View Full Version : PIE alternatives

dmt
05-18-2005, 08:36 PM
I finally got the GPRS settings for my smt5600 w/ Fido. I surfed the web w/ PIE a bit, but it's kinda slow. I also wasn't able to open a webpage for web-based email. it says PIE can't open it because it has frames.

has anybody tried other browsers like opera or thunder hawk, skweezer, etc.. can any of them handles frames better. I'd really like to be able to check email via this webpage.

Mike Temporale
05-19-2005, 01:40 AM
I use Opera, but I don't think I have any Frame based sites to test it against. It's a really good browser for the Smartphone, and the current beta is free. :)

cortez
05-19-2005, 02:02 AM
i use Opera on my MPx220 to read company Outlook webmail. it's perfect for those times i'm in a car (not driving), airport, etc. and i want to take a quick read of my email.

me
05-30-2005, 03:45 AM
I've used both PIE and Opera on the SMT 5600. Opera is a nice alternative, but I've found a couple problems with it.

I don't see any way to import bookmarks or favorites into Opera from PIE or other programs. Is there? Having to type them in manually, on the phone keypad, is a lot of hassle. There really should be a way to import pre-existing bookmarks and favorites?

I also haven't seen auto-complete working in the SM version of Opera. Again, with the limited smartphone keypad, auto-complete becomes more important than ever. (Auto-complete works in PIE.)

Are there other SM alternatives? On PIE, there are a few PIE add-ons, that extend its functionality, tabs, etc. One free one is even pretty good, I think called ftxp or something like that.

cortez
05-30-2005, 04:17 AM
if you have the Windows XP version of Opera you can import your IE favorites into Opera, then export them as an Opera bookmark file - Opera6.adr - then copy the *.adr file to the folder named \Storage\Application Data\Opera on your Smartphone. you'll have to reboot your phone after you've copied the file in order for the bookmarks to appear. i use Opera on my laptop so it's an easy workaround for me. you're right that auto complete doesn't work in Opera, but my workaround is the bookmark creation process i describe above.

me
05-30-2005, 05:07 AM
if you have the Windows XP version of Opera you can import your IE favorites into Opera, then export them as an Opera bookmark file - Opera6.adr - then copy the *.adr file to the folder named \Storage\Application Data\Opera on your Smartphone. you'll have to reboot your phone after you've copied the file in order for the bookmarks to appear. i use Opera on my laptop so it's an easy workaround for me. you're right that auto complete doesn't work in Opera, but my workaround is the bookmark creation process i describe above.

I don't have desktop Opera. I guess I could download a demo just to do that. A lot of trouble though. Also, I have some mobile sites as favorites in PIE, that I don't have on the desktop computer. I think that is a major defect, not to have any kind of bookmarks and favorites importation.

I do have desktpop Firefox. I think it stores bookmarks in a bookmarks.html file. Could that be renamed to opera6.adr, and would that work in SM opera?

About the second point--bookmarks are not a substitute for auto-complete. One doesn't bookmark every site one visits. Auto-complete really comes in handy when typing in URLs. For Smartphone even more important than with a desktop computer, because the Smartphone's keyboard is so insufficient. Does desktop Opeara also have no auto-complete?