View Full Version : Cellular Customers Dissatisfied with Data Services

Mike Temporale
05-23-2005, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilepipeline.com/163105981' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilepipeline.com/163105981</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Most wireless subscribers aren't using cellular data services and many of those who have tried such services are dissatisfied, a survey in the United Kingdom released Friday by the NOP research firm. The survey covered 800 U.K. users and found that 77 percent of the respondents said they have never used data services such as video messaging, gaming or ringtone downloads. Only 12 percent said they were satisfied with those services. In addition, 44 percent of those who did use data services stopped using the services because they didn't feel they work."</i><br /><br />While I do agree that mobile data services are not up to the quality and reliability that they should be at, I don't think the reason 44% of people stopped using data services is because they don't work. In my opinion, the problem would be more along the lines of "they don't work as expected", or "the ringtone did not work on their phone". I've had unlimited data on my device for a while now, and I can't imagine my Smartphone without it. What are your thoughts about data services on your device? Does it work for you?

Jerry Raia
05-23-2005, 06:51 PM
I have unlimited as well. I can't imagine not having it. I use it several times a day and it works just as I expect it to. I do wish it was just a bit faster but most of my use is syncing with an exchange server and checking other email so I usually don't notice the slow speed.

chrisspera
05-23-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm not overjoyed either. I have unlimited data on Cingular for my PDA2k; and I often get disconnects or have trouble connecting. Its a good serivce, but definitely doesn't work the way it should.

Sven Johannsen
05-23-2005, 07:51 PM
I've got Cingular's unlimited data as well. But that doesn'yt cover what the phones are really advertised to do. Do you suppose the complexity of the billing might have something to do with the dissatisfaction? The unlimited data doesn't include txt messages or MMS. You can pay for those one at a time, or buy packages giving so many a month, or sign up for unlimited. Txt and MMS are seperate things. If you get a full MMS package that doesn't include text. Then if you want a ringtone or background, those of course are more.

I can see getting one of these great phones and getting a few ringtones and backgrounds, texting all you friends, taking pictures and videos and MMS them around, and then getting your first months bill....and never using that stuff again.

paulvallen
05-23-2005, 10:56 PM
I am with Orange in the UK and finally I have found a carrier with reasonable data prices. I don't know what you typically pay per MB in the US but now I pay £1.00/MB (around $1.83), whereas with my previous provider it was £2.30/MB (around £4.25).
Admittedly, to be eligible for this lower rate I have to pay an initial £4.00 for the first 4MB, whether I use it or not (I usually do). The only problem is that when I roam in other European countries, the price goes up to £10.00/MB ($18.50!). I must admit that I use still a GPRS usage meter, to ensure that I don't go way over.

Am I happy with the service? Yes and it works exactly as I expected, but I have friends who have had phones for more than a year and still not managed to get sending or receiving of MMS working properly. On the whole, I think many people give up too easily and then just say it doesn't work...

apeguero
05-24-2005, 03:07 AM
I just transferred over to Cingular from AT&amp;T Wireless plan. Although I got the unlimited EDGE plan I still got a first bill for $592.00. I spent over a half hour with Cingular demanding that they fix their screw up, which in the end they did. My real bill is more around $114.00 which I'll pay. This was for about 26mb worth of data. I can't imagine poor souls out there paying so much for this. I say it's the absolute gouging these thieves are doing that will eventually do them in when people decide to go back to simple cell phones.

Foxbat121
05-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Data plans are all rip offs. I already have unlimited hi-speed internet at home and in office. I don't see any reason to pay $25/mo for slower than dialup internet access while I'm outside.

MobileRob
05-24-2005, 04:36 PM
I have had an unlimited data plan with Verizon for 3 years and love it. The 1X service is reasonably fast and averages speeds around 80 kpbs. I also cannot imagine not having it. I am really looking forward to switching to the EVDO plan when it comes available in my area.

Rob. 8)

Jason Dunn
05-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Based on what I've seen from people around me, GPRS is too slow to be effective, and coverage isn't the greatest. Windows Mobile devices aren't yet reliable enough yet either - I have a client, a doctor, who calls me about once a week when her device just stops getting email. The devices need to get smarter and more stable.

I mean, hell, on the weekend my Smartphone simply would NOT work with GPRS for 48 hours....nothing I tried worked, including power cycling the unit. Then all of a sudden yesterday it starts working. :roll:

Mark Larson
05-25-2005, 12:03 PM
The only reason I have GPRS access is because its just so cheap with T-Mobile. If i were with Cingular i'd go without.

I haven't been able to configure the built-in email client to work with either the t-mobile proxy or gmail directly. I honestly think my T610 had a better email client. :roll:

I would be happy with a non-exhorbitant per-kb rate that doesn't require a monthly plan. I rarely need internet access on the go, but when I need it, its great to have.

Sven Johannsen
05-25-2005, 02:57 PM
The only reason I have GPRS access is because its just so cheap with T-Mobile. If i were with Cingular I'd go without.

It's $5 different/month. Thats a couple of lattes.

Mark Larson
05-26-2005, 04:11 AM
The only reason I have GPRS access is because its just so cheap with T-Mobile. If i were with Cingular I'd go without.

It's $5 different/month. Thats a couple of lattes.

Unlimited is $25/mo - and i don't drink coffee ;)

scottb
05-30-2005, 06:27 PM
I have Verizon's unlimited pda data plan ($45 per month). As others have said, I can't imagine having a smartphone without a data plan. I use it mainly for e-mail, via Wireless Sync, but I also browse the Web (using Opera) and read news (Web sites and RSS feeds).

I agree Windows Mobile needs to be more stable, but I does work pretty well most of the time. I am still amazed that my phone can receive email pushed to it while I'm browsing the Web or using the calendar. Windows Mobile is the reason I use my i600 instead of my Treo 600.

greghaz
05-30-2005, 07:59 PM
I just love the fact that I can check and respond to personal and office email from anywhere. Also cool is that waiting in line is much less frustrating when I always have internet access (albeit limited) in my pocket.

Jerry Raia
05-30-2005, 08:11 PM
I just love the fact that I can check and respond to personal and office email from anywhere. Also cool is that waiting in line is much less frustrating when I always have internet access (albeit limited) in my pocket.

Exactly the way I feel about it. :)

LenE
05-31-2005, 03:45 AM
I use Verizon's EVDO on my Audiovox XV6601WOC. At $45 per month, it is a bit pricey and I think more people would use it if it were more affordble. Still, no more searching for hotspots! If it were just me at home, it would be my only ISP.

It will get better (and cheaper) over time.

promano
05-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Based on what I've seen from people around me, GPRS is too slow to be effective, and coverage isn't the greatest. Windows Mobile devices aren't yet reliable enough yet either - I have a client, a doctor, who calls me about once a week when her device just stops getting email. The devices need to get smarter and more stable.

I mean, hell, on the weekend my Smartphone simply would NOT work with GPRS for 48 hours....nothing I tried worked, including power cycling the unit. Then all of a sudden yesterday it starts working. :roll:

Most users don't know how to adjust the GPRS speeds of their phone.
The default speeds are barely more than a modem.
You can increase your speeds right on your phone, and get download speeds of 512kb, or at least I do in the NY area.
I also have an unlimited data plan from AT&amp;T, and I am locked into their plan for 2 years.
I won't give this plan up for anything, and unless Cingular comes out with a better plan,
I probably won't switch, or if I have to switch, I'll find another carrier...
NONE of Cingular's plans are close to what AT&amp;T offered in the last 3 months of 2004.

Pete...

Jerry Raia
06-01-2005, 01:25 AM

Most users don't know how to adjust the GPRS speeds of their phone.
The default speeds are barely more than a modem.
You can increase your speeds right on your phone, and get download speeds of 512kb, or at least I do in the NY area.
I also have an unlimited data plan from AT&amp;T, and I am locked into their plan for 2 years.
I won't give this plan up for anything, and unless Cingular comes out with a better plan,
I probably won't switch, or if I have to switch, I'll find another carrier...
NONE of Cingular's plans are close to what AT&amp;T offered in the last 3 months of 2004.

Pete...

Imagine not knowing how to adjust the GPRS speed of your phone! Dummies!!!

ehhhhh, I would explain it here but that would be showing off, being on the staff here and all so you go ahead Pete, how was that done again??
:worried:

subzerohf
06-01-2005, 08:54 PM
... I'm literally on the edge of my seat now, Pete. How did you do it :?: