View Full Version : Motorola Starts UMA Field Trials

Jason Dunn
05-05-2005, 05:14 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilepipeline.com/162100902' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilepipeline.com/162100902</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Motorola said Tuesday that it has started field trials of its Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) technology that it claims will provide seamless handoffs between cellular and Wi-Fi networks. The trials are being conducted in conjunction with seven European wireless operators, Motorola said in a statement. The technology is increasingly attractive to users and operators because it eventually will enable voice calls to automatically switch from cellular networks to lower-cost voice-over-WLAN networks."</i><br /><br />You've got to wonder about a technology that has the word "unlicensed" in it's name - that can't be good for marketing purposes. The basic concept sounds interesting, and I can see an implementation of this technology being popular in office buildings: so often you're on a call, step into the building, and your call drops. Based on my usage patterns though, I can't see myself using this technology - I don't make enough phone calls to warrant something such as this. If it would also work for data transfers, however, I'd be more interested - I tend to check email on my Smartphone a lot indoors, and signal often dips (and dies).

Sven Johannsen
05-05-2005, 08:06 PM
The Unlicensed refers to the WiFi side of this. WiFi and BT and other things work in unlicensed RF bands. That is, you don't need a license to transmit on them, not the FFC doesn't regulate the devices that operate in them. I'm sure you recall the days when you had to get a CB license. Imagine if you had to get a License to operate your WiFi, BT, 2.4 or 5.8GHz remote phone, 900Mhz wireless headsets.

The cell frequencies are licensed, on the other hand. So it is a technology that allows mobile (cell phone) access over unlicensed bands.

Jason Dunn
05-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Aha, thanks for the explanation! Makes sense.

Jon Childs
05-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Jason,

It will work for your data as well. Unfortunately you will still have to go through the carriers network (like the voice data). It would be much better if it just used your Wifi based IP connection, but then the carriers couldnt bill you for the bytes.

Jon