View Full Version : T-Mobile?

me
04-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Anyone know if there are plans for T-Mobile USA to provide any smartphones to its users?

Mark Larson
04-22-2005, 11:08 PM
They just did away with the 6600, so they might be getting in something to replace that.

Let's travel back in time to see what was hot in 2003, then we can predict what they'll be picking up. :lol:

Mike Temporale
04-23-2005, 12:58 AM
There's a chance that the US might see the T-Mobile SDA, but there are no confirmations.

You can always pickup another Smartphone and unlock it (if need be) and use that on T-Mo's network.

pt24481361
04-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Yes, I am very sure that T-Mobil will bring some SmartPhone into US market. :D

me
04-26-2005, 04:43 AM
There's a chance that the US might see the T-Mobile SDA, but there are no confirmations.

You can always pickup another Smartphone and unlock it (if need be) and use that on T-Mo's network.

2nd paragraph--of course, I know about that. I may end up doing that, currently looking at some SMT5600 auctions on Ebay.

However, my question was about what T-Mo would make available to buy from them. That would certainly be preferable--since my contract has expired, I can get the same discount as a new customer, it would then be covered by Tmo's warranty replacement policy, would have been tested on the system, etc.

Am fed up with TMO-USA's poor phone choice though (no comparison with Cingular-ATTW in that regard, for example), and may just buy an outside one. Before I do that though, I was wondering if anyone had any inside info on new phones to come out on T-Mobile USA in upcoming months.

First paragraph: "There's a chance that the US might see the T-Mobile SDA, but there are no confirmations."

Well, one could say "there is a chance" about anything. For instance, "there is a chance" that little green men from Mars will take over the earth tomorrow. Not very likely, but "there is a chance".

Or--is your info really something more than a "chance", although not a "confirmation"? Have you heard any inside info from T-Mo about this, that although not definite, not confirmed, is info from a reliable source that represents a good possibility of that outcome?

Or just a guess, wishful thinking perhaps, since the phone is labeled "T-Mobile"? I recall when that phone first came out in Europe, there were posts on this forum from people who were "SURE" that it would come out soon in the USA, perhaps because it was named "T-Mobile". But now, months later, it has not. I think we have learned that T-Mobile USA is quite independent of its parent company in Europe, makes its own decisions regarding phones, etc. So the fact that a phone comes out on T-Mobile Europe is NO indication that it will come out on T-Mobile USA.

But, if you have more info than just a guess (athough not "confirmed"), please let us know. Any idea when?

me
04-26-2005, 04:45 AM
Yes, I am very sure that T-Mobil will bring some SmartPhone into US market. :D

Could you please tell us how you are "very sure"?

Do you really have some info to that effect, or is it just a guess, wishful thinking, etc.?

me
04-26-2005, 04:52 AM
They just did away with the 6600, so they might be getting in something to replace that.

Actually a little OT, since the Nokia 6600 is a Symbian smartphone, and this forum is about Microsoft smartphones.

That doesn't matter to me though. I don't know much about Symbian, but I've heard some good things about it. I might possibly be interested in getting a Symbian smartphone, if T-Mo USA had one I liked. Some of the Nokia Symbian Series 60 smartphones look interesting to me, but none that T-Mobile carries. I have read some good things about the 6600, but I don't like the form factor at all, so fat and bulky. Ditto with the 3650, don't like the form factor. In any case, it doesn't look like T-Mo USA will carry those any more.

They get a new Nokia phone to replace those two retired smartphones. And what is it? A phone that seems to be designed for a ten year old! The 3220, with its flashing lights, is not a smartphone, has no Bluetooth, various disadvantages. But hey, those flashing lights might attract the kiddies! Seems typical of T-Mo's phone choices!

Mike Temporale
04-26-2005, 04:52 AM
Well, one could say "there is a chance" about anything. For instance, "there is a chance" that little green men from Mars will take over the earth tomorrow. Not very likely, but "there is a chance".

Not Again! Keep those bastards away from me! 0X :lol:

As soon as I know something, it's posted on the front page. So I know nothing more than what I said above. 8)

me
04-26-2005, 02:56 PM

Not Again! Keep those bastards away from me! 0X :lol:

As soon as I know something, it's posted on the front page. So I know nothing more than what I said above. 8)

Well, then, saying "there is a chance of something" is really saying nothing, as there is a "chance" of anything happening.

I could see something between "there is a chance" and definite confirmation though. If, for instance, you had heard something from a T-Mobile employee that would lead you to believe that there is a good chance of the T-Mobile SDA being adopted in the USA, but with no definite confirmation by the company, you might not wish to put that on the "front page", but you might possibly mention it in a thread like this. There is definitely a lot of ground between "there is a chance" and definite confirmation.

But if you just say "there is a chance", and won't explain that statement any further, that's really rather meaningless, as "there is a chance" of anything. "There is a chance" that I will turn into Elvis today, for example. :lol:

So, if you could explain your statement any further, from what kind of source you got that idea, etc., that would be appreciated, even if it's not something definite enough to put on the front page.

sracer
04-27-2005, 02:53 PM
But if you just say "there is a chance", and won't explain that statement any further, that's really rather meaningless, as "there is a chance" of anything. "There is a chance" that I will turn into Elvis today, for example. :lol:

So, if you could explain your statement any further, from what kind of source you got that idea, etc., that would be appreciated, even if it's not something definite enough to put on the front page.

That's not how things work. There are soft rumors, hard rumors, pie-in-the-sky wishes, etc. And then there are plans... and plans can change.

What good would it do for you to know if something was a plan or a rumor? That's not a guarantee that it will happen.

If a weatherman says there is an 80% chance of rain and it doesn't rain... guess what... the weatherman was right!

If I were to tell you that there is a 75% chance of T-Mobile offering the Audiovox SMT-5600 smartphone in July...how does THAT help you? (Would you actually make a purchasing decision based on a prediction that someone on an internet forum made?!)

T-Mobile has made no statement about the future availability of a windows smartphone. Make your decision based on THAT... trying to squeeze rumor or speculation out of someone is NOT going to help you make an informed decision.

me
04-28-2005, 04:37 AM
True, one shouldn't make decisions based on statements written by strangers on Internet forums. There is a whole lot of BS on the Internet, including people pretending to know about something of which they know absolutely nothing.

For instance, the guy who wrote in this thread that he is "absolutely sure" that T-Mo USA will release a Windows Smartphone. I asked him how he could be "absolutely sure" of that, no answer. (I guess if he is the CEO of T-Mo USA he might really be sure of that! But more likely someone making a guess, wishful thinking, etc. If he/she wrote "my guess is that....", it would be completely legitimate. But to say "I am absolutely sure that.......", when in fact he is just guessing, is BS. THere certainly is a lot of that on the Internet, and people should be wary of what they read on the net. Rumors spread easily, that have no basis in fact.

On the other hand, when someone like Mike Temporale posts here, a writer for this excellent web site about smartphones, one might tend to put some credence in what he says. What he wrote about that here was "there is a chance", which as I pointed out, says absolutely nothing. He said no confirmation, OK, but I pointed out there is a lot of room in between nothing and confirmation. If he had written that he had heard from a reliable source at T-Mobile that there was a good chance of a smartphone coming out from T-Mobile soon, although no confirmation, although not definite, I would certainly put some credence in what he says. Wouldn't you? I wouldn't know for sure about this, but I would certainly believe him that there is a good chance of it. Therefore, I asked him to explain his statement. It doesn't look like he will, though. If he said "there is a good chance....." (and especially could explain why he thinks that), that addition of one word ("good") would make all the difference in the meaning of the phrase, whereas "there is a chance" means nothing.

That's not how things work. There are soft rumors, hard rumors, pie-in-the-sky wishes, etc. And then there are plans... and plans can change.

What good would it do for you to know if something was a plan or a rumor? That's not a guarantee that it will happen.

If a weatherman says there is an 80% chance of rain and it doesn't rain... guess what... the weatherman was right!

If I were to tell you that there is a 75% chance of T-Mobile offering the Audiovox SMT-5600 smartphone in July...how does THAT help you? (Would you actually make a purchasing decision based on a prediction that someone on an internet forum made?!)

T-Mobile has made no statement about the future availability of a windows smartphone. Make your decision based on THAT... trying to squeeze rumor or speculation out of someone is NOT going to help you make an informed decision.