View Full Version : Opera Questions

me
05-14-2005, 02:00 PM
I've downloaded and tried a little bit the latest Opera for Smartphone beta, and it certainly has some advantages over Pocket IE. A couple of questions though.

I don't see a way to import Favorites from Pocket IE into Opera Bookmarks. Is there no way to do that? There should, so one doesn't have to re-enter those already created.

Will a bookmarks.html file created in Firefox on the desktop work in Pocket Opera for SM?

When I tried Opera for Smartphone, I don't see AutoComplete working at all for typing URLS in the address bar, as it does with Pocket IE, as it does on my desktop computer with both IE and Firefox (my main desktop browser).

For Smartphone, AutoComplete is even much more important than on the PC, due to the difficulty of typing in URLs with the phone keypad. If there is no AutoComplete in Pocket Opera, that is a serious defect.

Or, could there be something to change in an INI file, settings, etc., that will make AutoComplete work in Opera for WM Smartphones?

me
05-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Another question. Are there other Pocket IE alternatives that could be tried for Smartphone WM2003?

On my PPC, for example, I use a freeware app called ftxp browser. It acutally uses PIE, but adds functionality to it, like tabbed browsing. Nothing like that for smartphone?

SnozBerries
05-16-2005, 07:40 AM
A while back I wrote a desktop application that would add/remove/import/export/backup the phone's IE favorites, and I thought of expanding it to support Opera. After looking at Opera's favorites file format, and the fact that Opera had just done their first beta (this was months ago), I decided to pass on that feature. I didn't want to spend extra time trying to make my application work against a moving target. Maybe once Opera officially releases version 1.0 will I reconsider doing it.

If you are interested in adding Opera favorites manually I suggest that you try this: Create a couple of favorites in Opera, and then locate the favorites file. I think it was stored in their main installation folder, but I'm not certain. Then copy it to your desktop and edit it in Notepad, add some favorites, copy it back to the phone and try it out. The file format was kind of tricky, specifically when working with sub folders.

me
05-16-2005, 04:04 PM
If you are interested in adding Opera favorites manually I suggest that you try this: Create a couple of favorites in Opera, and then locate the favorites file. I think it was stored in their main installation folder, but I'm not certain. Then copy it to your desktop and edit it in Notepad, add some favorites, copy it back to the phone and try it out. The file format was kind of tricky, specifically when working with sub folders.

They are not called "Favorites " in Opera, but "Bookmarks", same as Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox. Those save bookmarks in a file in one's profile folder called bookmarks.html. I looked for a file with "Bookmarks" in the title on the Smartphone (with Opera installed), and did not find one.

Do you know what file Opera for Smartphone stores its bookmarks in?

They really should include an option to "import Pocket IE Favorites" in Pocket Opera.

About your application-Opera for desktop has been around for a long time, and has many users. I assume the method of bookmark storage is the same in the pocket and desktop versions. Therefore, if you supported Opera (desktop) in the application, that should also work for the SM version. Is there no Opera support in the app? You might want to add it in any case, as well as support for Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox.

SnozBerries
05-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Actually my post was in regards to Opera for the smartphone, I've never used the desktop version. Opera for the Smartphone stores its favorites/bookmarks file in a file on phone (I forget the location), and is sort of a tricky file format. Sorry for any confusion.