View Full Version : Noob needs lots of help pleaaaaaaaaaaseeee

hari-bhari
04-22-2005, 02:01 AM
hey guys, i just got an smt5600 which i then unlocked so i could use it with t-mobile. ive been using it for a day and its awesome, but i had some questions:

1) I know firmware upgrades are available, where can I get them, and are they safe to install? Will it ruin my unlocking?

2) I have played mp3s in windows media player, but I can't seem to set it as my ringtone because the settings option only looks in the windows folder, and I don't have enough space to put an mp3 there. I only have space in the storage area, but I cant get it to choose a tone from there. What can I do?

3) Is there a good site for free games and stuff? Do they make 3d games for our phone?

4) I had an outlook email with attachments, but it seems like they werent sent to my phone. Can you set the phone to download attachments with the email messages as well?

5) Can I set individual ringtones for each specific people, and if so, how?

6) Is there any way to get rid of all the mMode and AT&T crap on my phone. I dont like that it says mMode when booting and AT&T wireless when making a call...

7) How can I copy all the contacts from my SIM card to my phone, and then have the phonebook not look through the SIM card when searching (so each entry doesnt show up twice). Also, is there any way to keep a running backup of my phone contacts on my pc, without my pc contacts also transferring over onto my phone?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kris Kumar
04-22-2005, 04:21 AM
1) I know firmware upgrades are available, where can I get them, and are they safe to install? Will it ruin my unlocking?

There are no firmware upgrades for SMT5600. It is perfect the way it is. ;-)

4) I had an outlook email with attachments, but it seems like they werent sent to my phone. Can you set the phone to download attachments with the email messages as well?

Have you tried the "Entire message" option. Mailbox->Menu->Options->Account Setup->select the account->click thru the screens to the place where you can specify the download size.

I believe the "Entire Message" option gets the complete mail. But you mentioned that you are low on the memory. Mails are downloaded into the phone's memory by default and also the attachments.

5) Can I set individual ringtones for each specific people, and if so, how?

Select the Contact->Edit->scroll down to "Custom Ring Tone" (middle of the screen).

6) Is there any way to get rid of all the mMode and AT&T crap on my phone. I dont like that it says mMode when booting and AT&T wireless when making a call...

I remember that someone had written up a guide to do just that. Will have to dig it up.

Mike Temporale
04-22-2005, 10:20 AM

I remember that someone had written up a guide to do just that. Will have to dig it up.

Here it is. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7335) It's pretty extensive too. :)