View Full Version : Rogers branded smt5600

dmt
06-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I just recently lost my AT&T branded smt5600 and replaced it with a Rogers unit and put it on fido the fido network. I've noticed a few things:

1) the rogers unit feels cheaper - buttons are actually loose
2) for some reason the phone can't find the Rogers network and always displays Fido as the servie provider. My old 5600 always displayed rogers and i had set rogers up as the preferred network. why is it now different? anythign to do w/ the merger and network changes?
3) power-up screen and sounds are different obviously. how do i get rid of rogers SOUND on power-up?
4) no m-mode etc.
5) GPRS seems slow. I was hoping the default rogers GPRS settings would work w/ my Fido SIM card, but i had to input the fido settings after all. is it normal to take about 20s to load up The Weather Network homepage for example?

I haven't really noticed anything else since i just unlocked it yesterday. can't wait to get my 1gb minisd card in it! :D

homeLAN
06-07-2005, 05:31 PM
2) for some reason the phone can't find the Rogers network and always displays Fido as the servie provider. My old 5600 always displayed rogers and i had set rogers up as the preferred network. why is it now different? anythign to do w/ the merger and network changes?
:D

I also have an unlocked SMT5600 (originally an AT&T Wireless phone) on the Fido network. Since we have very poor Fido coverage in our area, I was able to manually force the phone onto the Rogers network. I get much better signal strength from Rogers. Flush with this success, I tried to duplicate this on my wife's phone, a Sony-Ericsson T610, purchased from Fido. Just like yor experience, no joy. I can't manually force the T610 onto the Rogers network; it always shows Fido as the service provider. My guess: The locked phone locks you onto the Fido network. You can only manually force an unlocked phone onto another network.

dmt
06-07-2005, 06:12 PM
I also have an unlocked SMT5600 (originally an AT&T Wireless phone) on the Fido network. Since we have very poor Fido coverage in our area, I was able to manually force the phone onto the Rogers network. I get much better signal strength from Rogers. Flush with this success, I tried to duplicate this on my wife's phone, a Sony-Ericsson T610, purchased from Fido. Just like yor experience, no joy. I can't manually force the T610 onto the Rogers network; it always shows Fido as the service provider. My guess: The locked phone locks you onto the Fido network. You can only manually force an unlocked phone onto another network.

that's the funny thing, this was ROGERS branded phone before I unlocked it???? it can't manually find or select the rogers network at all, but it does show up on the phone's internal list of all the gsm networks in the world.

dmt
06-07-2005, 06:13 PM
ohya! one more observation. the homescreen doesn't have that mysterious triangle anymore :D