View Full Version : Microsft ActiveSync 4.0 Beta ...Was I the last one here to install it?

xultar
05-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Seemless so far and it doesn't seem to cause any issues with my current devices.
What are your thoughts.
I like it....well as much as you can like something that hasn't changed much from the original versions that you didn't particularly like all that much or sometimes cursed under your breath.

Sven Johannsen
05-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Beta? Unless you stumbled on to one, the one that has been reported on, primarily in developer circles, is the real thing.

There is really no benefit for anyone at this point installing it. Anyone that doesn't have a WM2005 device anyway. In fact you lose stuff when you do. WiFi (or network) ActiveSync is gone, except to an Exchange Server. If you have been syncing over GPRS to other than an exchange server, i.e. your desktop, that won't work under AS4.

Jerry Raia
05-17-2005, 02:05 AM
I can't tell the difference with my usage anyway.

Kris Kumar
05-17-2005, 03:03 AM
I can't tell the difference with my usage anyway.

Same here.

phoenixag
06-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Well, as I have a Wifi PPC (Dell Axim X30) as well as my Xphone II, I will never install AS4 unless they put back the Wifi syncing back in.

As my PPC is almost always in a hard case, syncing it with the cradle is not an option. I hate taking it out of the case, syncing then putting it back.

I have been syncing through Wifi since about 5 months now and I just love the feature.
There is no way I can give that up.

Sven Johannsen
06-17-2005, 05:03 AM
phoenixag, if it comes to it you can always go to BT sync. It's less than $50 these day to pick up a BT USB dongle for the desktop. XP SP2 supports most natively and setting it up is no tougher than getting WiFi sync to work first time. I have MS's BT keyboard and mouse and love it, and the dongle that came with it does support my AS connections.

You can certainly stay where you are as you really don't get anything oput of AS4 and Dell isn't giving you the opportunity to upgrade to MW2005 which would force it.

phoenixag
06-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Yes, I prefer to stay as I am currently. I have a lot of adapters and card readers, including those for BT and IR. I have tried BT sync (in fact, I use it quite a lot with my Xphone II). It works good, but it lacks the range of Wifi. So if I want to sync from my drawing room or the bathroom, or even the neighbour's house, it is not possible.

Of course, you might ask why I would want to do such things when I can just sync when I am at the desk. It's just the flexibility I suppose.
Sometimes BT is so shortranged, I can't even sync when I am lying on my bed (which is 3 feet away from the comp). Wifi here works perfectly.

Plus, I gave up syncing through BT for my PPC because it is much slower than Wifi.

I really disagree with MS's idea to remove functionality already present in the program. Companies are supposed to innovate, not remove already existing features.