View Full Version : Cingular swapping 5600 for MPx220

Dlogan
06-02-2005, 06:59 PM
My MPx220 just quit charging the battery. Must be something in the cable connection area. Everything looks fine with all of the pins, but the phone never recognizes the cable. Now for the good (great) news. I called Cingular's exchange (800-801-1101) to see what they would do. When I was told the MPx220 was on back-order, I asked if they could do something else. She came back and said they could send me a 5600. I couldn't believe it. If I had known that, I would have found something wrong with the 220 a long time ago. I sure hope I enjoy my new phone as much as I hear folks on here raving about it. Has anyone else heard of Cingular doing this?

Mike Temporale
06-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Is that an even trade? What did you pay for the MPx220?

Not that it really matters, I think you - like everyone else that has changed devices, will be very happy with the Audiovox. :)

Dlogan
06-02-2005, 08:49 PM
I am beyond worrying about trading even for this piece of junk. Besides, it's value today has nothing to do with it's original cost which I think was about $200. Anything would be considered an upgrade.

Jerry Raia
06-03-2005, 02:47 AM
As someone who sold his MPx220 on ebay and got the SMT5600 I can assure you, its worth it. You will be so happy with it. Do it. Yes I have heard of this from others. Cingular has done a stand up job in this fiasco.

hubzone
06-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Same thing happened to my 220 .. see my post mpx220 blues...
sounds like cingular is taking care of their customers.

Philip Colmer
06-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Should I be worried that Cingular are giving away 220s at Tech-Ed ... and that I've just won one?

--Philip

Dlogan
06-06-2005, 08:50 PM
There's a good reason they're giving them away. They're junk. I just got my 5600 in 3 days ago and can't believe the difference. Night and Day. At least you can't beat your price.

Jerry Raia
06-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Should I be worried that Cingular are giving away 220s at Tech-Ed ... and that I've just won one?

--Philip

No worries.....ebay 8)

HalM
06-07-2005, 12:42 AM
There's a good reason they're giving them away. They're junk. I just got my 5600 in 3 days ago and can't believe the difference. Night and Day. At least you can't beat your price.

As I have repeatedly said, I am a lucky MPx220 user. It is an absolutely great phone. Treat it like Windows 98 and power cycle it every day or so I bet it is trouble free.

That said, all the paranoia here has led me to spend a few $$$ and buy a SMT 5600 off of eBay as a backup phone. Impressions to follow.

AMelis
06-08-2005, 03:04 AM
Hate to rain on all this bashing, but I have had the SMT5600, which indeed is an outstanding phone, and I gave it away in favor of the MPx220. It really is a great phone which does everything I need it to do, and then some. Particularly since flashed with 1.43. Partially, because I prefer a flip over a candybar, but I simply have not had a days worth of problem.

I know that it is fashionable to bash it, and I wish you all well. You may check other forums, I think that you may find that outside this circle it ain't bad at all...... 8O

Dlogan
06-08-2005, 01:38 PM
The only gripe I've had so far with my new 5600 is that it's not a flip phone. It's going to take some getting use to locking keys. I hope you continue to enjoy your 220.

Mike Temporale
06-08-2005, 02:11 PM
There is a menu setting to have the keys locked automatically. However, I find that more of a pain. Locking is pretty quick and easy, just hold the end key for a couple seconds. I've been doing it so long that I don't even look at the screen to see if it's completed. When I'm done using the phone I press and hold the end key as I return the phone to my belt clip. Done, and done. :mrgreen:

Dlogan
06-08-2005, 02:18 PM
I have not looked it up in the manual and maybe you can explain what works and what does not work with the keys locked. I'm mainly asking about my Bluetooth headset and the voice dialing. Gees, I just realized it, but this is starting to be a conversation about the 5600 in the 220 forum. Sorry about that...last one.

Delnyc
06-15-2005, 07:37 PM
My MPx220 just quit charging the battery. Must be something in the cable connection area. Everything looks fine with all of the pins, but the phone never recognizes the cable. Now for the good (great) news. I called Cingular's exchange (800-801-1101) to see what they would do. When I was told the MPx220 was on back-order, I asked if they could do something else. She came back and said they could send me a 5600. I couldn't believe it. If I had known that, I would have found something wrong with the 220 a long time ago. I sure hope I enjoy my new phone as much as I hear folks on here raving about it. Has anyone else heard of Cingular doing this?

Same here they sending me the 5600! Oh well!!!

Sven Johannsen
06-15-2005, 09:51 PM
There is a menu setting to have the keys locked automatically.

There is? I haven't found it. I can find one that locks the phone and requires a password to unlock, but not an auto key lock. I was pretty used to that on my T610 so I looked for it on the phone and in the manual.

I have one irritant with the key lock. The backlight isn't activated with any keypress but the unlock softkey, which brings up the unlock screen "press #...etc". If I get an alarm I can't see what it is without the backlight quite often. If I press the unlock softkey it acknowledges the alarm before I get to see it, and there is no way to get it back. Usually it is pretty obvious but sometimes not.

Mike Temporale
06-16-2005, 03:21 AM
There is a menu setting to have the keys locked automatically.

There is? I haven't found it. I can find one that locks the phone and requires a password to unlock,

That's the one I'm talking about. You can set it up to automatically lock the keys (or phone, is there a difference??) after x amount of time. It does require a password to unlock, but you can set the password to 1 letter or number. :)