View Full Version : Shocking News: Users Could be Sick of Fancy Cell Phone Features

Jerry Raia
04-25-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/mobile/2005/0418mobile2.html?fsrc=rss-wireless' target='_blank'>http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/mobile/2005/0418mobile2.html?fsrc=rss-wireless</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Whenever I write a newsletter item about a new cell phone feature, whether it's a digital camera, MP3 player, or even a GPS-enabled driving application, I always get a few e-mails from readers who say, "Bah! Just get me a cell phone that works for voice wherever and whenever..." (They usually don't actually write "Bah!" I added that for effect)."</i><br /><br />Imagine this! Users want phones that actually work?? This must be a shock to some of the major manufacturers. I will not name them here of course. :grinning devil: Some great points were made in this article. Phone makers insist on putting more "features" into our phones that hardly anyone wants while neglecting the basics (like being able to actually hear the person you are talking to). What do you think?

Mr.Phil
04-26-2005, 01:39 AM
I would say that would be a very North American point of view. In Asia/Europe/Middle East/Africa, mobile phones are put through alot heavier feature usage than here. Eg in Japan, for many people their cellphones are their primary source of internet connectivity, browsing, email etc. I would say on average features are implemented outside NA first, then brought here for us slow "All I need is voice" adopters.

The second driver here is product differentiation. How do you make your cellphone stand out from the rest? At the moment it is features, even if it is a feature you use twice a year.

Quality? Not sure how that stands these days. Over the last few years, especially with long distance telephone service, consumers have shown time and time again they are willing to put up with less quality and reliability to save a few bucks. Only when consumer attitudes truly reverse, and quality becomes a focus will we see the Motorola brick-phone like quality return :D

Mark Larson
04-26-2005, 01:49 AM
I'm just glad we have cheap enough voice minutes that we can use those more than texts, emails and internet. Its a lot more convenient and oftentimes faster to call and get information or set up plans than to SMS or use the internet.

But of course i'm an atypical consumer and i want it all :twisted:

xultar
04-26-2005, 02:32 AM
I say, if you don't want features then stick to a land line.

YES---the North American wireless network SUX. That isn't the phones fault.
The fact that your service stinks is because the infrastructure stinks.

Jerry Raia
04-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Do you work for Verizon? Their CEO sounds just like that. :lol:

Mark Larson
04-26-2005, 08:45 AM
I say, if you don't want features then stick to a land line.
Where do I sign up for this land line that I can keep in my pocket while I road trip to California? ;)