View Full Version : Motorola Releases MPx220 ROM Update

Jason Dunn
05-12-2005, 09:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=632337' target='_blank'>http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=632337</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I just tried using the Motorola System Update tool (v1.0.0.28) with my AT&amp;T MPx220 (ROM v.343) attached. As usual, I let it connect to the device, then connect to the internet to search for an update. Usually a red check mark says "Failed" but not this time....SURPRISE! The following message appears: This update is only for AWS devices purchased in North America. You will be updated to ROM Version 1.39.00. This tool will update the Operating System on your device."</i><br /><br />Any MPx220 owners tried this out yet? Post your experiences!

jfreiman
05-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I don't have the MPx220, but I am really jellous of this utility. I have a similar one for my Asus motherboard, and would really enjoy this for my SMT5600.

Good luck to all you MPx220 owners, I really wish you a consistant, stable experience which I have had with my SMT5600.

edgar
05-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I have flashed my ATT MPX220 (formerly v0.343) with this v1.39 with no errors. Interesting that this ROM made it out before the Cingular one - and they had a sign up page to get Cingulars... I can't find any official writeups on Moto's site to see what was patched/changed withthis update.

Its only been 2 hours since I flashed and Sysinfo is showing a bit (like 50k) more overhead free at powerup than I had before. But, that could be a misnomer since I load and unload stuff all the time trying them out. I may have had a stub of some old programs left under the old ROM image.

Earpiece volume is much better and speakerphone is louder as well.

I've reloaded all my apps now and am interested to see if memory management and all the leaks are plugged. I'll report back in a couple of days.

Downside: you still can't use your BT headset for voice commands! I don't remember for sure but I understood this was a manufacturer (Motorola) not a carrier (Cingular/AT&amp;T) or MS OS stack problem. Anyone know who I should be damning everyday as I hold up my phone in the car for voice commands?

Oh and, it's still WM9.

-Edgar

Jason Dunn
05-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Oh and, it's still WM9.

Sheesh! :roll:

seaflipper
05-12-2005, 11:14 PM
I have flashed my ATT MPX220 (formerly v0.343) with this v1.39 with no errors. Interesting that this ROM made it out before the Cingular one - and they had a sign up page to get Cingulars... I can't find any official writeups on Moto's site to see what was patched/changed withthis update.

Its only been 2 hours since I flashed and Sysinfo is showing a bit (like 50k) more overhead free at powerup than I had before. But, that could be a misnomer since I load and unload stuff all the time trying them out. I may have had a stub of some old programs left under the old ROM image.

Earpiece volume is much better and speakerphone is louder as well.

I've reloaded all my apps now and am interested to see if memory management and all the leaks are plugged. I'll report back in a couple of days.

Downside: you still can't use your BT headset for voice commands! I don't remember for sure but I understood this was a manufacturer (Motorola) not a carrier (Cingular/AT&amp;T) or MS OS stack problem. Anyone know who I should be damning everyday as I hold up my phone in the car for voice commands?

Oh and, it's still WM9.

-Edgar

I believe it's the bluetooth stack or the BT chip itself that Motorola used on the MPx220 that doesn't support voice dialing. It may not be possible for this to ever work on the MPx220.

I have the same problem with my Treo650, BT voicedialing simply does not work and none of the ROMs from PalmOne/Sprint/Cingular etc have fixed it.

Jerry Raia
05-13-2005, 12:03 AM
The next happy owner of my MPx220 will have the joy of doing this upgrade instead of me. 8)

cortez
05-13-2005, 07:52 AM
i've flashed 1.39 (AT&amp;T) and 1.40 (GoTone) and there's a slight improvement in earpiece volume. i'm going with the 1.40 ROM until the Cingular ROM is released. right now this is the only thing keeping me from bailing out on the MPx220. i'm holding out hoping the Cingular ROM will further improve earpiece volume. every time i'm ready to dump my MPx220 i get really nervous. i don't wanna drop another few hundred on a phone to be disappointed again. ("..what?...what do you mean i'm dreaming?..")

HalM
05-13-2005, 04:09 PM
The next happy owner of my MPx220 will have the joy of doing this upgrade instead of me. 8)

How much do you want for it? PM me the price.

Jerry Raia
05-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Its on ebay already.