View Full Version : Nokia Unveils 4GB Music Phone

Jason Dunn
04-28-2005, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.betanews.com/article/Nokia_Introduces_4GB_Music_Phone/1114615305' target='_blank'>http://www.betanews.com/article/Nokia_Introduces_4GB_Music_Phone/1114615305</a><br /><br /></div><i>"iPod Mini, meet the Nokia N91. At a special event in Amsterdam Wednesday, Nokia rolled out a new line of multimedia mobile phones that bring together the latest technology with sleek styling. In particular, the N91 packs in a 4GB micro hard drive, USB 2.0, 3G network connectivity and stereo headphone jack. Consumers more interested in photos than music can opt for the Nokia N90, which sports a 2-megapixel Carl Zeiss lens with VHS video capture support. The flip phone includes a "multi-hinge twist-and-shoot design" and integrated flash."</i><br /><br />The gauntlet has officially been thrown down - we all knew this was coming, but the fight is now on between cell phones and 1.8" hard drive-based audio players such as the iPod Mini and the Creative Zen Micro. It's too early to know details about battery life and weight, but with the addition of a 2 MP camera with a Carl Zeiss lens and VHS video capture (usually 320 x 240 resolution), this could prove to be a very interesting phone indeed. I have a Creative Zen Micro, and I take it with me when traveling, but if my phone could perform the same tasks, would I leave the Zen behind? Perhaps - what about you?

cmorris
04-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Depends on the battery life...

Mike Temporale
04-28-2005, 05:53 AM
For sure. My phone only has 512MB, and It's fast becoming my music playback device of choice. :D

Graffiti
04-28-2005, 01:56 PM
I second cmorris's concern. Perhaps when fuel-cell technology comes around to a more acceptable physical size (and ouput), that we could be done with this problem.

I do have other niggling thoughts as well:

Sound quality. Given the not-so-audiophile qualities of compressed audio, I do expect a certain amount of quality from MP3 playback devices. Would these do-it-all or multimedia phones provide that level of quality I'm accustomed to?

The "all-in-one worry". Convergence is the hot thing these days particularly when we talk about pocketable electronic gadgets we've come to love ... but I always get this distinct worry in my head: what if the MP3 playback on my phone fails (as in, breaks.) While I get it fixed at the technician's, I'd be without my phone (undoubtedly my priority while mobile) for the same amount of time.

This worry of mine would be around for quite awhile unless the day comes when fixing my all-in-one gadget would cost more than a replacement purchase. Judging by the current speed of things, we have a long way to go in expecting convergence tools to cost less than the sum of all its parts.

Stinger
04-28-2005, 02:13 PM
It looks like Nokia has really raised the bar with this phone. It's just a shame that it's not due out for ages.

but I always get this distinct worry in my head: what if the MP3 playback on my phone fails (as in, breaks.) While I get it fixed at the technician's, I'd be without my phone (undoubtedly my priority while mobile) for the same amount of time.

If I was to get a device like this then I would certainly get insurance out on it too. Mobile operators like Orange will pick up and replace faulty phones within 24 hours. If my iPod broke, I would have to wait about 6 weeks to get it replaced.

HalM
04-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Graffiti is dead on. Think how many limited function phones out there can't get it right.

On the other hand, could this signal the start of serious market segmentation? A "messaging" device, a "multi-media" device, a "phone" device?

Mark Larson
04-29-2005, 03:43 AM
You're comparing a 1.8" drive device (iPod and others) to a 1" microdrive-based device?

Anyway, it looks very ugly. The 6670 looks reasonable, but then its the lowest-end. It looks like something i'd buy for a kid at Chinatown.