View Full Version : SMT5600 ATTW vs. Cingular ROM versions

jfreiman
06-01-2005, 03:22 AM
I recently traded in my ATT Wireless SMT5600 for the Cingular model though Cingular's tech support/Replacement Center.

These are the differences I found checking out the two phone's ROM and WMP 10 options.

Items in green are higher numbers - I'm not sure if higher is always better, but it could. :wink:

http://www.audiovideofile.com/Forum_Images/SMT5600ROM.JPG

I have to send my ATTW phone back so there won't be any time to do any more checking out the versions on the phone, but you can feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the 'new', Cingular model.

Mike Temporale
06-01-2005, 04:07 AM
What I find really interesting is the newer Radio version and the Microsoft version. I wonder what kind of changes these new version have.

jfreiman
06-01-2005, 06:10 PM
I noticed one and possibly two diffences between the ATTW and Cingular versions.

1. Windows Media Player seems to handle album art better. In my ATTW phone some album art would not display when the tracks were being played. My Cingular model shows all album art so far including some which weren't being displayed.

2. When my phone is in vibrate mode the icon on the task bar has been changed. My ATTW version had a speaker with an "x" through it. Now it has an image which resembles the phone being 'shaken' with squiglies on either side.

I receieved my ATT Wireless SMT5600 within days of it's launch so there may have been newer versions of the phone shipped between that time and the Cingular merger.

If anyone has differnt versions of software on the ROM I'd be interested in hearing.

Mike Temporale
06-01-2005, 06:12 PM
2. When my phone is in vibrate mode the icon on the task bar has been changed. My ATTW version had a speaker with an "x" through it. Now it has an image which resembles the phone being 'shaken' with squiglies on either side.

Hey... That sounds pretty cool. Too bad there's little chance of getting that on my current phone. :(

jfreiman
06-01-2005, 06:16 PM

Hey... That sounds pretty cool. Too bad there's little chance of getting that on my current phone. :(

Just so there is no confusion in my description... The icon isn't animated. :(

Mike Temporale
06-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Just so there is no confusion in my description... The icon isn't animated. :(

That's ok. It's still cooler than the "x". :wink:

jfreiman
06-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Another thing I noticed is that when I switch from Cingular to former ATTW cell towers, my phone still says, "Cingular" and the roaming triangle is not present.

Damion Chaplin
06-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Hey... That sounds pretty cool.

Personally, I miss the speaker-with-x. I think it was immediately recognizable. It took me a while to even figure out what that box-with-motion-lines means. The icon is so small, it doesn't even look like a phone (it looks like a PDA).

At least it's better than the three-stacked-boxes icon on my old SE phone that meant 'hands free mode'...

Jerry Raia
06-03-2005, 02:57 AM
I still get the speaker with the "X" if I put the phone in Silent Mode, no tones or vibes. So now I can tell if its in Vibe Mode, Silent Mode, Or one of my normal modes just looking at those icons. The vibe symbol is the same one my old ipaq (5555) used when it was in vibrate mode.

MikeZQ
06-05-2005, 08:03 PM
I recently traded in my ATT Wireless SMT5600 for the Cingular model though Cingular's tech support/Replacement Center.

These are the differences I found checking out the two phone's ROM and WMP 10 options.

Items in green are higher numbers - I'm not sure if higher is always better, but it could. :wink:

I have to send my ATTW phone back so there won't be any time to do any more checking out the versions on the phone, but you can feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the 'new', Cingular model.

Is there any cost to trade an ATT for the Cingular 5600's. Ive been wondering if there was a way of getting the Orange ROM on my phone. This by far sounds like the easiest way.

frbill
06-06-2005, 11:17 PM
If there is a number we should call could you please share that with us. I too would like to get the Cingular Rom and it seems that you have found a way to do it via exchange.

Many Thanks in Advance!

Peace,

Fr. Bill Kessler

Gunr
06-09-2005, 08:10 PM
If there is a number we should call could you please share that with us. I too would like to get the Cingular Rom and it seems that you have found a way to do it via exchange.

Many Thanks in Advance!

Peace,

Fr. Bill Kessler

If your phone is unlocked, you can flash the Cingular rom on your AT&T 5600, it works really well!

PDADoc
06-09-2005, 09:40 PM

Many Thanks in Advance!

Peace,

Fr. Bill Kessler

If your phone is unlocked, you can flash the Cingular rom on your AT&T 5600, it works really well!

I would indeed like to do that, but I've not been able to locate the Cingular ROM yet. My 5600 is unlocked; where do I get it from?

jfreiman
06-14-2005, 01:20 AM

Is there any cost to trade an ATT for the Cingular 5600's. Ive been wondering if there was a way of getting the Orange ROM on my phone. This by far sounds like the easiest way.

I don't think that there is any way to "trade" one branded phone for another, but I had a warrenty issue and Cingular made the exchange for me - I already had Cingular service on my phone and they never asked who I had initially purchased the phone via (ATTW).

I got my new 'Cingular' phone in a matter of days without any hitch.

jessehope40
06-16-2005, 10:03 AM
i just traded my mpx220 through the cingulair warrenty exchange program and they gave me an audiovox instead. my buddy has an att version, and the differences weve noticed so far are:

1: mine has red numbers at the top left at boot up, his doesnt
(2.0.42.10 in case anyone is wondering)
2: mine has speakerphone, his doesnt
3:his has a favorites manager that he can change program favorties with, i do not have this

thats about all ive noticed so far....

Mike Temporale
06-16-2005, 10:56 AM
1: mine has red numbers at the top left at boot up, his doesnt
(2.0.42.10 in case anyone is wondering)

Strange, I haven't heard of this before... :?

2: mine has speakerphone, his doesnt

All Windows Mobile Smartphones have Spearkerphone. Just press and hold the talk key during a call. ;)

3:his has a favorites manager that he can change program favorties with, i do not have this

Favourites Manager?? My AT&T doesn't have that?! At least, not that I recall... :?

jfreiman
06-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Yea Mike,

I may not have mentioned it, but yes, the Cingular ROM shows the ROM version during bootup - in red.

encece
07-10-2005, 08:28 PM
http://device.home actually works on the Cingular branded model. Didnt work on my AT&T version and I believe I had the exact same settings in connections and IE.

jfreiman
07-10-2005, 10:38 PM
http://device.home actually works on the Cingular branded model. Didnt work on my AT&T version and I believe I had the exact same settings in connections and IE.

Well, I have the Cingular SMT5600 and the above link doesn't work for me.

My browser comes up with the message, "Alert, The page you are looking for can not be found."

I'm on the Cingular network in San Francisco, CA.

encece
07-11-2005, 02:22 AM
All very odd. Since this is something I have been confused about why it works/doesnt work, would you mind trying to help me figure it out?

Could you tell me your GPRS Settings, Proxy Settings and IE Settings?

jfreiman
07-11-2005, 07:23 PM
GPRS: (Cingular GPRS)
Connects to: The Internet
Access Point: wap.cingular.com
User Name: [email protected]
Password: *unknown*
Primary and Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
IP Address: *blank*

Proxy: (MEdia Net)
Connects From: The Internet
Connects To: WAP Network
Proxy (name:port): wireless.cingular.com:80
Type: HTTP
Username: *Blank*
Password: *blank*

IE:
Automatically detect settings (unchecked)
Select Network: The Internet

The above are all the default settings from Cingular - I have not compared it to other settings posted in this forum for people modifying their ATTW phones to Cingular (of which I was one :wink: )