View Full Version : MyMail Push Email for Rogers Wireless Customers

Mike Temporale
04-28-2005, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/news/2005/apr/27/news6.html' target='_blank'>http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/news/2005/apr/27/news6.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Rogers Wireless Inc. and Visto Corporation today announced the availability of MyMail: a new wireless service that provides instantaneous, two-way push e-mail, calendar and contacts to a customer’s wireless device of choice. ...By simply downloading the MyMail application over the air to any MyMail supported wireless device, consumers and businesses using ISP email (also known as POP / IMAP or Internet email) will immediately be able to receive, send and synchronize their e-mail while away from their desk. Account activation and service setup can be completed directly from the device by visiting <a href="www.mymail.rogers.com">www.mymail.rogers.com</a>. All that is required is a valid Data Service Plan from Rogers Wireless along with the e-mail address and password – MyMail takes care of the rest."</i><br /><br />MyMail is offering 2 different methods to keep your device in sync. The first is the ever so common desktop redirector for the individual user, and the other method is a middle-ware application for the IT department to manage. The good news is that MyMail works with the Audiovox SMT5600. Too bad I can't find a single Rogers Wireless store in the downtown area that has received their shipments of this phone. All the sales reps can offer is "soon". :?

vmobilesoftware
04-29-2005, 01:30 AM
Too bad I can't find a single Rogers Wireless store in the downtown area that has received their shipments of this phone. All the sales reps can offer is "soon". :?

I have got mine two weeks ago from that store:
http://www.telephonestogo.ca/contact_us.html

Mike Temporale
04-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Really? None of the Rogers stores have them in stock, it's a little weird that these guys have them. However, they don't have it listed on their website, so maybe they had them. :?

canux
04-29-2005, 03:22 AM
Mike...you should make a trip out west. In Vancouver, they're everywhere now, both at Roger's Wireless stores and other boutiques that sell phones for all carriers (Wireless Wave). Even if they don't have it, they can get it from their warehouse as I was in Costco a few weeks ago and the rep. at the RW booth told me that.

As for me, I only have another month to go until my Telus contract runs out and I can ditch my original SPV that I had hooked up on Fido's crappy network (out here, anyways).

I thought you had a 5600 already???

Mike Temporale
04-29-2005, 03:27 AM
I thought you had a 5600 already???

I do, and I also have a C500 too. I'm watching the stores for 2 reasons. First, I'm hoping to get a extra wall charger, and a second battery. And second, to let you guys know that they are finally on the streets. Well, at least on the streets in Toronto. ;) I didn't realize that they had been in such a wide availability out west. :?

canux
04-29-2005, 04:53 AM
I've seen aftermarket batteries going for $10 US on eBay...not sure how good they are though.

Well, we're on a roll out here...2010 Olympics; World Junior Hockey tournament this Christmas; and now the 5600 before Toronto :wink:

BTW...what do you use for a case? Or, do you use a case?

Mike Temporale
04-29-2005, 11:10 AM
BTW...what do you use for a case? Or, do you use a case?

I use a Silicone Jacket (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,7381) and the case that comes with the phone. I didn't really care for the case at the start, but it's actually a nice case. It takes a little use to break it in, but it holds the phone prefectly, and it's easy to open. :D

subzerohf
04-30-2005, 06:02 PM
"Rogers Wireless Inc. and Visto Corporation today announced the availability of MyMail: a new wireless service that provides instantaneous, two-way push e-mail, calendar and contacts to a customer’s wireless device of choice. ...

I just got my SMT 5600 from a Rogers store. And the first thing I tried is to synchronize my inbox with the Exchange Server at work. So far, I have not been able to sync "over the air" using ActiveSync. When I press Sync, it tells me to "verify your dialup or proxy settings".

I wonder if MyMail is the only option to sync wirelessly over the air (with Rogers)?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can provide some insights!

Mike Temporale
04-30-2005, 07:13 PM
You need to setup the exchange server to sync over the air. I'm not sure how this is done. Your Exchange admin should be able to make the needed changes. :)

subzerohf
05-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Thanks. I will talk to our administrator. Meanwhile, I installed and tried out the MyMail software from Rogers.

It is the client version, and I installed it on my laptop. So in order for me to receive email, my laptop has to be running, connected to the office LAN, and Outlook is running. Either one of these is missing, there is no email. What a hassle! Strike one.

I have my Inbox structured with subfolders. MyMail can only sync the main Inbox folder. So I have to turned off all my subfolder rules, so that all emails stay in the main Inbox. Strike two!

So call "synchronizing" means adding and deleting. I updated the info of a contact in Outlook on my laptop - there is no update on the device. Strike three!

When MyMail is running on the device, and the device is connected to my laptop through USB, the device does not appear on Windows Explorer or ActiveSync. It means that I can't copy files from the device. I have to turn MyMail off in order to work with the device storage.

It's really crude. I have to persue ActiveSync. I don't care about "real-time" or "push" email. I just want better control of the synchronization. Rogers'd better fix up this piece of software.