View Full Version : mpx200 user looking at 5600

smartphoneRI
06-05-2005, 04:37 PM
im in quite the love-hate relationship with my mpx200 i love what it can do but i also hate it sometimes....as well as cingular...i have thought about leaving but can seem to give up the smartphone.. which brings me to the 5600....i was just looking for a few answers..
1.) i havnt had a non flip phone in a long time are there any good carrying solutions out there for the 5600? cases or is key lock and in the pocket the best...
2.) how is the speakerphone quality..the mpx200 was always a bit low to use in any sort of non silent area...
3.) bluetooth sync...work well or issuses?
4.) anything i should look out for /problems /issues
and the final question
5.) is there any rummors of any new devices that would be worth waiting for... dont want to regret my decision in a few weeks....
Thanks for the help.... hopefully i dont get pulled back to the stupidphone side

gcherian
06-05-2005, 05:16 PM
dont want to regret my decision in a few weeks....

Trust me on this one - you will not regret anything for months......

I love the SMT5600, things that I know

1. I use a JAVOEdge screen protector and use the leather pouch it came with.
2. Speakerphone is ok to use, not the level of NEXTEL phones, but better than most others. (would be same as MPX220)
3. Bluetooth Synch - should not be any different from MPX (others will have to chip in here, for I have not used MPX)
4. I have few dust specs under the screen and I am thinking about sending it to the company to get it fixed. Funny - I did not have any for a long time (from Nov 04 to Apr 05) then all of a sudden there it was irritating when the back light is off.

George

Mike Temporale
06-06-2005, 04:18 AM
I would agree with what gcherian has said. It's a solid phone, and I don't think you'll regret the switch. Jerry made the switch and things have been much better than he expected. In fact, I think there are a number of people that have or are in the process of switching. :D

Dlogan
06-06-2005, 01:28 PM
I switched 3 days ago and absolutely love it. Not that I used it very much on the 220, but I don't think the 5600 has voice recognition. It does, however, have the voice tag capability.

HalM
06-06-2005, 01:38 PM
We are in the middle of phone evaluations too. I am one of the lucky MPx220 users that has not had a single problem, but all the bad press has me worried about it holding up for the long haul. I am probably going to buy a 5600 today off of eBay as a backup phone because of its relatively low number of issues.

Another option is the Treo 650. My partner moved off a standard Verizon phone to a Cingular Treo with EDGE last Friday and it too seems very nice so far. Because it is still Palm OS with a MS ActiveSync license, there is a bit of a learning curve to it. ActiveSync with Exchange was very simple to setup and use. But the screen is great (it will do OWA as well as OMA) and the keyboard is pretty easy to use. . . beats the heck out of either a MPX or 5600!

Unfortunately there are lots of issues with the Treo. Just go to one of their forums (like http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=70) Since we have a 30 day eval period with Cingular (Verizon is only 15 days) we will continue to see how it works for us.

Jerry Raia
06-06-2005, 03:58 PM
To all you MPx2** owners my advice is to dump them now while you can still get something for them. As Mike pointed out I got rid of my MPx220 for the SMT5600 and am very very happy with it. Even if you think the 220 is ok, the 5600 is better. :)

HalM
06-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Okay Jerry. I just spent $300'ish on an unlocked SMT 5600 on eBay. Waiting to hear when it will arrive, but I put my $$$ on your opinion. Hope it works as well as my MPx220.

Jerry Raia
06-07-2005, 08:37 AM
All I can tell you is my 5600 is much better than my MPx220 ( I went through 3 of them) and I was a die hard clam shell user.

HalM
06-10-2005, 12:32 AM
My 5600 arrived today. It is an unlocked AT&T phone and I am on Cingular. After a few minutes of playing around I had it up and running: phone, Internet and Exchange ActiveSync.

Here are a few questions. Is there a Cingular ROM available so I can get rid of all references to AT&T? I occassionally have an errror when I receive an email. Seems the Exchange server is trying to send the service text message to [email protected]. Any ideas why it is appending the "1"?

Finally, I found the modem driver but it will not install on the laptop with the MPx220 driver. Is there a trick I might be missing?

TIA

Mike Temporale
06-10-2005, 03:30 AM
Is there a Cingular ROM available so I can get rid of all references to AT&T?

This thread (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7335) should help.

I occassionally have an errror when I receive an email. Seems the Exchange server is trying to send the service text message to [email protected]. Any ideas why it is appending the "1"?

I can't say for sure, since I don't have Exchange Sync setup. Is your Exchange server in a different Area code? Prehaps it has something to do with location information on the server. Just guessing here.

Finally, I found the modem driver but it will not install on the laptop with the MPx220 driver. Is there a trick I might be missing?

TIA

I don't think I ever installed the modem driver. Mine works great, I use it as a modem at least a half dozen times a day.

Rocco Augusto
06-10-2005, 04:27 AM
i did the switch, i was hesitant but i took mike's suggestion and went through with it. i wont lie. its scary at first but 5 min with the 5600 and you wont look back. the only thing i dont like about the 5600 is what its missing, the mpx220 voice reconition program for opening applications, voice dialing, etc... i really miss that app.... but i have bluetooth voice dialing now so its an even trade ;)

-opti-

Mike Temporale
06-10-2005, 11:05 AM
You can setup voice tags on the SMT5600. Hit Start, highlight the app you want to launch with your voice, and press Menu / Add voice Tag. This works for contacts too!

Gaire
06-10-2005, 01:17 PM
I am trying out both phones this week and prefer the MPx220 because:
1-MPx220 key pad is bigger and the center blue round enter button is easier than a mini bar on the SMT5600.
2-Voice dial is a feature that I use all the time - just flip open the clam shell and hold the upper volume button. I love using the clock desk stand to voice dial.
3-The MPx220 external memory mini card is easier to remove than the SMT behind battery slot.

BTW, I have used a few Bluetooth devices and the Sony Erricsson HSH-300 is the best.

Jerry Raia
06-10-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm with you on 1 and 3. I have gotten used to the rocker on my 5600 but it still can go left or right when I want to "enter". :lol:

hughck
06-11-2005, 05:16 AM
I've had 3 mpx220, and found the volume too low, the mic cutting out and the screen too small. Just received my smt5600 about 6 hours ago. The volume is very good, as of now the mic is working, setup was easy, and the larger screen is very good.

I do miss the clam shell
I do not miss the voice commands, because the mpx220 most the time did not get them right for me, although I know others that say it works for them. I find the voice tag on the smt5600 does the same thing and for me better.
The buttons are a little small on the 5600, but I've not had any problem getting use to them.
The mp3 player sound great.
The camera, though not being great is better than the mpx220.

If I do not run in to any problems I will be very :lol: with this phone.

Mike Temporale
06-11-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm with you on 1 and 3. I have gotten used to the rocker on my 5600 but it still can go left or right when I want to "enter". :lol:

For me, the rocker just took a little while to get used to using. On occasion I still miss press, but it's rare. Just my expereince.

Jerry Raia
06-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah I have gotten better with it. I even play Flux Challenge as badly on it as I did with my MPx220 :lol:

HalM
06-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Mike, Raphael's package should be "pinned" at the top of the HTC forum and become require reading for any one using an unlocked phone. Thanks for the link! :clap:

Mike Temporale
06-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Mike, Raphael's package should be "pinned" at the top of the HTC forum and become require reading for any one using an unlocked phone. Thanks for the link! :clap:

Cool 8) I'm glad things are working out for you.

Maybe we should repost Raphael's link to the front page. At the time, most people didn't need the information in it, but that seems to be changing now. :)