View Full Version : New Smartphone Backup Software from Sunnysoft

Mike Temporale
06-02-2005, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=1481' target='_blank'>http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=1481</a><br /><br /></div>Until now, your Smartphone backup options where fairly limited. All that has changed with the release of Sunnysoft Backup Manager SP 1.0. Much like its only competitor, Backup Manager supports backing up to your storage card, selective backup, scheduled backup, self-extracting backups, compression, and password protection. All this for $10 less and there is a trial version available. (I still don't understand why other guys stopped offering that. :? )<br /><br />You can download the trial version or purchase your license for $19.95, from our <a href="http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=1481">Affiliate store.</a> If any of you guys installs this, please let us know what you think of it. I'll be installing it later this morning.

Jerry Raia
06-02-2005, 07:19 PM
I just tried it. It seems to take longer to do the backup than Sprite does. It also installs an unlock program so you can app unlock your phone.

As a side note it seems Sprite has abandoned its backup for Smartphones. They have no interest in solving any of the problems with it. Perhaps that is why the demo is gone?

cortez
06-02-2005, 11:48 PM
another option is always welcomed! i've encountered a few issues with Sprite Backup recently. i've found that programs such as CityTimeAlarms can create havoc during a restore. i don't know if it's the Alarm settings or what, but if i backup then restore without CityTimeAlarms installed everything works fine. do the opposite and the Restore can run for more than an hour without anything happening. this is with the factory, Cingular 1.30 ROM.

believe me, i'm a backup/restore expert due to the ga-zillion ROM flashes i've put my phone through. and yes Jerry, the volume has been significantly improved with the latest ROMs... (i've even tested the Chinese ROM that includes WMP 10). when is Mr Moto going to make an official release!!??! i'll test out SunnySoft to see how it performs with a ROM upgrade (or downgrade, lol).

Jerry Raia
06-03-2005, 12:29 AM
They are probably waiting for people like you to finish testing it for them! :)

cortez
06-03-2005, 02:34 AM
(as i pick myself up off the floor and recover from Jerry's bodyslam comment...i think to my self..."Jerry...") you're probably right!!! i give ROM 1.43 a passing grade for the volume test case. now dangit Mr Moto, put that ROM on your site so others can get it...tomorrow (6/3) will work for me!!! heehee! :D

Jerry Raia
06-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Hey I admire your courage. No guts, no glory. :werenotworthy:

Mike Temporale
06-03-2005, 02:39 PM
This program seems to work really well. I don't mind the backup speed, I've set it to automatically backup at 3am on Monday mornings. The desktop component is pretty nice too, although I wish it would let me choose where is copies the file to.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this. I'll have to decide if I should hard reset and see if the restore works... 8O

lb505
06-06-2005, 03:03 AM
I actually bought the program but the unlock key they gave me does not work. I emailed them several days ago and have not had a response yet.

Mike Temporale
06-06-2005, 03:49 AM
I actually bought the program but the unlock key they gave me does not work. I emailed them several days ago and have not had a response yet.

Oh no... Say it ain't so?! Another good app with crap support. :-( I hope it's just a weekend issue.

Who did you email, Smartphone.net or the developer?

Mike Temporale
06-06-2005, 03:19 PM
The scheduler works! I set it to back up in the wee hours of Monday morning, and sure enough it was done when I awoke. :D Although, there was no message box telling me that it happened. I guess that's ok. As long as it worked.

Still not sure about restoring. I don't know if I'm ready to manually rebuild my phone if it fails. :?

Jerry Raia
06-06-2005, 03:41 PM
The scheduler works! I set it to back up in the wee hours of Monday morning, and sure enough it was done when I awoke. :D Although, there was no message box telling me that it happened. I guess that's ok. As long as it worked.

Still not sure about restoring. I don't know if I'm ready to manually rebuild my phone if it fails. :?

Well I do know that Sprite restore does work on my smt5600. Do you have that? Maybe use it as a backup backup for a test. :lol:

Mike Temporale
06-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Nope, the Sprite version I have/had wouldn't work on my phone. And now they no longer offer a trial version, so I can't use that. I'm thinking, I'll have to bite the bullet here, but I might wait until later in the week when I have some more free time. :)

Jerry Raia
06-06-2005, 03:52 PM
There is something to be said of a fresh start anyway. Clean registry, get rid of all the dead wood. For me I've only used a restore if I'm out of town and messed up my device. If I'm home with time like you said, I just start over.