. The connectors are the cheap part of the kit.

DK