View Full Version : still like this phone?

rhommer
05-18-2005, 08:04 PM
I have been researching smartphones for the past year and haven't liked any of them. Finally, I have come across this audiovox and I think I am ready to purchase...

Do you still like yours?

Mike Temporale
05-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey rhommer,

I've moved your post over here since it's not really related to the Audiovox SMT5600 appearing on Amazon last fall. ;)

Anyway, in regards to your question, I think you'll find most people around here really like their Audiovox regardless of it's age. It's a good solid stable phone. I have been using a HTC Typhoon in one form or another since late November and it's been a great phone. (the Orange C500 and Audiovox SMT5600 are both based on the HTC Typhoon design)

Now, the Motorola people are another story alltogether. ;)

jfreiman
05-21-2005, 09:01 PM
After having my SMT5600 for about 8 months on the ATT Network, I have since moved back over to Cingular (unlocking and manually 're-branding') and love my phone.

I have a 512MB storage card inside and store/play everything from games, audio to video I've transcoded from my ReplayTV (DVR).

I love my phone and still 'brag' about it friends and family - that is, the friends and family memebers who have not already purchased one themselves. :)

Jerry Raia
05-22-2005, 02:01 AM
I'm all over the SMT5600. Its a great phone. So well made. Now that Mike had to bring up Motorola just to get me all agitated I have to vent. Moto has totally failed in the Smartphone arena as far as I am concerned. They couldn't even make it to bat in the Pocket PC Phone Edition. The Mpx220 should be an embarrassment to them. Instead of rushing to fix it, they hid under their desks in a fetal position sucking their thumbs. Where is the new ROM?? They can't do anything right. Maybe they should just stick with walkie-talkies.
:bad-words:

Ok I feel better now.

jfreiman
05-22-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm all over the SMT5600. Its a great phone. So well made. Now that Mike had to bring up Motorola just to get me all agitated I have to vent. Moto has totally failed in the Smartphone arena as far as I am concerned. They couldn't even make it to bat in the Pocket PC Phone Edition. The Mpx220 should be an embarrassment to them. Instead of rushing to fix it, they hid under their desks in a fetal position sucking their thumbs. Where is the new ROM?? They can't do anything right. Maybe they should just stick with walkie-talkies.
:bad-words:

Ok I feel better now.

I'm wondering. Who really is at fault for the MPx220? Is it Motorola? Microsoft? The manufacturer?

It's really odd that Motorola would come out with a phone that is either ready for release or one that has fatal flaws which can't be corrected.

Is it possible that the MPx220 users are placing the 'blame' and anger towards the wrong company?

I never have like Motorola and honestly probably like Microsoft too much, but all these issues with the MPx220 seem reminiscent of the first gen MS Smartphones of years past.

Jerry Raia
05-22-2005, 08:20 AM
It almost doesn't matter to me who is at fault. Motorola has its name all over the phone. In the first place they shouldn't have released it with all of its flaws and in the second, should have stood up when it turned out to be a failure not hide behind the carriers like Cingular and let them take the heat. To me that is weak. Now, this thread was about the Audiovox and I am quite pleased with mine to say the least. I highly recommend it. I'm going to control myself and not bash Moto here anymore.

For at least 10 minutes. :worried:

HalM
05-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Jerry, I am looking for a reason to buy a 5600 off eBay as an extra phone. How does the screen size on the 5600 compare to the MPx220? Readability equal to, better than???

Jerry Raia
05-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Jerry, I am looking for a reason to buy a 5600 off eBay as an extra phone. How does the screen size on the 5600 compare to the MPx220? Readability equal to, better than???

The 5600 has a bigger screen and is more readable in my opinion.

HalM
05-22-2005, 05:21 PM

The 5600 has a bigger screen and is more readable in my opinion.
Cool. Thanks.